Fantasy Pool Magazines 2014

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Thought I'd start up our annual Pool Mag watch for 2014.

The popular magazines are:
Dobber - August 1 (digital only)
The Hockey News - late July, early August. sometimes mid July if youre lucky
Sportsnet - not sure
The Sports Forecaster - late August
McKeens - late August (may not be in hard copy though)

There's a bunch more so feel free to add your own favourites here.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
from the THN head writer

"Brian Costello ‏@bcostellothn 4h
@TMLCentral Just finished Poolbook. It should be out first week of August."

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I could be wrong but I don't think it does. I remember this being discussed last year. Any TNH subscribers who can verify this?

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Dobber released today.

The projections are pretty conservative in places. For example, Tavares is projected to get 83 points albiet in 75 GP. Anyone else check it out?

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
I purchased THN fantasy guide yesterday, they have an electronic version available for 2.99 that works really well if you have an ipad as it is delivered through the Zinio app which is essentially a specialized magazine reader app. After a read through, business as usual for THN. Decent overall quality and content, nothing special or out of the ordinary but the content is really polished. They did have an emphasis on fancy stats this year which I appreciated. Overall, certainly worth the $2.99, and the delivery through the magazine app is awesome and certainly added some value over just a PDF.

Just bought Dobbers Guide this AM, planning on enjoying some coffee and having a read through shortly!

batman78

Aug 14, 2011
Fantasy Hockey Standard is out now too. Deserves a mention, it's another good one.

Maple Leaves

Jun 25, 2008
TO
I picked up a copy of The Hockey News Poolguide in Downtown Toronto as i needed a hockey fix (yes grabbed dobber too but it's nice to have a physical copy), haven't seen any other 'newsstand' ones yet.

Pretty standard from THN, the team/player analysis leave a lot to be desired. A solid read but not much there to back up their projections.

There was only one projection that caught my eye and it was Jake Allen with 35 wins as I don't think he gets there with Brian Elliott in the mix. Also according to hockey reference only 13 times have goalies recorded 35 or more win seasons in their first 2 seasons in NHL history and Allen's 'first' season was really just a cup of coffee. That list shrinks to only 3 if you just count a goalies first NHL season.

Maple Leaves

Jun 25, 2008
TO
The union station newsstand in Toronto has both The Score Forecaster and Sportsnets fantasy magazine as of yesterday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad