Speculation: FA frenzy over - Now the Dogdays begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hope you're right. Millers' iFSh% was 6th in the league last year among forwards with 1000 minutes at 5v5. I don't see a way that he keeps that up.

But yeah, definitely hope you're right.

Yes, sucking for a few years and building through top-5 picks is one way to build a franchise. It is not the only way.

Tell that to the Penguins,Kings,Hawks and Bruins. Which teams have won the Cup since 2009?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That's only if you don't consider the fact that the Canadiens made the trade as proof. You think they make that move for hockey reasons if there was nothing extra curricular going on?

I love Subban and his attitude. I think the trade is dumb. But the fact that they went ahead and did it is proof enough for me that plenty of **** went down.

Eh, I don't doubt that there was a riff between management and Subban. I'm just not convinced he's as much of a detriment to the locker room as people are speculating.

The Habs are an extremely poorly run franchise. They operate under the premise that nobody on the team can be bigger than the club itself. That's why they moved him.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It was his first full season where he was given a steady role, so naturally his adjusted stats are going to look like an aberration. I'm not saying I'd give him a huge deal or anything, but I think he's right in line to give us much of what we all hope Kreider will give us on a consistent basis.

It's a gamble. Do you bridge and risk that this isn't the new normal for JT and he comes back down to maybe a 15-17 goal player. Or, do you suspect that this is the new normal for JT, and he'll be a consistent 20-25 goal player?

Tough spot.

Tell that to the Penguins,Kings,Hawks and Bruins. Which teams have won the Cup since 2009?

You mean those teams that are heavily invested in analytics?

I'm glad you're coming around!

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Eh, I don't doubt that there was a riff between management and Subban. I'm just not convinced he's as much of a detriment to the locker room as people are speculating.

The Habs are an extremely poorly run franchise. They operate under the premise that nobody on the team can be bigger than the club itself. That's why they moved him.

The demands of a traditionalist market perhaps. Again, I think the trade is dumb, but effective management starts with a vision/mission and if PK didn't fit that in Montreal they did the right thing in moving him. Whether or not it would have been better to change the entire management philosophy is a different question entirely.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Bingo. People can laugh at the Oilers all they want for the Hall trade. I have for a little while. At least they addressed a need with a young player that is in the process of fulfilling his potential.

Montreal traded an young #1 dman in his prime for an older, slower version of that dman because of this idiotic philosophy. They are a franchise that I hope is stuck in failure longer than the Oilers are.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's a gamble. Do you bridge and risk that this isn't the new normal for JT and he comes back down to maybe a 15-17 goal player. Or, do you suspect that this is the new normal for JT, and he'll be a consistent 20-25 goal player?

Tough spot.

Depends on what I could get him under contract with term for. Anything under $4M for 4 years is something I'd strongly consider. I mean the "normal" for Miller is all over the map to this point. Previously his normal was inconsistency in the NHL mixed with some time in Hartford. I don't expect that to be the case anymore. I expect him to be much closer to 20 goals in the NHL than riding the bus to CT.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Everyone cross Teemu Pulkkinen off your wish list. He's out for 4-6 months with shoulder surgery.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Depends on what I could get him under contract with term for. Anything under $4M for 4 years is something I'd strongly consider. I mean the "normal" for Miller is all over the map to this point. Previously his normal was inconsistency in the NHL mixed with some time in Hartford. I don't expect that to be the case anymore. I expect him to be much closer to 20 goals in the NHL than riding the bus to CT.

As it stands now, it's just tough for me to see how JT keeps up that shooting is all, and I don't think it's out of the question that with a 4x4 deal, that the Rangers end up paying $4m for a middle-6 player. Not the end of the world, obviously.

Anyway, I am pumped for an upcoming full-season of data on Miller to see what he really is or is not.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hope you're right. Millers' iFSh% was 6th in the league last year among forwards with 1000 minutes at 5v5. I don't see a way that he keeps that up.

But yeah, definitely hope you're right.

I'm thinking Dubinsky like production. 50-55 point player. Miller is more of a scorer than Dubi. Miller is 25-25 type while Dubi is more of a 15/35 type.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'm thinking Dubinsky like production. 50-55 point player. Miller is more of a scorer than Dubi. Miller is 25-25 type while Dubi is more of a 15/35 type.

Dubi and Miller are comparable in many ways, including having a season with a 100% increase in your shooting percentage over three years aggregated prior ;) Dubi's went down 33% the next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

A Miller - Dubi - Callahan line would have been a ***** to play against.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
If you've never been in a team locker room (at any level, really) with a me-first ********, I dont expect you to understand.

What was the last level you played at? Are we talking pro hockey or any other pro sports? What city did you play in? Did you have the media around you all day, every day, scrutinizing everything you did in your life?

Folks, I think we have a former NHL player on our board who can share wisdom about locker room dynamics. How interesting. Unless of course BRB is not a former player, which would make his argument unbelievably assinine. If it were me I would probably try an argument like

"If you have never been in a job situation (at any level of employment) and worked with a me-first *******, I don't expect you to understand"

Anybody could relate to that. Not everyone can relate to being part of a pro team. So tell us, what teams have you played for and at what level? If we are to understand lockeroom dynamics like you do, please explain further how teammates interact. With your (seemingly) intimate knowledge, it should not be a problem.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Dubi and Miller are comparable in many ways, including having a season with a 100% increase in your shooting percentage over three years aggregated prior ;) Dubi's went down 33% the next year.

Just asking, but was this season the one before his "alleged" wild summer that led to him being traded?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
As it stands now, it's just tough for me to see how JT keeps up that shooting is all, and I don't think it's out of the question that with a 4x4 deal, that the Rangers end up paying $4m for a middle-6 player. Not the end of the world, obviously.

Anyway, I am pumped for an upcoming full-season of data on Miller to see what he really is or is not.

I mean I'm sure it will drop, but I fully expect him to supplement that with more opportunities to shoot. I think he's settled in well on the wing, and he looked really confident to end the year. I'm hopeful for another step forward this season. If I could give him the Silfverberg deal I would, but he'll be a UFA at the end of a 4 year deal, so I might consider a 5th year. I just think he's a guy who will get better.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I mean I'm sure it will drop, but I fully expect him to supplement that with more opportunities to shoot. I think he's settled in well on the wing, and he looked really confident to end the year. I'm hopeful for another step forward this season. If I could give him the Silfverberg deal I would, but he'll be a UFA at the end of a 4 year deal, so I might consider a 5th year. I just think he's a guy who will get better.

I agree with you. Miller really settled in once he found his niche. He simplified his game and realized what type of player he wanted to be, and the bolded part of your post brought up a very good point. I thin we'll also see him tone it down with the brainfarts in the defensive zone. Those go away with age normally.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just asking, but was this season the one before his "alleged" wild summer that led to him being traded?

Dubi's iFSh% increased over 100% in 14-15 versus 11-14. In 15-16, his iFSh% went down 33% compared to his "inflated" number in 14-15.

Yes, he will definitely need to find ways to shoot more. 8th in the team in individual shot attempts per 60. Has to go up because it's nearly a certainty that his shooting percentage will go down.

Does Jensen require waivers? Because if he does, he could be the next victim of Tanner Glass.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Dubi's iFSh% increased over 100% in 14-15 versus 11-14. In 15-16, his iFSh% went down 33% compared to his "inflated" number in 14-15.

Yes, he will definitely need to find ways to shoot more. 8th in the team in individual shot attempts per 60. Has to go up because it's nearly a certainty that his shooting percentage will go down.

Does Jensen require waivers? Because if he does, he could be the next victim of Tanner Glass.

Do you really want the answer to this question? :laugh:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I would keep all of Kreider, Miller, and Hayes. Trade Stepan/Zucc/Brassard before those three. But I want to rebuild, so, yeah...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have a question for the folks that say we should tear it all down.

Would you be willing to buy (and attend) at least green level season tickets for the next 3 seasons if we play Tanner Glass, Dan Girardi, and Marc Staal the most minutes on the team to achieve your total rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad