F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Iggy's the best. In his prime he was a complete beast, I remember as a kid watching HNIC games on CBC and the commentators were always saying things like "Be careful!.. Don't wake him up...".

Then sure enough someone would prod him too much and he'd end the night with a fight and 4 points.

Reactions: Dominance

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
There's something in Canada called an RCA (retirement compensation agreement) which allows players to defer their tax obligations on up to 50% of what they are earning in a given year. Half goes into a refundable tax account and the other half goes into a self-directed account. The outcome of this is that they pay 50% of their tax obligation, per year, on half of their earnings - while the other 50% is held and invested in that self-directed account.

The reason I bring this up is the major caveat with the RCA: upon redemption, they need to break all their ties with Canada for a minimum of 18-24 months. They then pay a flat 25% tax on those self-directed, deferred-tax earnings (which have been growing, tax free, for x amount of years), and after that term are able to repatriate/repurchase their real estate/small businesses, etc. I know for a fact that Iginla still "owns" two lakefront properties nearby me in the Okanagan, but the title is held in his parent's names. I see him at my course quite a bit in the summer.

Anyway, the baseline assumptions in an RCA point right to why he'd settle in Boston.

Alan Walsh went into detail on this on Chiclets a while back:

Savvy tax planning man - big boon for the wealthy. The napkin math on this is outrageous and I can run it in a bit, but it's a truly enormous cost savings over the course of his career - many sheets worth.

As others have said... very cool. It would be nice to need something like this someday!

Also... in addition to the tax advantages (and back on topic), as a Canadian living in Boston, there are lots of advantages and in his case, not the least of which would be for his son. The youth hockey scene here is INTENSE and would be a great launchpad for Tij...

Not to mention if I were a retired NHL Dad, I'd probably be pretty positive on getting my kid to consider the longer-percolating college route so that they get an education and have a bit longer development time. No better place to do that (and get recruited/scouted for scholarships) than in New England.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Playing for Rink Hockey Academy in Kelowna CSSHL U18 league. Not sure how up to date it is but eliteprospects has him at 6g 5a for 11pts in 10 gp. Still behind a few others on his team for ppg

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Playing for Rink Hockey Academy in Kelowna CSSHL U18 league. Not sure how up to date it is but eliteprospects has him at 6g 5a for 11pts in 10 gp. Still behind a few others on his team for ppg
Should go fairly high in the WHL draft tomorrow

Reactions: Stive Morgan

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The Rink academy website has him at 18 pts in 13 games.

Reactions: wings5

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Scored an assist in his first ever game
and now in his 5th game, his first WHL/CHL goal, congrats!.

1665814706904.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a good skater and has some puck skills, but I don't really see a high level prospect right now. He'll be a pick. Probably a mid round guy, as of now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad