Proposal: Fantasy GMing: Sharks

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
What's the general feeling on which direction the Sharks will be headed in? I would assume a full on rebuild would be a reasonable approach for a typical organization in this situation but seems like the Sharks are the eternal retool type organization that won't strip it down. I think I've heard Doug Wilson comment on this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The other thing is with the length of the existing deals you almost wonder if it might actually be worth it to double down and bring in even more veterans to keep this thing going, since you won't even get a clean rebuild slate until 2025 to 2027 assuming Couture, Burns, Vlasic and Karlsson can't be moved. You can start a rebuild today but even those picks and prospects ELCs will have expired before those monster deals come off the books.
I've long suspected its just the Doug Wilson employment longevity plan.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
What's the general feeling on which direction the Sharks will be headed in? I would assume a full on rebuild would be a reasonable approach for a typical organization in this situation but seems like the Sharks are the eternal retool type organization that won't strip it down. I think I've heard Doug Wilson comment on this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The other thing is with the length of the existing deals you almost wonder if it might actually be worth it to double down and bring in even more veterans to keep this thing going, since you won't even get a clean rebuild slate until 2025 to 2027 assuming Couture, Burns, Vlasic and Karlsson can't be moved. You can start a rebuild today but even those picks and prospects ELCs will have expired before those monster deals come off the books.

Among fans the general direction we should be headed is still very mixed.

The feelings are getting even more muddled, even for someone like me that has been staunchly "burn it down" the last two+ years, now that the team finds itself one point out of a playoff spot in this wacky year, and Jones looking like a damn good goalie all of a sudden, which makes this deadline a bit of a toss up.

Then taking into account what you said about our current contract issues, and the length on those contracts, and the current financial climate in the NHL while the freeze is in place, could we really even rebuild in the first place.

Then we have to take into consideration whether DW or our owner would even be willing to rebuild.

So yeah, I do not think there is a simple or concise answer to what direction the Sharks are, or should, be headed in.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I can see Dallas off the top of my head making such a move but the Sharks aren’t exactly itching to move him so it makes little difference if you or anyone wants to think he has negative value for whatever stupid reason they want to use to bullshit themselves.
The same Dallas with an aging core and Klingberg/Heiskanen already taking the offensive usage?

No way Dallas wants Burns

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The same Dallas with an aging core and Klingberg/Heiskanen already taking the offensive usage?

No way Dallas wants Burns

You can use more than two defensemen with offensive usage but again speaking for myself as a Sharks fan, I’m not looking to trade Burns yet and I don’t think the team is either.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im like the Simek deal.

Also, Taylor Hall would look really good in a Sharks uniform

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

In the last interview Wilson gave he said the plan is to replenish the farm system from last years and this years draft. He also said he’s not trading this years 1st. It sounds like he’s willing to take on cap in exchange for picks. Hopefully he sticks to it because this team may sneak into the playoffs but they are no where near a cup contender.

I think he’s in wait and see mode until after the expansion draft

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Among fans the general direction we should be headed is still very mixed.

The feelings are getting even more muddled, even for someone like me that has been staunchly "burn it down" the last two+ years, now that the team finds itself one point out of a playoff spot in this wacky year, and Jones looking like a damn good goalie all of a sudden, which makes this deadline a bit of a toss up.

Then taking into account what you said about our current contract issues, and the length on those contracts, and the current financial climate in the NHL while the freeze is in place, could we really even rebuild in the first place.

Then we have to take into consideration whether DW or our owner would even be willing to rebuild.

So yeah, I do not think there is a simple or concise answer to what direction the Sharks are, or should, be headed in.

I think there's only one viable option, and that is a re-tool with the goal to be good again as quick as possible.

Like you mentioned, you can't really half-ass a rebuild.. and with all the contracts, the Sharks made their decision when they committed to the core guys. And that decision was not made too long ago. There's no point being stuck with a handful of big money veterans who have lost their motivation and just show up to play the games because they have to.

Sure, their window of opportunity wouldn't be a long one, but i don't know how you do anything else. Best case scenario they're close what Boston has done for a few years, worst case they don't make it far in the playoffs but still make the playoffs. With the cap space they have they should be able to make some good moves to bolster the team.. then it's up to some luck in the young guy department.

They could add more space too by buying out Vlasic. Surprisingly they get 5M cap relief 2 out of 3 next seasons and after that the cap has presumably gone up so remaining penalties aren't a big deal. I don't know if the owners are willing to spend with everything that's going on but if they want to maximize their options for the short-term, there's no point paying a 3rd pairing dman 7M if you can then use 5M on something else.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Florida is first in the league, I'm pretty sure they're not trading the guy that's winning them games regardless of him being UFA. If they lose him, they lose him, wouldn't be any different than losing a rental they picked up at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad