Confirmed with Link: Fabbri 3 year Extension

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Gotta say, I'm surprised there isn't more vitriol in this thread. Or any at all.

I'm good with this. The contract isn't a steal, but it's fair, and you get a player with a [injuries aside] high floor. I like Fabbri's game a lot, he's very versatile, his skill allows him to play up and his industrious style with strong forechecking and backchecking allows him to play down. He's no Bertuzzi, but his value will go up if/when Bert gets moved.

Well the thread in the trade forum sure has some genius takes

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

This is a factor that is often overlooked, or a factor that some people put little-to-no value in. But when you're building a winner, having guys who want to be there is not insignificant. It doesn't change Fabbri's on-ice value, whatever you perceive that to be, but having that all-in culture is important, maybe critical. Guys who don't put the team before themselves can be cancerous. From what I've heard, Vrana is also all-in. And even though he's too old for the part of the rebuild where Detroit potentially becomes very good, Gagner is also all-in. Doubly so, from what I've heard.

Guys who buy in to the culture, buy-in to Yzerman, maybe (grit your teeth here, folks) even buy-in to Blashill. Point is, their personal priorities are in-line with what needs to happen with this franchise, and I'm here for it. I can fault some of these guys for deficiencies in their game, but I'm here for Fabbri, here for Vrana, and yes, here for Gagner (even if it's just for the early stages of the rebuild where having Gagner and his mediocre play isn't actually hurting anything).

I don't know quite enough about the Vancouver situation, but I get a sense that is one of the places where they went wrong. They didn't do due diligence on some of these guys, and they let the culture slip. I know Yzerman does his homework, I know he did it on Fabbri, and on Vrana, and on Seider and Raymond Ned and Edvinsson. I'm as excited about the recent talent and the talent coming as anyone else, but I love having these guys and these kids who, from what I can tell, "want to be a part of it."

Go Wings.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not bad, a example of a guy buying in, doing "well", and getting rewarded. Hard to hate it. Not a mega move either. Just... Nice. A nice move. An example type signing for younger players to emulate, watch.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
A fair price with team-friendly term for a player flexible enough to be useful regardless of how the team evolves in the short term. Can fill in anywhere in top 9, and contract will be tradeable barring injuries or falling off a cliff. Not exciting, but makes perfect sense for where we are at the moment.
Indeed...Won't look outta place with 2nd line minutes and would make an exceptional 3rd liner if we acquire talent that bumps him down a line.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
With this signing Either Zadina or Bertuzzi won’t be here long term. Leaning towards Zadina
Bertuzzi, contrary to some opinions, is too much of a heart and soul kind of guy for us to let go for anything short of a King's Ransom. He's our version of Brendan Gallagher and even if he sits on the 2nd line, instead of the top line, he's still a massive value for our team.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
This is a factor that is often overlooked, or a factor that some people put little-to-no value in. But when you're building a winner, having guys who want to be there is not insignificant. It doesn't change Fabbri's on-ice value, whatever you perceive that to be, but having that all-in culture is important, maybe critical. Guys who don't put the team before themselves can be cancerous. From what I've heard, Vrana is also all-in. And even though he's too old for the part of the rebuild where Detroit potentially becomes very good, Gagner is also all-in. Doubly so, from what I've heard.

Guys who buy in to the culture, buy-in to Yzerman, maybe (grit your teeth here, folks) even buy-in to Blashill. Point is, their personal priorities are in-line with what needs to happen with this franchise, and I'm here for it. I can fault some of these guys for deficiencies in their game, but I'm here for Fabbri, here for Vrana, and yes, here for Gagner (even if it's just for the early stages of the rebuild where having Gagner and his mediocre play isn't actually hurting anything).

I don't know quite enough about the Vancouver situation, but I get a sense that is one of the places where they went wrong. They didn't do due diligence on some of these guys, and they let the culture slip. I know Yzerman does his homework, I know he did it on Fabbri, and on Vrana, and on Seider and Raymond Ned and Edvinsson. I'm as excited about the recent talent and the talent coming as anyone else, but I love having these guys and these kids who, from what I can tell, "want to be a part of it."

Go Wings.
Very important. If he is happy in Detroit this is a very good deal.

Reactions: golffuul and jaster

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Go Wings.
Very important. If he is happy in Detroit this is a very good deal.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Capture.PNG

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Bertuzzi, contrary to some opinions, is too much of a heart and soul kind of guy for us to let go for anything short of a King's Ransom. He's our version of Brendan Gallagher and even if he sits on the 2nd line, instead of the top line, he's still a massive value for our team.

Bert’s game screams playoffs to me more than anyone Detroit has had since Hank, it is tailor made for the postseason. Hopefully the Wings can make it while he is still in his prime.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Bert’s game screams playoffs to me more than anyone Detroit has had since Hank, it is tailor made for the postseason. Hopefully the Wings can make it while he is still in his prime.
Yeah...and that's the variable you have to figure. Whether by the time we are contending in the Playoffs and our window is opening for Cups, he is still able to be effective. My guess is that he will be, but I'm not the GM.

blueadams

May 30, 2011
His trade value just doubled (w/ a solid set contract on him for 3yrs). He doesn't win a lot of games, or lose them. He seems to help the lockerroom.

If/when a prospect is ready to replace him on the roster, he'll either be a FA or easy to trade.

No down side.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The reason people mentioned trading Fabbri was his UFA status.

Fabbri has been a great addition to our team. This is a fair contract. He is unlikely to be traded. And I also agree Bertuzzi shouldn't be traded.

IMHO this is our current Core we are building around:

Bert-Larkin-Raymond
Fabbri-Vrana

Seider-Hronek(?)

Everyone else not listed here I think is questionable to be on the team in 3+ years.

Best and only "sure fire" prospect is Edvinsson.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
The reason people mentioned trading Fabbri was his UFA status.

Fabbri has been a great addition to our team. This is a fair contract. He is unlikely to be traded. And I also agree Bertuzzi shouldn't be traded.

IMHO this is our current Core we are building around:

Bert-Larkin-Raymond
Fabbri-Vrana

Seider-Hronek(?)

Everyone else not listed here I think is questionable to be on the team in 3+ years.

Best and only "sure fire" prospect is Edvinsson.

If Fabbri and Hronek are in that group, I have to believe Ned is too.

People often talk about core players vs not core players, but I've always thought of it as more of a tier system, or a core and then series of rings. I think our only true core pieces at this point are Larkin, Raymond, and Seider. Edvinsson and Cossa are probably untouchable prospects who, if they pan out, will also be core pieces.

I'd put Fabbri, Vrana, Bert, Hronek, and Ned (though he may be knocking on the door of "core") in the first ring around the core. Valuable complementary pieces that are necessary to be good but are also more replaceable than core players.

Next tier I'd put guys like Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren in. Young players who are either knocking on the door, or just arrived, but still have question marks, or young players who have been here a minute and have not developed into a valuable piece yet (maybe never will). Young, upside guys who won't all "make it" as core or ring #1 pieces but still could.

Beyond that it gets far more subjective, with probably only one more ring of guys worth talking about. Young guys with a little upside who are highly replaceable but could also fill a role for a long time (Lindstrom, Stephens), or vets who are needed to fill larger roles (Leddy, Namestnikov) and who have some decent trade value.

Everyone else is a warm body.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If Fabbri and Hronek are in that group, I have to believe Ned is too.

People often talk about core players vs not core players, but I've always thought of it as more of a tier system, or a core and then series of rings. I think our only true core pieces at this point are Larkin, Raymond, and Seider. Edvinsson and Cossa are probably untouchable prospects who, if they pan out, will also be core pieces.

I'd put Fabbri, Vrana, Bert, Hronek, and Ned (though he may be knocking on the door of "core") in the first ring around the core. Valuable complementary pieces that are necessary to be good but are also more replaceable than core players.

Next tier I'd put guys like Zadina, Rasmussen, Veleno, Berggren in. Young players who are either knocking on the door, or just arrived, but still have question marks, or young players who have been here a minute and have not developed into a valuable piece yet (maybe never will). Young, upside guys who won't all "make it" as core or ring #1 pieces but still could.

Beyond that it gets far more subjective, with probably only one more ring of guys worth talking about. Young guys with a little upside who are highly replaceable but could also fill a role for a long time (Lindstrom, Stephens), or vets who are needed to fill larger roles (Leddy, Namestnikov) and who have some decent trade value.

Everyone else is a warm body.

That's almost exactly how I see it, though I'd put Leddy in ring#1.

Also, my ex-wife tried to put a ring around my core one time...let's just say I'm too fat to ride the rollercoaster now, or get in the hot tub. :laugh: /s \s

[Old Dudes DadJokes HC]

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
That's almost exactly how I see it, though I'd put Leddy in ring#1.

Also, my ex-wife tried to put a ring around my core one time...let's just say I'm too fat to ride the rollercoaster now, or get in the hot tub. :laugh: /s \s

[Old Dudes DadJokes HC]

Haha.

Yeah, I probably put Leddy too low in Ring #3, given his role, I kinda rushed through that. I hereby promote him to Ring #2! I'd put him in Ring #1, but given the context of the rebuild, mainly the timing of it, I think he may be too old to be in the same category as those mid-20s guys I listed in Ring #1.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Haha.

Yeah, I probably put Leddy too low in Ring #3, given his role, I kinda rushed through that. I hereby promote him to Ring #2! I'd put him in Ring #1, but given the context of the rebuild, mainly the timing of it, I think he may be too old to be in the same category as those mid-20s guys I listed in Ring #1.

You laugh now, but seriously she had me in a proverbial harness (ring) like her own personal PTSD Service Monkey. I was just there to entertain her etc.
Funny, like a clown, I was there to amuse her. - Pesci

I initially thought of a tweener ring for Leddy, but I can agree on ring#2.

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You laugh now, but seriously she had me in a proverbial harness (ring) like her own personal PTSD Service Monkey. I was just there to entertain her etc.
Funny, like a clown, I was there to amuse her. - Pesci

I initially thought of a tweener ring for Leddy, but I can agree on ring#2.

"Service Monkey." Maybe you can fly for free then???

The ring system is mostly subjective....most player could probably go in a couple different tiers, I wouldn't argue.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Would of rather have traded him. IMO too much of a liability defensively for what he provides offensively.

There is nothing more overrated than the defensive responsibility of wingers and the overall impact their defensive play has on the outcomes of games.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
There is nothing more overrated than the defensive responsibility of wingers and the overall impact their defensive play has on the outcomes of games.

I tend to agree, at least with the takes on message boards/social media (I don't get the same sense with all my buddies in beer league when we talk NHL hockey). One of the best ways a winger can make an impact on the defensive side of the game is strong forechecking and backchecking, and Fabbri is better than average there. Is he a shutdown defender? No, but how many wingers are? His 1v1 defense isn't great, but he's not the biggest guy, and to me he makes up for that with his fore/backchecking. Further, as you touch on, that kinda 1v1 defense is pretty low on a winger's priority list anyway.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
"Service Monkey." Maybe you can fly for free then???

The ring system is mostly subjective....most player could probably go in a couple different tiers, I wouldn't argue.
You're firing on all cylinders today bud! The ring system is most def. subjective! Which is exactly what I told the 'ole lady. It's not always a one size fits all if you're a biggin'. /s\s Later, when I was single again, I used the ring system logic & made it work as the divergent thinker I am.

Seems she redefined it when we were shopping for a shiny rock though...which is dredged outta the bowels of the earth by likely slave labor. On a serious note, jewelry is such BS, especially diamonds, which are much less "rare" vs. their ruby/emerald/sapphire counterparts, but b/c supply is so high, they hold it & jack up the prices...created false dichotomy / Monopoly...Hegelian Dialectic. (Consider this the next time you purchase)

Back On Topic: I'll add that a players age doesn't factor into the Jastering system for me as much. It's more about the impact now & future.

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I tend to agree, at least with the takes on message boards/social media (I don't get the same sense with all my buddies in beer league when we talk NHL hockey). One of the best ways a winger can make an impact on the defensive side of the game is strong forechecking and backchecking, and Fabbri is better than average there. Is he a shutdown defender? No, but how many wingers are? His 1v1 defense isn't great, but he's not the biggest guy, and to me he makes up for that with his fore/backchecking. Further, as you touch on, that kinda 1v1 defense is pretty low on a winger's priority list anyway.

I agree. You can't be a slug in defending transition and you do need to be aware of what is happening off of the puck and put forth an honest effort to block shots. That I will give people. Apart from that though, wingers just don't find themselves in that many 1 v 1 defensive situations (at least with respect to puck carriers). When they do engage to defend the puck carrier, 90% of the time you are doing so with the support of the defensemen along the half-wall. The overall impact of an excellent defensive winger over a league average defensive winger just isn't that great in terms of the outcome of games.

Now center on the other hand....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad