F Vasili Atanasov - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2021 Undrafted)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Russian Hockey is on the rise, that’s obvious. More and more depth, diversification of profile.

In the NHL of the 2030s, it will be the 3rd world power.

5 years ago, 37 Russians played in NHL, this season already 61 players.
Lies, damned lies and statistics
Number of russians in NHL has grown to around 60 per year and is stable for last 3 years.
In the later part of 2020s and early 2030s I expect this number to grow and then drop again in the late 2030s.

As for 3rd hockey power, question is, will they produce a)centers, b)elite defensemen, c)star players to compensate retirement of old stars

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russian Hockey is on the rise, that’s obvious. More and more depth, diversification of profile.

In the NHL of the 2030s, it will be the 3rd world power.

5 years ago, 37 Russians played in NHL, this season already 61 players.
Number of russians in NHL has grown to around 60 per year and is stable for last 3 years.
In the later part of 2020s and early 2030s I expect this number to grow and then drop again in the late 2030s.

As for 3rd hockey power, question is, will they produce a)centers, b)elite defensemen, c)star players to compensate retirement of old stars

Was just waiting for Garl to respond to that post.

It’s like a Bat-Signal. :biglaugh:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

53 in 2020/21
62 in 2021/22
63 in 2022/23

Probably 65 in 2023/24

Elite defenders and centers will come with time. More and more Russian defenders in the league, D selected very high. There are already 2 centers expected very high for the 2025 and 2026 draft.
It’s a nation on the rise, that’s undeniable.

The stars are Kucherov, Panarin and Kaprizov... Retirement is still far away

If you thought about Malkin and Ovechkin, they are already no longer in the Russian top 6 in PPG

Either way, Michkov and Demidov will arrive

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So that would mean 3 more years minimum in the KHL? (I thought he still had 1 year remaining but could be mistaken)

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
So that would mean 3 more years minimum in the KHL? (I thought he still had 1 year remaining but could be mistaken)
He had (has?) 1 year left but it's not unusual in the KHL to terminate a contract and effectively replace it. It could conceivably be a situation where they terminate the contract for its last year and then turn around and immediately sign a 2 year deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peasy

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He had (has?) 1 year left but it's not unusual in the KHL to terminate a contract and effectively replace it. It could conceivably be a situation where they terminate the contract for it's last year and then turn around and immediately sign a 2 year deal.

Exactly, and for better money of course.

So I hope he'll come to NHL in 2026, and give us an epic battle vs Michkov for Calder.

Reactions: barriers

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Just wondering from those who have watched the KHL closely, how much of the jump in his offensive numbers is due to the style of play under Larionov?

Does Atanasov's game and skillset translate to the NHL pro game?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just wondering from those who have watched the KHL closely, how much of the jump in his offensive numbers is due to the style of play under Larionov?

Well, first, it's his first season with such numbers. So 2nd, it could be some kind of luck or like. And now 3rd, if he he repeats the numbers or scores even more points then we'll have more data for a deep analysis.

Preliminarily I can say the kid can skate, is a magician with the puck, and has great IQ. I think it should work ok in the NHL.

Reactions: slumpy43

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Hes on the smaller side, but very skilled, good puck skills, and is pretty relentless, not afraid to go to the dirty areas.

Reactions: slumpy43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad