F Vasili Atanasov - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2021 Undrafted)

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I know there's some question about the quality of the KHL recently, the war probably did chase some good players away. But if you look at his production for players u22 over the last number of years he's in some very strong company. Despite not being a big guy he plays a pretty complete game, good offensive abilities. I think if you're being conservative, he's got middle 6 upside because he's solid at both ends. I'd make a more bullish case that if he builds off this season and finds another level he's got legitimate star potential

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
He has a goal today in the first period of Torpedo's playoff match against SKA.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I know there's some question about the quality of the KHL recently
I think the overall quality of Russians born into the "KHL generation", call it post-2000 is much better than those born into the "post-Soviet, pre-KHL" generation, call it 1987-1999.

I obviously don't have some objective data or anything like that and it's one of those things where we will have to wait a long time to make a full assessment of that. I think the development is much better and it is showing effects into the KHL.

ETA: 2 goals for Atanasov now

Last edited:

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I think the overall quality of Russians born into the "KHL generation", call it post-2000 is much better than those born into the "post-Soviet, pre-KHL" generation, call it 1987-1999.

I obviously don't have some objective data or anything like that and it's one of those things where we will have to wait a long time to make a full assessment of that. I think the development is much better and it is showing effects into the KHL.

Wishful thinking. First of all it is a very strange range from 1987 to 1999, by what criteria did you select this ages? Those are very different generations

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Wishful thinking. First of all it is a very strange range from 1987 to 1999, by what criteria did you select this ages? Those are very different generations
Man you really hate Russian hockey players. I’m speaking from observation

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
1987 2,5 million newborns
1999-1,1 million newborns
Totally different

What does "pre-KHL" mean? What has happened after a Gazprom top manager announced a new name for the League?
I’ve explained to is to you multiple times. You are arguing in bad faith. “Wishful thinking” lol. How do you get off on hating teenage hockey players to such a large degree? Do you even root for a team or just hate watch Russian prospects?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Fun fact: fans call him Ananasov, and ananas means pineapple in Russian. So pineapple is his personal emblem. At least amongst fans.

Atanasov is actually a very popular Bulgarian last name so his ancestors are probably from Bulgaria.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I’ve explained to is to you multiple times. You are arguing in bad faith. “Wishful thinking” lol. How do you get off on hating teenage hockey players to such a large degree? Do you even root for a team or just hate watch Russian prospects?
Hating whom? I say that your claim makes no sense. 1987 and 1998 are very different from demographic and from socio economic stadpoint.

In fact, you can expect Russia to have strong late 00s early 2010s birth years. Why? Lots of newborns because the 1980s, most numerous generation in russian history started to make babies. Then, this effect fell off.

KHL changed nothing. In fact, it may have even hurt development, at least it played a role in demise if Lada, Metallurg Nk and Molot Perm, which all are hockey hotbeads.
MHL changed some stuff for the better, but its effect was already present with 1990s birth players

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

MHL is doing well for development system. Even in today environment there are more player who is drafting from MHL/KHL. Even Belorussian players are drafting now. System is working better.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
MHL is doing well for development system. Even in today environment there are more player who is drafting from MHL/KHL. Even Belorussian players are drafting now. System is working better.

Completely agree.

Money and funding.

The KHL/MHL is merely a bi-product of massive investments in the sport and its infrastructure at all levels. I mean just the number of rinks built in the last 5 years is a lot.

But on-ice results don't happen overnight. It's not like the KHL is formed then the country will automatically produce a top 3 pick every year. It takes time.
It's the kids born in the 2000s and onwards who will receive more and more of the benefits.

Number of players is up too.
# of U20 players in early 2010s = average 62,000
# of U20 players in late 2010-present = average 83,000

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Money and funding.

The KHL/MHL is merely a bi-product of massive investments in the sport and its infrastructure at all levels. I mean just the number of rinks built in the last 5 years is a lot.

But on-ice results don't happen overnight. It's not like the KHL is formed then the country will automatically produce a top 3 pick every year. It takes time.
It's the kids born in the 2000s and onwards who will receive more and more of the benefits.

Number of players is up too.
# of U20 players in early 2010s = average 62,000
# of U20 players in late 2010-present = average 83,000
More over top 3 pick level players (like Michkov) are specific athletes who is more talented physically and mentally. They cant be "born" every year. For Russian system its more tricky because overall system still not focusing on centers development. Its effecting on overall stocks. At least I'm happy for Yurov because I was thinking he could and should play center role with his skill set, iq and decision making. He was my top 5 pick and it looks like he us moving in the right direction.

Reactions: Zine and slumpy43

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Very debatable

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Russian Hockey is on the rise, that’s obvious. More and more depth, diversification of profile.

In the NHL of the 2030s, it will be the 3rd world power.

5 years ago, 37 Russians played in NHL, this season already 61 players.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4