FA/Trade Thread 2014-15 Season V.11 - Trade Deadline Approaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I could handle that from Leafs perspective, think would be pretty close for WPG, as they were pretty cautious to commit to Frolik last year. Might have to be a Granberg or someone with higher potential than Holzer.

Wonder what the consensus with others is on something like that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I am not arguing that they aren't different types of players or that retaining salary isn't a cap era thing(I said the same thing earlier in this thread). Fact is, one was still picked and the other wasn't, yet you have Dion higher than JBO and claim it was because they are "different players". So how do you conclude Dion>JBO then?

It's probably more >=, not a huge difference. One is slightly overpaid, the other slightly underpaid.
Phaneuf is better offensively, tougher.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So, if JBO was in Toronto, Phaneuf in STL, Team Canada wouldn't have picked JBO and took Phaneuf instead?

Has JBO ever shown himself capable of being the man? If you switch their teams, that would be the expectation.

Last edited:

CalgaryLeaf*

Possible 2nd Round Draft pick Additions

I think Shanahan will be focussed on acquiring 2nd rounders in what is expected to be a deep draft.

Winnik: 2nd rounder...A good playoff type player that teams want.

Santorelli: 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Lupul: 2nd rounder...His injury history is why he won't get us a first rounder

Franson: 2nd rounder...Rental type;Will be a UFA so teams will not offer a first rounder.

Bozak: 2nd rounder...Some team could use a decent third line center in the playoffs.

Gardiner: 2nd rounder...He's still unproven and his big contract will not return a first rounder.

JVR: First rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Kessel: First rounder + prospect

Dion: 2nd round pick..Leafs will have to eat a considerable portion of his contract.

Kadri: First rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Holland: 3rd rounder...Bottom 6 player can be useful to some team.

Komarov: 2nd rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Rielly: 2 first rounders (or a top 5 pick in the Draft + prospect)...Leafs most untouchable player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The people who chose the team have no loyalty to anyone except winning.

They chose the best players for the team, and chose players who could skate and would fit in with what they wanted to do.

Flames traded for Bouwmeester and moved Phaneuf.

Then traded JBO for Cundari, Berra and Poirier. Teams do silly things all the time. The ask for Phaneuf was significantly greater. Might tell you after seeing what they had, what value they assigned the individual to be worth.

Oct 19, 2007
I think Shanahan will be focussed on acquiring 2nd rounders in what is expected to be a deep draft.

Winnki: 2nd rounder...A good playoff type player that teams want.

Santorelli: 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Lupul: 2nd rounder...His injury history is why he won't get us a first rounder

Franson: 2nd rounder...Rental type;Will be a UFA so teams will not offer a first rounder.

Bozak: 2nd rounder...Some team could use a decent third round center in the playoffs.

Gardiner: 2nd rounder...He's still unproven and his big contract will not return a first rounder.

JVR: First rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Kessel: First rounder + prospect

Dion: 2nd round pick..Leafs will have to eat a considerable portion of his contract.

Kadri: First rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Holland: 3rd rounder...Bottom 6 player can be useful to some team.

Komarov: 2nd rounder...Leafs will probably keep him.

Rielly: 2 first rounders (or a top 3 pick in the Draft + prospect)...Leafs most untouchable player.
That looks like a very good summation of these players and what the Leafs should expect. Obviously they will not be getting rid of all these players but the return for the 2 or 3 that they will be trading lookds about right.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
So, if JBO was in Toronto, Phaneuf in STL, Team Canada wouldn't have picked JBO and took Phaneuf instead?

Most assuredly wouldn't have taken JBo, doubtful Phanueuf would have been picked regardless.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I know there are some that like this player on this board.

How about Mikhail Grigorenko to the Leafs?

Buffalo will likely land on Eichel or Mcdavid this summer.

They have Reinhart and Girgensens developing nicely. Nice building blocks huh?

Mikhail Grigorenko has fallen in the depth chart. May be available?

Kadri for Grigorenko?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
ahahahahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

dion>>Jbo

hrmmmm, tough, tough call, listen to acc or the gms that put together a gold medal winning team

ya that's about a tough a call as gauging those two players head to head :laugh:

god some folks here are comedy gold I tell ya.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Pretty much... Jaybo was a dump when Calgary traded him. Funny how a better team and system changes a players value

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I know there are some that like this player on this board.

How about Mikhail Grigorenko to the Leafs?

Buffalo will likely land on Eichel or Mcdavid this summer.

They have Reinhart and Girgensens developing nicely. Nice building blocks huh?

Mikhail Grigorenko has fallen in the depth chart. May be available?

Kadri for Grigorenko?

I would trade for Grigorenko, but is is obscene how bad a deal it is for Toronto.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would trade for Grigorenko, but is is obscene how bad a deal it is for Toronto.

Actually Grigorenko is at a decent value right now, he is 20, and there is still a chance he may work out. Leafs need to get younger, and have all guys peaking at the same time in a rebuild 3 to 4 years from now. This one is a roll of the dice. We know he's not a fit in Buffalo. With Eichel/Mcdavid on the way, Reinhart and Girgensens rounding up a terrific top 3 young Center core.

Kadri can be the young veteran winger for Buffalo, he will be surrounded by 3 good young Centers. Makes sense to me.

He is a guy I have identified as a recent top pick that may not fit an organization anymore, something I am sure Nonis and co. have noticed too.

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Actually Grigorenko is at a decent value right now, he is 20, and there is still a chance he may work out. Leafs need to get younger, and have all guys peaking at the same time in a rebuild 3 to 4 years from now. This one is a roll of the dice. We know he's not a fit in Buffalo. With Eichel/Mcdavid on the way, Reinhart and Girgensens rounding up a terrific top 3 young Center core.

Kadri can be the young veteran winger for Buffalo, he will be surrounded by 3 good young Centers. Makes sense to me.

He is a guy I have identified as a recent top pick that may not fit an organization anymore, something I am sure Nonis and co. have noticed too.

All I see are decent and chance. Compare that to legit and actual. Which one is better?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
All I see are decent and chance. Compare that to legit and actual. Which one is better?

Well we have to get younger if we are rebuilding. Timing is the key. Rielly is the building block. We need to time players getting good at the same age as him.

Grigorenko is 20, same age as Rielly. He still has talent, he is still young. He is going nowhere in Buffalo as a top 2 C with what they have coming soon.

It's a good chance to work out a deal for him. If he takes off, his value soares and it is too late. This may be the time to get him.

I would trade Grigornenko's potential for Kadri's potential easily. Kadri may be a winger when it is all said and done.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Id be very interested in a Horvat + Kassian deal.... maybe even getting Markstrom. wonder what it would take.

Both are Ontario players. Both have tenacity to their games. Horvat has leadership qualities.

JVR Horvat Santorelli
Nylander Kadri Lupul
Komarov Holland Kassian
Winnik ----- Clarkson

Rielly/Gardiner/Franson/Robidas/Percy/Granberg/Polak

Bernier/Markstrom/Reimer

Trade Kessel/Phaneuf/Reimer/Bozak

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Well we have to get younger if we are rebuilding. Timing is the key. Rielly is the building block. We need to time players getting good at the same age as him.

Grigorenko is 20, same age as Rielly. He still has talent, he is still young. He is going nowhere in Buffalo as a top 2 C with what they have coming soon.

It's a good chance to work out a deal for him. If he takes off, his value soares and it is too late. This may be the time to get him.

I would trade Grigornenko's potential for Kadri's potential easily. Kadri may be a winger when all is said and done.

Simply, there isn't enough reward. That move would be a move made just for the sake of it, and those moves are almost guaranteed to favour the other team. It's not that Grig is a bad target, it's that Kadri is not the right piece to consider moving for him.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
PHP:

I would trade Grigornenko's potential for Kadri's potential easily. Kadri may be a winger when it is all said and done.

Your out to lunch. That's a horrible deal, stop trying to justify other wise. Kadri is 24, I get trying to get younger but he's age isn't an issue.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Adam Kimelman @NHLAdamK

Scouts in Philly tonight for #Flyers and #Leafs: Ducks, Hurricanes, Kings, Sharks, Jets, Canadiens. And 2 from Blues, including the new guy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Simply, there isn't enough reward. That move would be a move made just for the sake of it, and those moves are almost guaranteed to favour the other team. It's not that Grig is a bad target, it's that Kadri is not the right piece to consider moving for him.

Last year the Forsberg deal for Erat was equally as risky.

I always liked Forsberg his draft year, those deals are risky. But Nashville look like geniuses today for making it.

I had Forsberg higher than Grigorenko his draft year, but it wasn't head and shoulders higher. So perhaps both are NHL equals when and if they blossom.

I am confident trading a Kadri who is stuck on the developmental path, but seems more value now for the riskier player. It Will be erased in a few years if Grigorenko is given a chance in the top 6 on our team. Grigorenko is 4 years younger.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Point is guys and gals.

We need to be proactive and look for the JVR for Schenn or Erat for Forsberg deals.

Rielly is the player to build around in Toronto. We need players all peaking at the same ages like Chicago did with their organization. Rielly is 20, in 3 years time we hope he starts playing at an all-star level. This is when you want your core to be doing the same thing.

Grigorenko at 20 is a player I would be very interested in.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
That looks like a very good summation of these players and what the Leafs should expect. Obviously they will not be getting rid of all these players but the return for the 2 or 3 that they will be trading lookds about right.

Phaneuf will fetch much more than 2nd. Especially if we eat a lot of salary. Op did a horrible job evaluating his worth.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

Grigorenko's value is closer to Holland than Kadri, and even with Holland, it should be Buffalo adding ...Grigorenko may not even pan out;,with Kadri they would be adding a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad