Fantasy Pool Magazines 2014

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Picked up Sportsnet and The Forecaster today. The usual good stuff mixed in with some stupidly bold predictions intended to generate buzz.

gabby19

Sep 8, 2004
I just noticed my sports forecaster magazine is missing several team pages, and some are included multiple times...anyone else with the same???

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Wow, that blows. You should be able to get a refund for that. I just checked and my magazine is completely fine.

gabby19

Sep 8, 2004
Mine is fine, but wow thats really unfortunate for you. Hopefully you can get a refund.

Unfortunately every copy at the Shoppers Drug Mart I bought it from was the same. It was the Bernier cover. Wonder if the different cities had different printings???? Oh well.

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
best predictions

I am curious as to how you would rate the magazines (including on-line). For me it would be:

1. Dobber
2. Forecaster
3. FHS
4. Sportsnet
5. McKeen's
6. THN

Those are really the only ones I really know. Are there other's worth mentioning? Are there other's you have been disappointed with? Thanks for your opinions.

jeremyvandermolen

Aug 12, 2013
Fenwick, Ontario
I am curious as to how you would rate the magazines (including on-line). For me it would be:

1. Dobber
2. Forecaster
3. FHS
4. Sportsnet
5. McKeen's
6. THN

Those are really the only ones I really know. Are there other's worth mentioning? Are there other's you have been disappointed with? Thanks for your opinions.

Poolers Guide would be in there too.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Forecaster went with a very bold prediction in their mag.

Spoiler alert: They believe Tyler Seguin is going to have a big year.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Forecaster went with a very bold prediction in their mag.

Spoiler alert: They believe Tyler Seguin is going to have a big year.

I feel bad for anybody new to fantasy hockey who picks up that magazine and takes Seguin over Crosby in their pool. Idiotic prediction.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
I feel bad for anybody new to fantasy hockey who picks up that magazine and takes Seguin over Crosby in their pool. Idiotic prediction.

The Sports Forecaster usually makes bold prediction every year, but giving the Art Ross to Tyler Seguin is kinda weird.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
I still think Sid is the #1 fantasy option, however Sequin deserves to be extremely high as well, likely right there with Stamkos, Giroux, and Tavares.

Sequin will be a year older, and Dallas is going to be an offensive power house next season. Think about that PP... Goligoski, Spezza, Benn, Sequin, Nichushkin/Hemsky.

With Neal traded away, the Pittsburgh PP got a little worse, and Malkin's line also became easier to defend which will allow teams to really focus in on Crosby. Letang and Ehhoff will help boost some offensive output with their puck moving however.

In my mind Sid should be good for 100-110 points should he play for a full season. But sequin could easily move above 90 if Nichushkin takes a step forward.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I still think Sid is the #1 fantasy option, however Sequin deserves to be extremely high as well, likely right there with Stamkos, Giroux, and Tavares.

Sequin will be a year older, and Dallas is going to be an offensive power house next season. Think about that PP... Goligoski, Spezza, Benn, Sequin, Nichushkin/Hemsky.

With Neal traded away, the Pittsburgh PP got a little worse, and Malkin's line also became easier to defend which will allow teams to really focus in on Crosby. Letang and Ehhoff will help boost some offensive output with their puck moving however.

In my mind Sid should be good for 100-110 points should he play for a full season. But sequin could easily move above 90 if Nichushkin takes a step forward.

I agree. I think Seguin is due for big things and 90 pts is not out of the question. But The Forecaster mag predicts him getting 110 pts and beating Crosby et al. for the Art Ross. Imagine youre a new fantasy hockey fan and seeing that. You'd be badly led astray as Crosby is the best option. Could Seguin win the Art Ross? Sure he could. He's a superstar in the making. But I'd put the odds of that at 10-15% this year. I would have been move comfortable with them projecting a 92 pt season and placing him at 3rd or 4th, but blowing everyone out of the water and easily cruising to a scoring title? Give me a break.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I agree. I think Seguin is due for big things and 90 pts is not out of the question. But The Forecaster mag predicts him getting 110 pts and beating Crosby et al. for the Art Ross. Imagine youre a new fantasy hockey fan and seeing that. You'd be badly led astray as Crosby is the best option. Could Seguin win the Art Ross? Sure he could. He's a superstar in the making. But I'd put the odds of that at 10-15% this year. I would have been move comfortable with them projecting a 92 pt season and placing him at 3rd or 4th, but blowing everyone out of the water and easily cruising to a scoring title? Give me a break.

When I actually needed these magazines for fantasy help I'd always buy all of them, so I doubt a single project is going to cause anyone harm. Plus a new hockey fan isn't going to be able to pick up a magazine and just win a pool with it, so there's really no harm from their prediction.

And considering that so far Crosby has often been injured there's probably a 50% chance that Seguin would actually end up better anyways. That injury in 10-11 cost me about $800.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
When I actually needed these magazines for fantasy help I'd always buy all of them, so I doubt a single project is going to cause anyone harm. Plus a new hockey fan isn't going to be able to pick up a magazine and just win a pool with it, so there's really no harm from their prediction.

And considering that so far Crosby has often been injured there's probably a 50% chance that Seguin would actually end up better anyways. That injury in 10-11 cost me about $800.

You sound bitter. I will still continue to draft Crosby every time over Seguin for the foreseeable future until he proves he can reach Crosby levels. Which he has never shown he can do. Crosby got 102 points as a rookie, Seguin got 22. There's a difference here.

Alltime99

Jul 23, 2014
Love this time of year. I love compiling all the data I can get! Bring on Excel!

I know that projections don't mean a hill of beans at the end of the season, but makes prepping for the season even better.

Seguin overall? Forecasters missed it. Bold Predictions are good for magazine sales, cause people remember it if it comes to pass, and if it doesn't, no one remembers to hold it to them.

Noly

Mar 3, 2014

A 50% chance

that Tyler Seguin

will end up being better

than Sidney Crosby

is what that guy just said

71GenoMalkin

Jul 13, 2010
Has anybody heard if the Ultimate Pool Preview (UPP) will be back this year?. I've always enjoyed their work. Anyone know of anything similar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad