GDT: FA Frenzy Day 3 and beyond (where does Nino go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Probably can go ahead and scratch him off the list for us....

Also, sets a benchmark for Necas.....

Why?

I’d say this makes him more likely to be traded. Now there’s cost certainty. This is a very terse announcement:

No quotes from the GM at all. I think he gone, likely by the end of the week if not before.

Reactions: cptjeff and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
"This f***er got an SPC now, y'all."

Seems odd that Holland had not a word to say about the player in the official release.

“I signed his sorry ass, now offer up your 2nd picks bitches”

As a bit of a contrast, a bit rosier welcome for a new coach:

Reactions: geehaad and Lempo

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
If JP ever finds the ability to finish at the NHL level I think he would make a great 2nd line winger. As others have pointed out his finishing is maybe better when he’s controlling the puck off the rush, and that’s just not going to happen playing with McDrais.

As he is right now I think he easily slots in on a Staal type shutdown 3rd line, he’s a forechecking machine who uses his big frame in an unconventional manner. Does that make him a bust? I don’t necessarily think so. Disappointment based on his draft position? Maybe.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
If JP ever finds the ability to finish at the NHL level I think he would make a great 2nd line winger. As others have pointed out his finishing is maybe better when he’s controlling the puck off the rush, and that’s just not going to happen playing with McDrais.

As he is right now I think he easily slots in on a Staal type shutdown 3rd line, he’s a forechecking machine who uses his big frame in an unconventional manner. Does that make him a bust? I don’t necessarily think so. Disappointment based on his draft position? Maybe.
perhaps heresy, but I'd trade Fast for JP.....

Reactions: Stickpucker and ndp

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I was curious who they all were.

Albany:
Tom Rowe --> CAR Assistant-->KHL HC-->San Antonio AHL HC -->Portland AHL HC-->FLA HC (disaster)-->Austria HC--> out of hockey?
Jeff Daniels - we all know where he is

Charlotte Checkers:
Jeff Daniels -we all know where he is
Mark Morris -->St. Lawrence Univ.-->fired in 2019
Ulf Samuelsson --> CHI Assistant-->Kraken Scout-->Leksands IF HC--> FLA Assistant
Mike Vellucci --> WBS AHL HC --> PIT Assistant
Ryan Warsofsky

Chicago
Ryan Warsofsky
Yup. I started thinking about it recently when Warsofsky's name was coming up. Some of them seem to have settled into solid careers, but not really anything that makes me miss them. And it seemed like Ulf and Vellucci were both thought to be on a pretty good path to more than where they are. I'm sure Vellucci will finally get a chance at some point as he seems to get some interviews. Might need the guy in front of him to get fired at some point.

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I admittedly didn't watch as much of Puljujarvi this past season, but his skating and balance still seem off to me when I do see him. Kinda somewhere in between Kotkaniemi and Necas (not a great example but best I can come up with now). He's a much better skater than Kotkaniemi and not as good as Necas, but he seems to get knocked off balance easily. When not skating at speed but down low, his balance seems better, but Kotkaniemi seems stronger on his skates in those situations.

Maybe he improved last season, but he still seems a bit awkward.

Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Wolves signed 3 meh players. I would expect some AHL SPCs because of the expected amount of prospects getting ATOs after their seasons are over

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean, Farrance was nothing special but really? stunned that he had to do an AHL contract, not even a 2-way contract. I literally remember him playing against us with Nashville and being non-shit level with BU and in the AHL before that.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I would love to see how JP does with us but I don't see any way that happens with the current cap.
I am admittedly not his biggest fan but I think he could be Nino light. I'm just not sure of his hockey sense and compete level compared to a guy like Nino. That could potentially come as he gets more experience though.

Reactions: SlavinAway

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hold up here, you're telling me that in 2006, a 32 year old had Cale for a first name? Geez I'm 34 and the only Cale I know is, 25?
FileDownload.aspx_3.jpeg

Turn in your Charlotte ID sir, you are now a Rock Hill transplant from Mongolia.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Seems odd that Holland had not a word to say about the player in the official release.
Yeah, wouldn't expect a team get offended for a player filing for arbitration, though the organization got a patched history with Jesse. Intentional absense of perceived commitment is a plausible explamation here.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That was the same year we had Jason Woolley in camp, also on a pto. He didn’t get signed, either.

Hello other person that remembers this obscure shit

Geez and I thought I was the king of obscure knowledge. I do kinda remember Jeff O'Neill getting a PTO in 2007? Also I remember reading one time that Chad Larose beat out David Clarkson for the last spot in 2005.

But, yeah I've never heard of Wolley or Hulse.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad