www.half-wallhockey.com
Trades at deadline:

SJ trades:
Dubnyk
2021 3rd

FLA trades:
Driedger
2021 7th

FLA has Knight, is likely losing Driedger to FA, this way they can use Dubnyk as a backup for their run and still get something out of their expiring UFA

BUF trades
Taylor Hall (50% retained)

SJS trades
2022 2nd
Marcus Sorensen
Alexander True

BUF gets some assets, Sorensen there for cap purposes. If another team beats out that offer, Sharks bid up.

SJS trades
Radim Simek

TML trades
2021 4th

TML needs depth on defense, Simek is a solid bottom pairing defenseman who can step up to the second line when needed and provides a physical presence.

Offseason:

Sign Hall 5x6 mill
Sign Dreidger 2x3 mill
Buyout Jones
Re-sign Balcers, Gambrell, Donato, Gregor, Blichfeld

sharks1-png.416938

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem with the Simek deal is that if we move him at the deadline, we have to expose Burns to Seattle which I don't understand why we'd do that if we're retooling to compete better.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Come home Taylor Hall!!
This is the place that will stabilize your career. San Jose has stabilized and elevated the careers of so many (e.g. Burns, Jumbo, Boyle, Kane, etc.). No more running, come home Taylor.

tumblr_o1t4f0MOmx1sznyklo1_1280.jpg

2016+Honda+NHL+Star+Skill+Competition+aivAfAhaw_tx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: elitepete

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
No thanks to any of this, especially some of those post trade signings/buyouts, other than getting Hall for that paltry package.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
The problem with the Simek deal is that if we move him at the deadline, we have to expose Burns to Seattle which I don't understand why we'd do that if we're retooling to compete better.
I know that Burns can still play but are you really worried that Seattle would take him?
He's 36 and will have 4 more years at 8M/per owing, he has 1150 games on the odometer.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know that Burns can still play but are you really worried that Seattle would take him?
He's 36 and will have 4 more years at 8M/per owing, he has 1150 games on the odometer.

Yes because he has trade value better than nothing or the 4th round pick they'd get from doing this Simek deal.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I like the idea behind these trades. Driedger makes sense, shuffling a depth guy or two for picks also makes sense.

I don't think Hall is ridiculous either. I certainly would like to see the Sharks add a forward. Obviously don't go around throwing away 1st round picks, but if there's someone they can get for relatively cheap who could come in and be motivated to play his best hockey of the season for 15 games, then why not.

Reason i say that is i think the dynamic of this team can completely change with one player. I still think of the Canes when they needed a winger and got Niederreiter who went crazy. Totally different team. Similar to SJ they had a lot of other pieces in place already. EK could get excited and play like a madman for the final stretch run.

Hall and the Sharks feel like one of those weird matches that could work, and there's really never a better opportunity to throw a dart. And if not him could be someone with less name. Columbus added Vanek for peanuts few years ago when they weren't sure if they could make it or not and he scored 15 pts in 19 games and then they gave the Caps a run for their money.

Even if they just end up being 1st round fodder, i think it's important for the morale of the veteran guys and how motivated they're going to be for next season to have the feel of being back in the playoffs, especially if on top of that they ice a better team next season. Just accepting we're bad and waiting for next season is promoting losing culture. If the most you're losing is a pick and a prospect while also recouping some picks somewhere else, it's not going to hurt your re-tool much.

Reactions: Dicdonya

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I know people are down on Hall and there's currently a negative reappraisal of his career going on but he's certainly going to return a lot more than that at 50% retention

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think so, if he was on waivers he'd clear because no one is taking on that size of a contract for someone his age who is clearly declining
That’s kind of a dumb argument. It’s different to have 81.5M in cap space for the expansion draft or to take some cap back in a trade than waivers where the team has to take the full cap hit.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Plenty of players clear waivers only to be traded. That's hardly a barometer for trade value.
That’s kind of a dumb argument. It’s different to have 81.5M in cap space for the expansion draft or to take some cap back in a trade than waivers where the team has to take the full cap hit.
Burns has negative value. Tell which team would give up assets for him?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Most teams would. Anyone that needs a good offensive RD. Yes we’d have to take back a cap dump but acting like he doesn’t have value is moronic and ignorant at best.
No. It's not.
Actually list the teams that are going to give up positive assets for Burns, who is 36 and one of the highest paid defensemen in the league until he is 40.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
If Dreidger is willing to sign for that contract, wouldn’t Florida keep him? Knight isn’t gonna be their starter next season, so they at MINIMUM need a stopgap for a couple years

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Despite our recent push, no way DW is short sided enough to give up assets. It’s a retool year. If we get the last playoff spot great. If not, at least we’re playing meaningful hockey the last month.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns has negative value. Tell which team would give up assets for him?

I can see Dallas off the top of my head making such a move but the Sharks aren’t exactly itching to move him so it makes little difference if you or anyone wants to think he has negative value for whatever stupid reason they want to use to bullshit themselves.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What's the general feeling on which direction the Sharks will be headed in? I would assume a full on rebuild would be a reasonable approach for a typical organization in this situation but seems like the Sharks are the eternal retool type organization that won't strip it down. I think I've heard Doug Wilson comment on this, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The other thing is with the length of the existing deals you almost wonder if it might actually be worth it to double down and bring in even more veterans to keep this thing going, since you won't even get a clean rebuild slate until 2025 to 2027 assuming Couture, Burns, Vlasic and Karlsson can't be moved. You can start a rebuild today but even those picks and prospects ELCs will have expired before those monster deals come off the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad