Online Series: Fallout (Amazon, April 10, 2024)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Finished it tonight. Pleasantly surprised. Nervous for season two, I hope they don’t totally f*** over New Vegas’ story and consequences.

made me scared for a second that they were gonna lay the blame entirely on vault tech there, which would be absolutely stupid but I think people are reading too much into their motives

Which story and consequences?

There are 27 individual ending consequences.

Hopefully they just pick one and not try to please everyone, as opposed to coming up with some generic "disaster" that undoes all of the 27 endings anyway.

I'd suggest the Mr. House ending because he's a compelling character and it means avoiding the whole "what happened to the NCR?" bit.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Hopefully they just pick one and not try to please everyone, as opposed to coming up with some generic "disaster" that undoes all of the 27 endings anyway.

I'd suggest the Mr. House ending because he's a compelling character and it means avoiding the whole "what happened to the NCR?" bit.
Unfortunately Rene Auberjonois passed and unable to resume the role.

Reactions: NyQuil

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

That’s what I mean. Picking one main ending is just as problematic as nullifying all of them

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Unfortunately Rene Auberjonois passed and unable to resume the role.

He would have been very good.

It would be a meaty role I think and the show has some momentum so they could get a good actor I should think. I’m not sure about aging the current young actor, but I suppose he could be in some kind of cryogenic suspension.

Caesar could also be interesting but the whole Roman Legion thing is a bit too “on the nose”.

They and the NCR are fairly generic as far as their motivations are concerned which is why a mysterious Mr. House might be more interesting.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Absolutely blew me away. Goddamn what a series. From start to end I loved all of it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm two episodes in and a little disappointed so far. The Lucy storyline is fine and mostly feels like Fallout, but the Maximus storyline is hokey and has turned the coolest faction in the games into a joke. The writing seems lazy, as well, because he can't follow the villain up a simple set of stairs even though he flew into the scene minutes earlier with his jetpack and gets his foot stuck between wooden boards even though his suit has super strength and, again, a jetpack. It feels forced and Marvelesque, like when superheroes temporarily forget their superpowers because the plot needs them to. I hope that the show gets away from that. There's plenty of time, but I just wanted to get that complaint out because it'll be a while before I finish the show at the rate that I'm going.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Did that well of a season and they still have Super Mutants, Deathclaws and Mirelurks in their pocket.

It bugs me when people are upset that they aren't present in the first season.

It's like when they put the best villain in the origin story movie. Keep something in your back pocket for the future.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I'm two episodes in and a little disappointed so far. The Lucy storyline is fine and mostly feels like Fallout, but the Maximus storyline is hokey and has turned the coolest faction in the games into a joke. The writing seems lazy, as well, because he can't follow the villain up a simple set of stairs even though he flew into the scene minutes earlier with his jetpack and gets his foot stuck between wooden boards even though his suit has super strength and, again, a jetpack. It feels forced and Marvelesque, like when superheroes temporarily forget their superpowers because the plot needs them to. I hope that the show gets away from that. There's plenty of time, but I just wanted to get that complaint out because it'll be a while before I finish the show at the rate that I'm going.
Isn't the whole point that Maximus isn't a knight, and is a thus a bit incompetent in the suit?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This show got my video game loathing wife asking about Fallout lore after we watched it. That's how you know it did exactly what it tried to do.

Reactions: SimGrindcore

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Isn't the whole point that Maximus isn't a knight, and is a thus a bit incompetent in the suit?
Yes, Maximus has absolutely no training with power armor. Turning the jets on and just flying in straight lines isn't the same as intricate and precise movements in an environment not suitable for the power armor.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
He looked competent enough when he gracefully jetpacked in and tossed The Ghoul around just moments earlier.
Yes, Maximus has absolutely no training with power armor. Turning the jets on and just flying in straight lines isn't the same as intricate and precise movements in an environment not suitable for the power armor.
It sounds like you may be referencing situations to come. I'm commenting only on the end of Episode 2, in which he didn't need to be any more precise than he demonstrated in that same environment moments before.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He looked competent enough when he gracefully jetpacked in and tossed The Ghoul around just moments earlier.

It sounds like you may be referencing situations to come. I'm commenting only on the end of Episode 2, in which he didn't need to be any more precise than he demonstrated in that same environment moments before.
I'm pretty good at ping pong but I haven't practiced enough to beat a pro...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

No I am referencing the scenes you were talking about.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The point is that he doesn't know how to use the suit- however there is definitely a convenience to how power armor works here though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
What’s more, as a result of the Amazon series, Fallout 4 and even the likes of Fallout 76 and Fallout Shelter have been climbing high in the Steam charts.

Now, as reported by Gamesindustry.biz, Fallout 4 has become the best-selling game in Europe this week seeing a sales boost of 7,500%. Given how Fallout 4 and its companions have been dominating the charts lately, the massive sales boost certainly makes sense.

I feel like this is a double edged sword. On the one hand, the spike in popularity in the games is a testament to the impact of a well done video game adaptation to live action. I know I've jumped back into a few Fallout titles myself after Season 1 and that speaks to how well done the show was that I'm craving more Fallout content after the Finale.

On the other hand, I think most of us know how Hollywood operates these days. And I feel like we're going to see an avalanche of video game adaptations now where most of them will be better than the pure lazy cash grabs of the past but are going to lack the care and love that went into shows like Fallout, The Last of Us, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, and Arcane (League of Legends). I think one common element between these higher quality adaptations is the dev companies were closely involved in the production of the adaptation. If the inevitable swath of video game adaptations don't follow this model, they arguably shouldn't bother.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It bugs me when people are upset that they aren't present in the first season.

It's like when they put the best villain in the origin story movie. Keep something in your back pocket for the future.
That and they only mentioned incest unlike GOT.

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com
To be honest, I was mixed feelings until maybe the 4th episode. I found Maximus to be shady AF and did not like his character arc/point of view.

But man, it keeps better and better from that point. The last 2 episodes are *chef's kiss*👌👌

SimGrindcore

Mar 16, 2021
www.facebook.com

I feel like this is a double edged sword. On the one hand, the spike in popularity in the games is a testament to the impact of a well done video game adaptation to live action. I know I've jumped back into a few Fallout titles myself after Season 1 and that speaks to how well done the show was that I'm craving more Fallout content after the Finale.

On the other hand, I think most of us know how Hollywood operates these days. And I feel like we're going to see an avalanche of video game adaptations now where most of them will be better than the pure lazy cash grabs of the past but are going to lack the care and love that went into shows like Fallout, The Last of Us, Cyberpunk Edgerunners, and Arcane (League of Legends). I think one common element between these higher quality adaptations is the dev companies were closely involved in the production of the adaptation. If the inevitable swath of video game adaptations don't follow this model, they arguably shouldn't bother.
I really hope they put the same care in the Bioshock adaptation.

Sep 19, 2008
So I watched more during dinner yesterday and I like what I Saw. I finally got around to finishing the first act of Lucy's story, then they go into the Brotherhood dude who apparently tried to sabotage his friend? Then they went back to Lucy.

As dinner finished I stopped watching but not out of lack of interest. I think the show is good so far.

It is also overlapping well with my Fallout 3 experience right now as I've reached the Citadel and am working with the Brotherhood at the moment. For a woman "Lone wanderer" who left the vault in search of her father this seems quite similar so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad