Fan etiquette

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I have some issues with people constantly getting up to get beer or use the washroom. I have isle seats in 304 and usually have to deny entry during play to the 'unexperienced' guys in our row. However, more people are waiting in the aisle until play stops.

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
When people lean over, I don't have much of a problem with it, because like some people mentioned, it's a natural reflex to crane your neck and lean over to get a better view of something. When my view gets obstructed by people leaning over, I usually just focus my attention to the big screen on the scoreboard so I don't miss any action.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm one of those row 1 on the isle guys in 305. Sometimes to be honest you realy have to think about those behind you because to be honest you get caught up in the moments of the game.
My buddy is a freaking stork. He's well over 6'5 tall and skinny. He well...gets realy caught up and cheers and i constantly have to remind him about those behind us.
Those in Row 1 in the upper decks are somwhat of the Anchors of the section. If we stand up to cheer pretty much everyone behind us has no choice but to do the same.
We or anyone else in our ST package would never have a problem with someone respectively asking us to sit down. However be respectible and remember that this isnt a Movie theater and sometimes ya gotta get up and roar!
Also the ushers are there for a reason, it avoids direct confrantation between the fans, simply talk to an usher and they will talk to those who are causing the issue.

Any of you guys who are sitting in 305 and are having issues with the front row guys PM me and I will have a talk with the group..

I'm also in section 305. Overall a pretty good section and most people are nice and friendly. Only complaint I have is the guy in front of me is a bit of a preacher, and seems to sell/give away his seats half the time to people who cheer for the opposition. But he is tiny and sits back so all is good. The people beside us and behind us are great. I've been known to lean once in awhile (hell I pace sometimes at home :laugh:) and would have no problems with a friendly I can't see because your leaning. If he had to remind me twice and had a Jets jersey on I'd apologize and buy him a beer at intermission

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah, this is a tough situation. I'm a rather large guy (6'3'', 220lbs) so I probably block peoples views at times. I try to sit back as much as possible, but sometimes there's little I can do. I'm in good with the guys behind us (might have something to do with the aformentioned drinking :D), so I think they would tell me if they had a problem :laugh:

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Row 12 in the upper deck is great. Sit down, stand up... not blocking anyone. Usually a 50/50 thing.

that's where I'm at. I actually do the lean on the seat in it's 'up' position. so kind of a sit/stand sort of thing. I never miss any of the action, have a place to put my gloves/hat/empty beer cups/various food containers, etc. They've added some kind of insulation/sound baffling to the back wall this year. last year it was plain concrete. I'm thinking about bringing one of those sticky hook things to hang my coat. since you can slide the hook off, the backing part might not be noticeable to staff and stick around (no pun intended)

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I sit in the middle of section 319 and am 6'6" 300 lbs. I don't really have a problem with people leaning forward in front of me but I feel for the guys behind me. I rarely lean forward.

My problem is that the angle my legs have to be in for me to sit really do a number on my knees. Any of you other giants have that issue? I ended up giving away like half the games last year because of it. I have thought about asking my rep about the handicapped seats but I feel bad about taking a spot that could be used for someone who really needs it.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Lean forward too. Most of the time if the people in front of you are it's because someone in front of them did etc..

It does kinda suck, but that's live sports with 15,000 people. Just cause you pay to get in doesn't mean you have the right to SIT and watch all 60 mins...IMO.

Then again, I spilled some beer in the guy in front of me at the start of the Ottawa game so maybe I should shut it lol

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I sit in the middle of section 319 and am 6'6" 300 lbs. I don't really have a problem with people leaning forward in front of me but I feel for the guys behind me. I rarely lean forward.

My problem is that the angle my legs have to be in for me to sit really do a number on my knees. Any of you other giants have that issue? I ended up giving away like half the games last year because of it. I have thought about asking my rep about the handicapped seats but I feel bad about taking a spot that could be used for someone who really needs it.

I'd inquire about getting aisle seats. I'd generally ok, but if it's bothering me I just go on the aisle seat and stick my legs out on the stairs, since our seats are on the aisle anyways. That usually does it. My ST buddies are all 5'10 or shorter, so they have no problem letting me sit on the aisle :laugh:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I wish TNSE would make a reminder announcement asking people not to lean forward at each game.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Am I one of the only ones here with lower bowl seats?!

We have a railing in front of us but because of the angle of the rows us leaning forward doesn't block those behind us. Guess the problem is limited to the upper deck.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Am I one of the only ones here with lower bowl seats?!

We have a railing in front of us but because of the angle of the rows us leaning forward doesn't block those behind us. Guess the problem is limited to the upper deck.

I absolutely love my upper deck seats and wouldn't trade into the lower bowl if you paid me twice what I'm paying and threw in the tickets! :D Of course, I'm right against the rail, so I don't have the obstructed view problem.

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Upper deck is a great time. I cant help but lean in when im watching, but if someone politely asked me to curb it i would try. I do think its only when theyre skating in corner. I would like to experience a game in the lower bowl, but i love my sight line in 330. 301 - 303 are especially enjoyable. Great people all around. My only complaint with upper deck is navigating the lobby at intermission and especially the end of the game. There is never any pushing and shoving so its not a big deal but it could be better.

MrGrinch

Jul 27, 2011
Am I one of the only ones here with lower bowl seats?! We have a railing in front of us but because of the angle of the rows us leaning forward doesn't block those behind us. Guess the problem is limited to the upper deck.
No, problem is lower as well. We are in the corner at 113, and when the people to the front-right of us of us lean we can't see the attack zone net. It's probably not as big an issue on the sides versus the ends though.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Through all of last nights game I was thinking of this thread and was trying my best not to block anyone. :laugh:

jester24

Oct 27, 2011
I'm a tall guy and I do lean forward when I need to (play against the boards or on an odd man rush). Honestly, I don't feel I'd need to apologize to anyone about doing this as everyone else is doing it too. Just part of the moment. Like they say "You pay for the whole seat but only need the edge!"

IMO if you're not leaning forward a little, you're not in the game!

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
For everyone complaining, please never attend a college football game, European hockey game, or European football game.

Sometimes the Jets crowd is just too corporate....

Chaosmonkey

Sep 15, 2011
I have some issues with people constantly getting up to get beer or use the washroom. I have isle seats in 304 and usually have to deny entry during play to the 'unexperienced' guys in our row. However, more people are waiting in the aisle until play stops.

I have aisle seats as well, and tried doing this exactly once. The young kid almost took a swing at me when I asked him to hold on until the next break in play, and went nose to nose with me. I'm not the kind that looks for trouble, so from now on, I just let them pass and someone else can educate them on how rude it is to file in/out, make people stand, etc when the play is on.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I absolutely love my upper deck seats and wouldn't trade into the lower bowl if you paid me twice what I'm paying and threw in the tickets! :D Of course, I'm right against the rail, so I don't have the obstructed view problem.
Haha, alright.

Likewise for me and my lower bowl seats :D

Though I have sat upstairs for previous events, plus ventured up there numerous times when I worked at the rink (security) it was always a good time and a good view at that.

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
For everyone complaining, please never attend a college football game, European hockey game, or European football game.

Sometimes the Jets crowd is just too corporate....

Yeah I'm totally fricken' blown away by this. Do people honestly expect those in front of them to sit with perfect posture/slouch just so they can see the game better?

On leaning: no one is purposely doing it to try and ruin others viewing experience, they're doing it because: a) they can't see certain areas of the ice if they sit back or b) the person in front of them is leaning/blocking their view or c) they're excited. When the person in front of me does it, I just adjust myself so I can look around them... in fact, I do it without noticing or thinking... I don't sit there brooding about how the people in front are ruining my experience/my night/my life or whatever other hyperbole you prefer. In fact, the people in front of me leaned forward all season long... and I wouldn't have thought twice about it till i saw this 1290 caller thread. :shakehead The people in front of you have as much right to enjoy the game as you do, they paid their hard earned dollars also, and if that means they lean forward a bit... who cares. Funny how no one complained about this when we had the Moose, and I went to a ton of games.

Standing the entire time is an entirely different issue. That would piss me off, no doubt. But the leaning thing... c'mon guys... it's a hockey game. Getting into it and sitting on the edge of your seat/trying to see the play is pretty reasonable and natural reaction. Do we really have to have decorum here too?

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Yeah I'm totally fricken' blown away by this. Do people honestly expect those in front of them to sit with perfect posture/slouch just so they can see the game better?

On leaning: no one is purposely doing it to try and ruin others viewing experience, they're doing it because: a) they can't see certain areas of the ice if they sit back or b) the person in front of them is leaning/blocking their view or c) they're excited. When the person in front of me does it, I just adjust myself so I can look around them... in fact, I do it without noticing or thinking... I don't sit there brooding about how the people in front are ruining my experience/my night/my life or whatever other hyperbole you prefer. In fact, the people in front of me leaned forward all season long... and I wouldn't have thought twice about it till i saw this 1290 caller thread. :shakehead The people in front of you have as much right to enjoy the game as you do, they paid their hard earned dollars also, and if that means they lean forward a bit... who cares. Funny how no one complained about this when we had the Moose, and I went to a ton of games.

Standing the entire time is an entirely different issue. That would piss me off, no doubt. But the leaning thing... c'mon guys... it's a hockey game. Getting into it and sitting on the edge of your seat/trying to see the play is pretty reasonable and natural reaction. Do we really have to have decorum here too?

Well I know in my row, it actually says no leaning on rail and all people respect it
and don't lean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad