FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.3 - Never too Early in the Season to Talk Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Friedman on Yakupov, Myers, and more

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/10/23/friedman-on-yakupov-myers-and-more

On Oilers:

"I heard that they're actually working the phones less than we would expect."

I was just wrapping up call with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. He said in the Tampa and Washington games, when those teams were coming back, 'we were never panicking on the bench.' He said we just believed if we kept playing as well as we were playing, we believed it would turn itself around.

On Yakupov:

He was a guy the owner really wanted. Scouting staff wanted to take Ryan Murray that year. Owner overruled them. Last year especially, organization was really down on Yakupov.

"I do believe now, if they want to trade him, they could... I don't think the owner is so fierce in his determination to keep him and I think if they could do it, they would."

However, he's actually played pretty hard this year. "They've asked him to make more of an effort, and he has. I do think they are trying to reward that." He has made the effort to do more things.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
This is why I like Yakupov right now, he is unproven, and he can be signed to a bridge contract.

I don't see much value adding Eberle type contracts to what we have. Kyper and Mclean disgree with EDM locking up a losing core actually. Other than Hall, it would have been better had they offered bridge contracts.

Right now they are locked up without accomplishing a thing, if they had a contract to play for, they might be more hungry.

Edmonton were not smart locking up this core, now they are in tough trading 6+M contracts. But I understand why they did, it's Edmonton and these young guys could have vaulted for sunnier skies. Unique market, not everyone wants to play there.

Good for Kyper and Mclean. They have a lot of opinions that are wrong.

Mclean is also the guy who made the Blue Jackets a laughing stock and loves to mention how he drafted Rich Nash all the time like it was some great feat to pick the consensus # 1 overall pick that anyone from this message board could have done.

The way I see it is the issue isn't RNH, Hall, Eberle who plenty of teams would love to have on those contracts it is that they were expected to be the best players because the Oilers had complete garbage surrounding them. With those 3 guys not only do they have 3 youngsters on great contracts (unlike say Montreal who choose to bridge Subban) they've got lots of cap room to fit in other pieces.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
time is now to trade Phaneuf............

if by "time" you mean in the summer when people can actually take on 7m in salary then yes sure. It is really hard for teams who are competing and would want his services to take him on at this juncture.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Something that Ray Ferraro constantly says (and I really like it) is that so many teams (and fans at times) get wrapped up in this game

1 Piece needs to garner # number of pieces, even if 1/2 (or all) of the pieces are mediocre. Where as a deal can get done just by trading 1 piece for 2 really good pieces.

I am not going to sit here and pretend to know everything re: Edmonton. but I think the focus SHOULD be on the 1st overall pick + one piece from Edmonton. - as well as think about what they want to do. I personally don't care if THEIR pick is 1-10 (even though that's where it will most likely fall - but they can not be looking like they are treading water)

If Shanahan wants to get rid of the Burke Regime - I would be offering Phaneuf + Gardiner for the 1st + Yaks (because that will more than likely be what Edmonton will want to move. now. you could do a blockbuster

ie:Reimer, Franson, _____ etc. and we retain salary. etc. and it gives their team what we've been - a base for middle ground. Yes we keep some salary but it puts us in a situation where we can see what our young guys can do (KNOWING that in the summer we're singing some Defensive help to help shelter them ) and then draft (Dylan Strome Please) and wherever Edmonton's pick is.

i wouldn't insist on Klefbom (Defense?) or Nurse (Defense) unless we were giving up something more. I would target Larsson if that was the case.

(to which you'd have to think what it would take to remove Larsson, which would most likely be Kadri ).

leaving us with holes down the middle and on the backend. but if a good chunk of 2015's class is ready to play in the NHL and make an impact - then you just sign character guys to support their development.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
time is now to trade Phaneuf............

If this team really wants to draft it's no. 1 center and this is the year, the Oilers 1st round pick is the single most important piece we could trade for.
I would be prepared to make Edmonton an offer of Kadri/Phaneuf for the 1st and something else.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If this team really wants to draft it's no. 1 center and this is the year, the Oilers 1st round pick is the single most important piece we could trade for.
I would be prepared to make Edmonton an offer of Kadri/Phaneuf for the 1st and something else.

It wouldn't make sense to trade NHL upgrades to a team whose first you're counting on to be as high as possible while throwing your own in the boat. The Leafs would be getting significantly worse in the short term in that scenario and we would want to retain our first.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It wouldn't make sense to trade NHL upgrades to a team whose first you're counting on to be as high as possible while throwing your own in the boat. The Leafs would be getting significantly worse in the short term in that scenario and we would want to retain our first.

I'm not giving the Oilers our 1st. I'm taking theirs. Even with that trade I really doubt the Oilers get out of the bottom 10.
And the Leafs getting worse in the short term, one year where front line centers are available in the top 7 is a step back to address an impossible need.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not giving the Oilers our 1st. I'm taking theirs. Even with that trade I really doubt the Oilers get out of the bottom 10.
And the Leafs getting worse in the short term, one year where front line centers are available in the top 7 is a step back to address an impossible need.

I would trade Kadri/Bozak for an Edmonton 1st. Heck, I'd even do something like Kadri, Gardiner (or Phaneuf) + for Petry, Yakupov and their first.

Kadri/Bozak = Yakupov

That's a fair assumption. Most likely equal players with equal value. Kadri is 4 years older (and Bozak is 8 years older). However guy with high raw talent compared to a guy who is far more refined with the potential to get even better (Kadri) or one of the best 2C's in the league (Bozak) is easily worth that one for one.

Gardiner >> Petry

Gardiner has far more potential than Petry does. He's also younger (2 years) and a better overall player. Quite a bit would have to be added to make it fair for us (2nd at least).

Holland, Ashton/Frattin and difference from above (2nd at least) for the 1st.

Now it's really up to what the "plus" is. Assuming that the above is true, what would be fair? Quite a handsome price would have to be added to Petry. Even if, hypothetically, Yakupov was worth more than Kadri/Bozak, it wouldn't be equal. However, the difference would not be their 1st either. I estimate a 2nd/3rd would have to be added to balance it out. So what would have to be added to this surplus from the first part of the deal to make it equal to their first? I took a shot at it.

B level NHL ready prospect, upper C level NHL ready prospect/bottom 6 player and a 2nd (at least) for the 1st. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. I guess I'll see based off of what everyone thinks.

:leafs
Nail Yakupov
Jeff Petry
1st round pick 2015

:edmonton
Nazem Kadri/Tyler Bozak
Jake Gardiner
Peter Holland
Carter Ashton/Matt Frattin

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I would trade Kadri/Bozak for an Edmonton 1st. Heck, I'd even do something like Kadri, Gardiner (or Phaneuf) + for Petry, Yakupov and their first.

Kadri/Bozak = Yakupov

That's a fair assumption. Most likely equal players with equal value. Kadri is 4 years older (and Bozak is 8 years older). However guy with high raw talent compared to a guy who is far more refined with the potential to get even better (Kadri) or one of the best 2C's in the league (Bozak) is easily worth that one for one.

Gardiner >> Petry

Gardiner has far more potential than Petry does. He's also younger (2 years) and a better overall player. Quite a bit would have to be added to make it fair for us (2nd at least).

Now it's really up to what the "plus" is. Assuming that the above is true, what would be fair? Quite a handsome price would have to be added to Petry. Even if, hypothetically, Yakupov was worth more than Kadri/Bozak, it wouldn't be equal. However, the difference would not be their 1st either. I estimate a 2nd/3rd would have to be added to balance it out. So what would have to be added to this surplus from the first part of the deal to make it equal to their first? I took a shot at it.

B level NHL ready prospect, upper C level NHL ready prospect/bottom 6 player and a 2nd (at least) for the 1st. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. I guess I'll see based off of what everyone thinks.

Nail Yakupov
Jeff Petry
1st round pick 2015

Nazem Kadri/Tyler Bozak
Jake Gardiner
Peter Holland
so what you are telling me is that we completely decimate our centre depth and run with tyler gretzky bozak?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
so what you are telling me is that we completely decimate our centre depth and run with tyler gretzky bozak?

Or Kadri, yes. Rebuild time. We could use Kontiola and/or acquire one using Ashton/Frattin (whoever isn't traded) ;) Chipchura, Brodziak, etc. are available for cheap. None of them are top 6ers, but that's only a minor detail anyways. At least we'll have stacked wingers :D

Seriously, the trade would be more or less a long term move, while we can go out and get a different center somewhere else (either from the Marlies or through trade). We would drop like a stone, have some good assets for the short and long term, and we'd give some guys some opportunities. Maybe doesn't happen now, but if we look bad by Christmas or the deadline, I could see it potentially happening.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Kadri/Bozak = Yakupov

Gardiner >> Petry

Nail Yakupov
Jeff Petry
1st round pick 2015

Nazem Kadri/Tyler Bozak
Jake Gardiner
Peter Holland

Doubt this is a trade that Edmonton would be interested in. Doesn't address their needs …… IMHO.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
The Oilers are not trading their #1 pick in 2015 and anybody that believes so is a fool. And even if they do move the pick, do you really believe they wouldnt top 10 protect it?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Jeff Petry isn't a huge improvement on what the Leafs currently have. And trading Nail Yakupov when his trade value is at its lowest isn't the smartest move.

The kid is talented, but similar to Ovechkin people will always question if he's coachable.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
according the main board dreger said that he would be surprsied to see kadri here after the deadline.. thoughts?

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
according the main board dreger said that he would be surprsied to see kadri here after the deadline.. thoughts?

I don't think he'll be traded to Edmonton. The oil need a known commodity and although Kadri has played under Eakins, he is still a developing player. I would wager someone like Bozak, or Santorelli would be moved before Kadri. I guess it all depends on whether management thinks Kadri is in the team's long-term future or if Nylander or Holland will be better suited for his "sheltered" position.

----

I'd rather not see him go but if Kadri is traded, I'd like to see him bundled with Lupul for Taylor Hall.
- The Oilers get a heart and soul guy in Lupul and
- both leafs guys can put the puck in the back of the net.

Why Hall? One reason is that he takes the most shots in his team bar none... and it's by quite a margin. If the Oil want Yakupov to get his fair share of shots (he's quite the sniper) and also play a significant amount of minutes they either have to keep the players seperate or introduce a player like Bozak as their center. Second reason is unfortunately related to Jeff Skinner--Hall seems to miss time each year due to injuries. The style of game he plays to earn his paycheck demands it but how long will his body last?

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

We would have to get a very good player back, did he mention any deals, that are being discussed.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Why would we trade Kadri before his prime? Because we think he wont reach his potential?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Shanahan is the guy to fix the Leafs, we'll see significant changes between now and the start of next season. I think IF he's going to fix the Leafs, he'll be actively looking (if possible) at moving Phaneuf before the deadline comes around. I also believe Kessel will be moved before the start of next season, he's a great sniper, but that's icing on the cake, Shanahan knows he needs to have the cake before the icing, something Burke was too naive to realize. It should be a interesting season regardless of how the team fairs on the ice this season.............

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
If Shanahan is the guy to fix the Leafs, we'll see significant changes between now and the start of next season. I think IF he's going to fix the Leafs, he'll be actively looking (if possible) at moving Phaneuf before the deadline comes around. I also believe Kessel will be moved before the start of next season, he's a great sniper, but that's icing on the cake, Shanahan knows he needs to have the cake before the icing, something Burke was too naive to realize. It should be a interesting season regardless of how the team fairs on the ice this season.............

I think its really difficult to find icing when you need it the most.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Why would we trade Kadri before his prime? Because we think he wont reach his potential?

My fear would be another prickly contract dispute. He wanted a hefty sum the last time coming off just 48 games if he has another 50 point season he may look as much if not more next year.

It's kind of hard to say if the management have stomach for that again, And why I wouldn't be surprise if he's not here even as early as Dec 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad