"Fan" apology in Journal.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
It's not a private facility--it's a taxpayer funded arena. I hate when "private Business" or free market logic is used the defend the actions of sports teams--the same teams that ask for the public to fund their arenas, depend on tax write offs to sell their luxury suites, that rely on youth coaches, hockey parents and community built rinks to provide their product (i.e.players), that rely upon civic pride to sell their product, and that use their monopsony to enforce wage control through a salary cap. This is not a "private business" in any reasonable sense of the term.

I couldn't care less what you call it. You're in there for an event run by a private business. There are rules, and as much as you might want it to, "I'm a taxpayer" probably doesn't fly.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So this Jay Brown guy hasn't been found or come forward yet? Just a secretive guy in a shack that talks to the world via Journal adds?

Still think it was the Oilers org, and how they get the whole city of champions naming reason wrong is just their little way of showing how stupid they think their sucker fans are.

Edit: this article claims he's a real guy and LaForge gave him a call thanking him:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...o-team-for-jersey-tossing-fans-183204246.html

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So this Jay Brown guy hasn't been found or come forward yet? Just a secretive guy in a shack that talks to the world via Journal adds?

Still think it was the Oilers org, and how they get the whole city of champions naming reason wrong is just their little way of showing how stupid they think their sucker fans are.

Edit: this article claims he's a real guy and LaForge gave him a call thanking him:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...o-team-for-jersey-tossing-fans-183204246.html

I posted his twitter handle earlier in the thread. He's real, and he is SPECTACULAR.

Oct 15, 2008
I'm 1000x more embarrassed by Oilers organization apologists, or the general quietness and lack of caring at Rexall place, including "fans" that tell you to quiet down when cheering or booing, than I am a few jersey tossers. At least the jersey tossers are showing that they give a ****.

Maybe they are just narcissists looking for attention?

If they really "gave a ****" they wouldnt support this circus by paying for tickets.

That's the key. The only thing we know for sure that will get Katz' attention is money or the threat him not receiving money he is counting on receiving. He moved pretty quickly when there was any question as to whether or not he would be getting money for his new arena/real estate play.

He has also shown he doenst give a rat's **** about the team's record. Only money. So if you want to send a message, stop giving him your money.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This organization is the biggest joke I've ever seen in my life. There's is no "low" (or Lowe) for these complete buffoons.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I posted his twitter handle earlier in the thread. He's real, and he is SPECTACULAR.

How do you know that's him? His name is Jay Brown, there's way more of them out there than you realize. It's just a dude with a different opinion, no need to make rash assumptions and judgements on his life.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Some of you people are acting very childish and angry, just calm down. If you think that what this fellow wrote makes him a "loser" then maybe you need to learn about whats valuable in life and a person. The hate behind a different opinion on such a trivial matter, even if it is wrong, is unreal in here. I think the Oilers and pro sports matter just a little too much to some of you people, you're no longer fanatical and instead are just plain lunatics. When some posters think he needs to come forward, as if he's wronged people, and are turning things into some kid of a witch hunt things are getting pretty pathetic.

How do you know what this fellow is like in things that truly matter? Perhaps he's "too empathetic" to the players because he's an exceptionally kind person who helps people all the time. Maybe he's not. The point is this kind of action does not make him a lesser person for it's just an opinion on a trivial matter, it does not speak strongly to his character. Passion for what one believes isn't a bad character trait unless it's for harming other people. The assumptions, defamation, and complete lack of understanding to what constitutes a decent human being is truly appalling. Disagree with the person sure but there's no need to call people names or attempt some kind of witch hunt.

Clearly from the behavior in this thread part of being a fan is holding some irrational beliefs in regards to matters concerning one's own team, so tell me even if you think his opinion is wrong, how is he any different than all of you? If the team makes you that angry and hateful, stop watching, stop supporting them. Stop being dumb enough to pay for the games you hate going to, stop being dumb enough to buy the jerseys you think should be tossed.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Some of you people are acting very childish and angry, just calm down. If you think that what this fellow wrote makes him a "loser" then maybe you need to learn about whats valuable in life and a person. The hate behind a different opinion on such a trivial matter, even if it is wrong, is unreal in here. I think the Oilers and pro sports matter just a little too much to some of you people, you're no longer fanatical and instead are just plain lunatics. When some posters think he needs to come forward, as if he's wronged people, and are turning things into some kid of a witch hunt things are getting pretty pathetic.

How do you know what this fellow is like in things that truly matter? Perhaps he's "too empathetic" to the players because he's an exceptionally kind person who helps people all the time. Maybe he's not. The point is this kind of action does not make him a lesser person for it's just an opinion on a trivial matter, it does not speak strongly to his character. Passion for what one believes isn't a bad character trait unless it's for harming other people. The assumptions, defamation, and complete lack of understanding to what constitutes a decent human being is truly appalling. Disagree with the person sure but there's no need to call people names or attempt some kind of witch hunt.

Clearly from the behavior in this thread part of being a fan is holding some irrational beliefs in regards to matters concerning one's own team, so tell me even if you think his opinion is wrong, how is he any different than all of you? If the team makes you that angry and hateful, stop watching, stop supporting them. Stop being dumb enough to pay for the games you hate going to, stop being dumb enough to buy the jerseys you think should be tossed.

When he comes in riding his high horse with the "true fan" stuff, he should expect to be knocked off it.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.

So..... The sweater thrower's feelings should be realized as well then also. Right? Gotch ya!

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
When he comes in riding his high horse with the "true fan" stuff, he should expect to be knocked off it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to criticize that comment nor the apology at the end. I think the shoddy detective work, insults, and general anger at the comment is rather distasteful and ignorant. It does not serve a purpose beyond hate. I think you wanted my comment to say something other than what it did, and criticized that.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
So..... The sweater thrower's feelings should be realized as well then also. Right? Gotch ya!

Huh? This makes no sense to me. I don't care that much about the sweater throwing, i think it's pretty counterproductive but i doesn't bother me. I'm talking about a much bigger issue as part of a much bigger picture. People should always say what they believe in, even if it's wrong, they shouldn't be hated for what they believe unless it's hate they believe in. Tolerance really does have some value.

As for the actual issue I'm surprised anyone can be so angry and upset that someone fanatical in nature would expect people treat a team jersey with so much respect. Many people consider the Oilers an institution and a source of pride, not as Kevin Lowe/Dallas Eakins. It's like a flag for some people, like how you would never burn the Canadian flag despite dissatisfaction with the government.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
****, this management spends more time posturing than keeping the team afloat.

-Letters from Katz. Threats from Katz.
-Pressers saying 'we just need X years to win, trust us'
-False promises.
-Retroactive comments: "Hey, we said we were rebuilding, but it actually started when we drafted Hall, not all the other time that we sucked too."

Even calling the 50/50 late in the game pisses me off. The team sucks, let us go home already.

Anyone in their right mind would just stop buying tickets to this circus. Management has made it quite clear that they're happy to suck every single dollar out of us while blindly hoping the team will turn some kind of magical corner.

Any 'fan' apologizing for this mess should just walk backwards and bent-over with their pants around their ankles towards the Katz estate so they can take it in full length.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Huh? This makes no sense to me. I don't care that much about the sweater throwing, i think it's pretty counterproductive but i doesn't bother me. I'm talking about a much bigger issue as part of a much bigger picture. People should always say what they believe in, even if it's wrong, they shouldn't be hated for what they believe unless it's hate they believe in. Tolerance really does have some value.

As for the actual issue I'm surprised anyone can be so angry and upset that someone fanatical in nature would expect people treat a team jersey with so much respect. Many people consider the Oilers an institution and a source of pride, not as Kevin Lowe/Dallas Eakins. It's like a flag for some people, like how you would never burn the Canadian flag despite dissatisfaction with the government.

I didn't see anyone burn a Jersey, they tossed it on the ice. That is a big difference.

The Jersey tossing is more a statement of a fan "giving up hope", which is entirely logical. Continuing to support a team which doesn't make any real substantive changes to the management (nepotism) network in place means there is NO HOPE of change.

KLowe has brought a culture of 'defeat' and losing to this team. That is his eternal stamp on the Edmonton Oilers. Tossing a Jersey on the ice is tantamount to admitting that 'defeat'.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
I didn't see anyone burn a Jersey, they tossed it on the ice. That is a big difference.

The Jersey tossing is more a statement of a fan "giving up hope", which is entirely logical. Continuing to support a team which doesn't make any real substantive changes to the management (nepotism) network in place means there is NO HOPE of change.

KLowe has brought a culture of 'defeat' and losing to this team. That is his eternal stamp on the Edmonton Oilers. Tossing a Jersey on the ice is tantamount to admitting that 'defeat'.

Yup. He gave the seal of approval to the tank job so he's a big part of the losing culture we heard about around here for a long time when they were shipping out veterans for draft picks.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Excellent post.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
This grab the pitchforks and torches response to an apology letter seems ridiculous to me. Obviously, the guy had no business writing on behalf of all Oilers' fans, but get a grip and go do something productive with your time. Maybe volunteer your time at a crisis centre or soup kitchen, something to gain some perspective. This is bordering on abnormal behaviour.

Shining a light on this crap is not abnormal. Riding in on high horse and telling other people what to do with their time is abnormal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

The analogy still fits, you wouldn't toss the flag on the ground either. I'm not saying i feel this strongly i'm just saying it shouldn't be surprising that some do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad