Fan etiquette

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Just politely inform him. Don't be a wimp about it. If he gives you flack talk to the usher. Don't escalate it more than that.

The usher in 304 is fantastic. She takes care of business before it escalates. Lots of drunks in our section usually. Shes probably 60 and has no problem getting right into peoples faces.

She rocks. She often makes eye contact with me even though Im row 11 and gives me the I'm watching you look :laugh: But your right I've seen her take out 2 people.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
She rocks. She often makes eye contact with me even though Im row 11 and gives me the I'm watching you look :laugh: But your right I've seen her take out 2 people.

Row 11, care to share your seat #?

Im usually in row 10.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Question for y'all.

How would you deal with someone who's constantly leaning over and standing up for the majority of the game?

I don't want to be a jerk, but it really obstructs my line of sight and I can barely see the game when the puck is in our end of the rink. I didn't mind it at first, but it kinda gets old after a season and a bit.

What say you? Am I a crotchety soul trapped in a 24 year old's body? or should I tell this guy to sit back in his chair?

So this is interesting to me. I moved this past summer from Ontario to Edmonton. I'd been to numerous games at the ACC and at MLG before that and have just finished my second game at Rexall. I noticed at Rexall that they have a sign throughout the game that reads "Please sit all the way back in your seat while play is in progress". I've never seen that before at Leaf games, where of course you can hardly find anyone in their seat because they're all Air Canada Club Lounge, Lord Stanley's Mug, the concourse, or wherever they go. The atmosphere sucks. At Rexall it has a vibrant feel in the place, and I wonder why they want to curb it. I go to a game and I'd rather everybody is on the edge of their seats, jumping up when exciting plays happen. They used to have a campaign (can't remember where) that was "we'll sell you the whole seat but you'll only use the edge". I thought that was brilliant. I'm there in person for the atmosphere...If I want to sit back and relax, why not watch the game at home?

ghost88*

I don't want to "sit and relax" I just want to watch the game without missing 2 periods of action in my end because someone is always standing or obnoxiously leaning over their seat to a ridiculous extent. There's times where he'll actually sit on his chair while the seat is folded up.

As I said, be loud, be proud, I don't want the MTS centre to be a "tea party", but don't stand and talk to people in different rows while the game is on.

If you're going to do that then you have even LESS of a right to be there than the people who actually want to watch the game.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I don't want to "sit and relax" I just want to watch the game without missing 2 periods of action in my end because someone is always standing or obnoxiously leaning over their seat to a ridiculous extent. There's times where he'll actually sit on his chair while the seat is folded up.

As I said, be loud, be proud, I don't want the MTS centre to be a "tea party", but don't stand and talk to people in different rows while the game is on.

If you're going to do that then you have even LESS of a right to be there than the people who actually want to watch the game.

OK, so you're using adjectives here that were not in your original post. I don't know what "obnoxiously" leaning over to a "ridiculous" extent means. For clarity, I watch the games and rarely if ever talk to anyone outside of the person/people I went with. What I'm talking about is a end-to-end action for the last 15 minutes in a 1-0 game with hardly any whistles that RNH ties with the net empty only to have it waved off then they pull the goalie again and Yak ties it up with 4 seconds to go before 4 minutes of back and forth 4-4 then 4 on 3 with a Gagner winner! In that situation I'm on the edge of my seat for the entire 20+ min and up and down (with the rest of the rink) with every post, crossbar and great save. Is that what you have a problem with, or is it somebody standing up conducting a networking meeting in front of you? If it's the latter then I would say you have a valid complaint - get his ass kicked out if you need to. If it's the former, I would say, how did you put it..."you're a crotchety old man in a 24 year old's body". :)

I guess I've been to one too many a tea party at the ACC (before I stopped going - even with free tickets)...I find the energy refreshing.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
OK, so you're using adjectives here that were not in your original post. I don't know what "obnoxiously" leaning over to a "ridiculous" extent means. For clarity, I watch the games and rarely if ever talk to anyone outside of the person/people I went with. What I'm talking about is a end-to-end action for the last 15 minutes in a 1-0 game with hardly any whistles that RNH ties with the net empty only to have it waved off then they pull the goalie again and Yak ties it up with 4 seconds to go before 4 minutes of back and forth 4-4 then 4 on 3 with a Gagner winner! In that situation I'm on the edge of my seat for the entire 20+ min and up and down (with the rest of the rink) with every post, crossbar and great save. Is that what you have a problem with, or is it somebody standing up conducting a networking meeting in front of you? If it's the latter then I would say you have a valid complaint - get his ass kicked out if you need to. If it's the former, I would say, how did you put it..."you're a crotchety old man in a 24 year old's body". :)

I guess I've been to one too many a tea party at the ACC (before I stopped going - even with free tickets)...I find the energy refreshing.

No, krazy, you're take on this is a bit extreme. Of course there are crazy moments, but there are also stretches where people just want to see the end to end action, and not the back of someone's head. They are not crotchety old men, they want to cheer too but you can't cheer what you can't see. Everyone can watch with excitement with their butts back 12 inches on their chairs ... that isn't going to quiet the building.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The whole problem with the upper deck in the MTS Centre ( and other rinks as well ) is a design flaw. The problem is.... the seats are at the wrong angle to watch the game while sitting back in your chair OR better put... it is not steep enough.

I sit in row 2 in the upper deck and I have also sat in row 1 to see what it is like. Maybe it is my section ( I'm not short either ) , but if I sit in row 1 all the way back in my chair, the railing blocks my view of the net. I have to lean forward to see the puck cross the goal line. No other way around it. And when I lean, everyone behind me has to as well. And it's worse in row 2. I have to sit up and lean to see the net.

People laugh at the old Winnipeg Arena, and sure you took your life in your hands getting to your seat in the upper deck, but I guarantee you, nobody ever blocked your view there. Not with the seats at like a 50 degree angle.

RECCE

The Dog House
Apr 29, 2010
Margaritaville
The whole problem with the upper deck in the MTS Centre ( and other rinks as well ) is a design flaw. The problem is.... the seats are at the wrong angle to watch the game while sitting back in your chair OR better put... it is not steep enough.

I sit in row 2 in the upper deck and I have also sat in row 1 to see what it is like. Maybe it is my section ( I'm not short either ) , but if I sit in row 1 all the way back in my chair, the railing blocks my view of the net. I have to lean forward to see the puck cross the goal line. No other way around it. And when I lean, everyone behind me has to as well. And it's worse in row 2. I have to sit up and lean to see the net.

People laugh at the old Winnipeg Arena, and sure you took your life in your hands getting to your seat in the upper deck, but I guarantee you, nobody ever blocked your view there. Not with the seats at like a 50 degree angle.

I'd take a seat in the "Matterhorn" section of the old arena over a my seats in the 300's, row 10 any day.

MrGrinch

Jul 27, 2011
...it is not steep enough.
If I could do it again this is the issue I would address. I wish each row was about 6" higher, but realize from a cost / engineering or perhaps even safety perspective this probably just wasn't possible. Interesting that some say that the seats are steep by NHL standards (ie the "crowd is right on top of you" comment) but yet leaning / sightlines seems to be such an issue for many.

sigdawg

Jan 21, 2013
I'm in 320 row 2 and everyone in row 1 leans forward, I find myself doing to bob and weave to see the play through all their heads on the near boards. I am forced to lean forward as well, as are all the folks behind me

so your the guy! i am further back and it seems like the whole section is leaning forward like backwards dominos.... section is still great though!

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

This is very true of where I sit too, I'm 6 feet tall exactly and if I stay right back in my seat, I can't see the goal at all.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
No, krazy, you're take on this is a bit extreme. Of course there are crazy moments, but there are also stretches where people just want to see the end to end action, and not the back of someone's head. They are not crotchety old men, they want to cheer too but you can't cheer what you can't see. Everyone can watch with excitement with their butts back 12 inches on their chairs ... that isn't going to quiet the building.

I was asking an honest question. Everyone can watch the excitement with their butts back 12 inches on their chairs...but they could also see if everyone sits on the edge of their seats...just sayin... :)

Anyway, to each their own. When the action is intense, people sitting on the edge of their seats doesn't bother me at all. I just do the same...

JMT21

I Give A Dam!
Aug 8, 2011
In My House
i have the best seats because the row behind me is the start of section P2 so i can standup :D

I've got Row 7 in P4. Last row.. directly beneath the corporate boxes. Can stand up as much as I'd like.... being 6' 5" can make it bit cramped to sit the whole time. No one behind me so I'm not in anyone's way. Just wish they'd let me fasten a hook to the wall so I can hang my coat. :laugh:

Screaming and drinking don't bother me as long as the folks around don't get belligerent... hasn't happened yet.

One thing I'll never get is that there are always people glued to their phones texting and surfing while play is going on...... you pay good $$$ to watch a game but all you can do is text your buddies for 3 hours.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You can also glance at the jumbotron while the play is along the boards on your side.

Yup. I've refined that technique pretty well. The woman in front of me stands up almost every time the Jets come over the blue line. I appreciate the enthusiasm but they will not score every time the puck enters the offensive zone. So rather than standing up each time she does, I tend to just tilt my head up to the jumbotron.

I guess I look a little slow to celebrate at times but I didn't sign up for a Shapes aerobics class. It's too messy with the beers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad