Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Continue from the last thread

MOD NOTE:

Per board rules you MUST have a source for rumours. "Im hearing talk of" and "a little birdie told me" or "my dads best friends nieces cousins roommate knows so and so in the NHL and they said this" dont count.

If you have a source who isnt publically known and wish to post what you hear, you will need admin permission to do so. PM me or another mod and we will connect you for verification.

We currently have one confirmed insider on this board. Those of you familiar with this thread will know who that it is. Don't bother asking his source as the mods dont even know who it is. Thats between him and the board admins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 18, 2009
Lupul for Berglund? I will drive Lupul to the airport.

And buy him some designer jeans for his trip.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
There will be no "prying".

Whoever holds that pick will be holding onto it for dear life.

The Hanfin pick is where it could get interesting, but even then thats a highly coveted pick.

Obviously teams around the league will attempt to move up to those Top 3 spots, but the price tag will likely make many fans feel quite uncomfortable.

we're already uncomfortable ...I was already proposing Bernier, JVR, and Rielly for the pick alone, and thats more than it cost to get Lindros.

...neither of these guys is Lindros caliber.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lupul for Berglund? I will drive Lupul to the airport.

And buy him some designer jeans for his trip.

And then the fan base will go into crying mode again when Berglund can barely put up 15 goals and 30 points.

"Another third line plug with hands of stone!! FML!!!!"

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
And then the fan base will go into crying mode again when Berglund can barely put up 15 goals and 30 points.

Its possible.

But I hope most of our fan base is intelligent enough to understand that this move would present much more positive than negative outside of point production.

But thing fan base constantly proves me wrong. Lol

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Never happy. This fan base literally can't see positives. We could win the Cup and people would ***** about how we didn't deserve it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
we're already uncomfortable ...I was already proposing Bernier, JVR, and Rielly for the pick alone, and thats more than it cost to get Lindros.

...neither of these guys is Lindros caliber.

Oh I don't know about that.

mikebel111*

Kadri gets traded in 3-2-1.....
Oh wait we have said this since he was drafted.
Like I said, its lies until I see action

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The point of pointing out an old poll where the majority of the fanbase were adamantly against trading Gardiner for the Monahan pick (regardless of if it was realistic or not) is to show that thinking outside the box can create some good moves.

People shut down that idea instantly, simply because Gardiner was already on the team and they liked Gardiner. They didn't even consider arguments regarding our team needs (centre), team strengths (defence, with Rielly, Phaneuf, Franson, Percy, Finn, etc). They didn't consider arguments that Monahan would be the best C prospect this organization has had in decades, etc. Because it all boiled down to liking Gardiner and putting the blinders on.

Regardless of whether or not the move was realistic. I think it's a good example of why people shouldn't immediately shut down "youth for youth" style trades, simply because they're scared of trading our youth. That logic means no L. Schenn for JVR deal.

Youth for youth is risky BOTH ways. If the potential is similar and it addresses team needs, there's no reason not to consider it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The one deal that absolutely needs to happen is Franson for a late 1st rd pick. This franchise should have learned by now you cannot let a upcoming UFA walk for free without getting an asset back. Sooner the better. Incase of injury. Not sure what Nonis and Shanahan are waiting for? These guys to get hurt and blown asset right there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Its possible.

But I hope most of our fan base is intelligent enough to understand that this move would present much more positive than negative outside of point production.

Lupul's contract + Age + Injury history doesn't give him a ton of value .. Not sure how many teams (if any) would give quality futures for him .. And any trade involving Lupes would need salary coming back

Berglund could benefit from a change of scenery, has some upside, but would slot nicely into a #3C role for the time being ... Not a bad pick up

What's his contract again?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Its possible.

They have to stop this. We don't need a defensive player when obviously we are hunting for a better pick. I hope they will understand this and take the best youth package they can get even if its not the "best" deal on the table and also free up the most cap.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The one deal that absolutely needs to happen is Franson for a late 1st rd pick. This franchise should have learned by now you cannot let a upcoming UFA walk for free without getting an asset back. Sooner the better. Incase of injury. Not sure what Nonis and Shanahan are waiting for? These guys to get hurt and blown asset right there.

Why would we rush a trade? The 1st pick will likley come from a bidding war very close to the deadline. Unfortunately that doesn't help the tank.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Something we can agree upon. If this deadline goes by without a Franson trade, I will be displeased in a large way. To be honest I don't even want the guy signed long term unless it's a steal of a deal for a limited term (which it won't be since the guy wants his cash and has a history of playing hardball to get it).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why would we rush a trade? The 1st pick will likley come from a bidding war very close to the deadline. Unfortunately that doesn't help the tank.

Do you read, I am not going to repeat what I said in the post. INJURY. If Franson is hurt, there goes that asset. From a risk management POV. If the pick is on the table, just do it. Bank the asset.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Do you read, I am not going to repeat what I said in the post. INJURY. If Franson is hurt, there goes that asset. From a risk management POV. If the pick is on the table, just do it. Bank the asset.

Can't argue there.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Not to mention given Franson's inconsistent past, there's a half-decent chance he drives his value down simply with his play. Him/Phaneuf have both looked worse the last month or so, but Franson doesn't have the long-term reputation of being a solid top 4 guy to maintain that high value after an extended cold streak.

With Phaneuf injured, Franson may get exposed and start looking worse, and then see his value drop. I'd try to sell it to other teams that if they simply pony up solid value now, instead of entering a bidding war a month from now and ultimately paying that same high price, that they'll get Franson for a whole extra month.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
They have to stop this. We don't need a defensive player when obviously we are hunting for a better pick. I hope they will understand this and take the best youth package they can get even if its not the "best" deal on the table and also free up the most cap.

I cant see any team taking on Lupul unless they give us a poor contract back.

Depending on how poor depends on the quality of the futures in that package.

We wont be outright shedding his contract and gaining any significant futures with.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Lupul's contract + Age + Injury history doesn't give him a ton of value .. Not sure how many teams (if any) would give quality futures for him .. And any trade involving Lupes would need salary coming back

Berglund could benefit from a change of scenery, has some upside, but would slot nicely into a #3C role for the time being ... Not a bad pick up

I don't agree I think Lupul contract is pretty fair per production. It's not an issue that he makes 5.25/season, it's just that's he's injured a lot so it's a risk to take on the cap.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not to mention given Franson's inconsistent past, there's a half-decent chance he drives his value down simply with his play. Him/Phaneuf have both looked worse the last month or so, but Franson doesn't have the long-term reputation of being a solid top 4 guy to maintain that high value after an extended cold streak.

With Phaneuf injured, Franson may get exposed and start looking worse, and then see his value drop. I'd try to sell it to other teams that if they simply pony up solid value now, instead of entering a bidding war a month from now and ultimately paying that same high price, that they'll get Franson for a whole extra month.

See this is the smart move. You have to get it going and decide once and for all. Won't sign him? Move him.

Now Lupul, what the heck does Beeglund do for us? A buddy for Nylander? I don't get how it helps us to get better picks or anything. He has a couple years to UFA? So a rental that may actually help us pick lower at the TDL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I cant see any team taking on Lupul unless they give us a poor contract back.

Depending on how poor depends on the quality of the futures in that package.

We wont be outright shedding his contract and gaining any significant futures with.

I understand that. I just feel anything + that cap space free is better than a rental while we rebuild. Cap space should be as much a priority as picking high and this move does neither.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

3.7 mill cap hit ufa 17/18

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/STL?year=2015

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Another 2 seasons at $3.7m.

This rumour doesn't make any sense from a Blues perspective. We have to give extensions to Tarasenko, Schwartz, Lehterä, Backes, Gunnarsson, Allen and Jaškin in the next 18 months. When Berglund gets moved it would be to free up salary to deal with those salary increases, adding long term salary is pretty unlikely.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

This makes a lot of sense to me. Wait until the deadline and we might get more than we would now, but we also might get less. In this case it seems like the potential downside is bigger than the potential upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese