Fallout 76

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Horse armour DLC was one of those seminal moments in gaming history.

And to think only a few short years later, Bethesda would be selling us a monthly subscription that gives you private-but-not-actually-private-at-all "servers" (not actually servers at all) and a convenient way to destroy scrap for nothing....crazy!

And in the other corner, we have Ubisoft selling you the ability to skip playing the game they just sold you.

Truly this is a Golden Age of gaming. :laugh:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Ever since Fallout 4 was such a massive let down I lost all interest in Bethesda anything.

And to think only a few short years later, Bethesda would be selling us a monthly subscription that gives you private-but-not-actually-private-at-all "servers" (not actually servers at all) and a convenient way to destroy scrap for nothing....crazy!

And in the other corner, we have Ubisoft selling you the ability to skip playing the game they just sold you.

Truly this is a Golden Age of gaming. :laugh:

I would genuinely still argue that it is absolutely a "golden age" for gaming. Just not with respect to what used to exist as the "AAA" game model.

Its why I don't really understand all the anger about what developers like Ubisoft, 2K, or Bethesda do. Like....just don't play those games. When a game, or a developer, or a publisher starts to push a "live service" like this, just move on. You don't have to play the latest "AAA" release. You don't even have to pay attention to it.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Ever since Fallout 4 was such a massive let down I lost all interest in Bethesda anything.

I would genuinely still argue that it is absolutely a "golden age" for gaming. Just not with respect to what used to exist as the "AAA" game model.

Its why I don't really understand all the anger about what developers like Ubisoft, 2K, or Bethesda do. Like....just don't play those games. When a game, or a developer, or a publisher starts to push a "live service" like this, just move on. You don't have to play the latest "AAA" release. You don't even have to pay attention to it.

There aren't really alternatives for some of these types of games. Sports games for example have licensing deals that have to be made and sometimes a certain developer already has exclusivity. So if want to play an NHL, NBA, whatever game there's probably only one franchise around and it's terrible.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
There aren't really alternatives for some of these types of games. Sports games for example have licensing deals that have to be made and sometimes a certain developer already has exclusivity. So if want to play an NHL, NBA, whatever game there's probably only one franchise around and it's terrible.

I mean, I used to play them a lot more, but then they started focusing on modes I don't care about like career modes or those story modes, so I just moved on. If I get the itch to play them I buy last years version for pennies on the dollar and scratch it.

I think people need to be more willing to let go and move on. Not every game you play is made for your tastes and not every game that you like will always be to your tastes.

Maybe its just something that comes with age, and I am an old man now, so I don't care if a particular game no longer appeals to me.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

Agreed.

There is, however, a certain amount of frustration that comes when your favourite developers and franchises fall apart. I think that's absolutely understandable.

There is no shortage of good games to play, however. That is very true.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean, I used to play them a lot more, but then they started focusing on modes I don't care about like career modes or those story modes, so I just moved on. If I get the itch to play them I buy last years version for pennies on the dollar and scratch it.

I think people need to be more willing to let go and move on. Not every game you play is made for your tastes and not every game that you like will always be to your tastes.

Maybe its just something that comes with age, and I am an old man now, so I don't care if a particular game no longer appeals to me.
I mean I agree with you but this is the fall of a once revered company that was held on a pedestal for a long time putting out really good games that consumers in general loved. It is pretty natural that the crumbling of that is going to get a reaction from people. I personally haven't given Bethesda a cent for Fallout 76....but I am going to openly comment on my disappointment over the way they are operating their business, because why the hell not that is what the internet is for.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that there's some overreaction going on. I agree that it's pathetic how Bethesda has handled Fallout 76, but it's one game and most of that botched handling has been related to the online elements. That's no reason to lose faith in ES6 and Starfield, which will both be single player games. If you want to say that Fallout 4 being a disappointment lowers your anticipation, that's fair, but I wouldn't worry about the problems with Fallout 76 (a screw-up trying something new) being a bad sign for ES6 and Starfield (a return to their bread and butter).

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think that there's some overreaction going on. I agree that it's pathetic how Bethesda has handled Fallout 76, but it's one game and most of that botched handling has been related to the online elements. That's no reason to lose faith in ES6 and Starfield, which will both be single player games. If you want to say that Fallout 4 being a disappointment lowers your anticipation, that's fair, but I wouldn't worry about the problems with Fallout 76 (a screw-up trying something new) being a bad sign for ES6 and Starfield (a return to their bread and butter).
I had more of that opinion before they doubled down on the nonsense this week that Fallout 76 and their other titles could be held in totally separate regard but they have gone a bit to far for me to just accept that. I won't say that if Starfield comes out to rave reviews I won't play it, but Bethesda has 100% lost out on their right to my pre-order. I will not buy something from them until I see the release and what the game actually is at this point.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I had more of that opinion before they doubled down on the nonsense this week that Fallout 76 and their other titles could be held in totally separate regard but they have gone a bit to far for me to just accept that. I won't say that if Starfield comes out to rave reviews I won't play it, but Bethesda has 100% lost out on their right to my pre-order. I will not buy something from them until I see the release and what the game actually is at this point.

I'm at the point where I won't buy anything full price from Bethesda, period. Even if it does get great reviews.
I have no confidence in them to not screw it up somehow.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

I think if 76 was just a lemon, I might agree with you.

The problem is how they are currently treating their customers in the wake of the disastrous 76 is completely unacceptable, and worthy of skepticism for everything coming out of Bethesda in the future.

They could easily earn that trust back if they do make a return to their "bread and butter" for ESVI/Starfield, but until they do, they deserve a wary eye.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

That's funny, I really enjoyed Fallout 4.

I found the three factions interesting and the linkages to New England and revolutionary war history was neat.

Settlement design and mechanics were fun too.

Of course, I modded the hell out of it, but that's par for the course.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

I found the three factions interesting and the linkages to New England and revolutionary war history was neat.

I really enjoyed Fallout 4 as well.

Mind you, it was my first entry into the series.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 are embarrassments to the FO franchise. Play NV, 1, or 2 and thats what Fallout is and should be (take notes bethesda). Even tho 3 is pretty damn good, there is a reason obsidian isnt allowed to make another FO, because Todd Phillips is jealous New Vegas is secretly more beloved. I was so disappointed in FO4, not only was the story stupid, but the dialogue options and massive downgrade of the skills system really made it feel like a Mass Effect game, not a RPG Fallout. I traded it in after 2 weeks and never had it since. Fallout 76 is just a complete joke. Now we are going to have to wait for 5 years for a new fo and god knows how its gonna be with bethesda in charge and now on the micro transactions train. its really sad to see how the FO franchise is pretty much dead.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I agree as well. like Commander said above it was also my first entry into the fallout world as well.

I went back and tried Fallout NV after on xbox360 but it just wasn't as fun as F4.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I started with the Fallout demo way back in 1997.

Replaying both FO and FO2 recently, it's definitely more of a slog than I remember.

The AI for companions is outrageously poor, forcing you to give them single shot weapons to avoid them turning you into a side of meat.

If you still want a taste of the FO/FO2 gameplay, Wasteland 2 does a decent job.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I love Fallout 4. Its great. I use it as my pallet cleanser between games. I go back to it every 6-8 months and put another 20-30 hours in it

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think in terms of the modern version of Fallout, I think New Vegas still might be the peak of it all. What you can do, what you can find, what you can become, and everything in between is so good. Better than 3 and 4. But I think 4 just has better gameplay, but not as much for everything else.

Reactions: Beau Knows

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Fallout 4 with Horizon and other mods like Sim Settlements is wonderful. Can really tailor the game more to what kind of challenge/experience you want.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think in terms of the modern version of Fallout, I think New Vegas still might be the peak of it all. What you can do, what you can find, what you can become, and everything in between is so good. Better than 3 and 4. But I think 4 just has better gameplay, but not as much for everything else.

Yeah the story and faction dynamics are disappointing. I wish they'd remake New Vegas with a FO4 like coat of paint.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
My girlfriend was able to get the trophy for 100% happiness at a camp before a later-on patch made it easier to do. Took her HOURS to do it. God that system can be f***ing stupid.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Yeah the story and faction dynamics are disappointing. I wish they'd remake New Vegas with a FO4 like coat of paint.
I'm still waiting for them to do a remastered Morrow wind, I always here how it's the best Elder Scrolls game, and have tried to play it a couple of times... but the graphics are just too dated. But bethesda won't, why do that when they can release a Skyrim super mega ultimate collectors edition. In fact I'm half expecting ES6 to be a brief prologue before a mage casts a spell and suddenly your back on the cart heading to Helgan :laugh::laugh:

I didn't mind FO4 personally, it was no NV or FO3 but I found it quite enjoyable, my biggest gripe was the bare bones dialogue tree, that and the lack of tutorials. It took me far too long to work out actually how to build settlements.... well ok, how to enter the menu to build settlements.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm still waiting for them to do a remastered Morrow wind, I always here how it's the best Elder Scrolls game, and have tried to play it a couple of times... but the graphics are just too dated. But bethesda won't, why do that when they can release a Skyrim super mega ultimate collectors edition. In fact I'm half expecting ES6 to be a brief prologue before a mage casts a spell and suddenly your back on the cart heading to Helgan :laugh::laugh:

I didn't mind FO4 personally, it was no NV or FO3 but I found it quite enjoyable, my biggest gripe was the bare bones dialogue tree, that and the lack of tutorials. It took me far too long to work out actually how to build settlements.... well ok, how to enter the menu to build settlements.
Can't wait for Skyrim Heelys edition

Reactions: hangman005

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

As someone who started ES at Skyrim and Fallout at 4, I'm all for them milking us with remakes.

That's the kind of milking I can get behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad