F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A hockey equivalent to Bronny James would be a 7th round pick at best.
Bronny James isn't that bad. I feel the hate he gets is way over the top.

He was probably a little overrated because of who his father is, but he's a legitimate NBA prospect. Doesn't mean he's one and done. The circus his father brings and the potential that he'll be drafted earlier than he should due to his father is real, but if his name was Brian Jones, the consensus would be that he had a tough opening to the season with a health issue, that set him back, he had a mediocre freshman season, but if he works hard in the offseason he can come back and be a late first or early second round pick next year. And then there's obviously two more years after that.

I actually don't see how thats any different than what Tij Iginla was coming into this season. Tij had that big season you hope to see from Bronny next season. If Bronny has that type of season, which he's capable of, the discussion will go back to he's a little overrated because of who his father is as opposed to he's a complete nepotism case.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m not looking at only scoring. We’re talking about a guy who potentially is top 10 and we’re saying he couldn’t play enough to have big boy stats on a junior hockey team. Seems a little ridiculous to me.

Also, my opinion is he’s a goal scorer who projects as middle six. Good skater, skills, and shot. Size and compete isn’t bad. Sense and playmaking a little questionable, and for a guy who doesn’t have elite scoring skills it might be the eventual difference between second line or third line.

Guys who didn’t have “big boy stats” in the WHL

IMG_5953.jpeg
IMG_5952.jpeg
IMG_5950.jpeg
IMG_5951.jpeg
IMG_5949.jpeg
IMG_5947.jpeg

Reactions: majormajor

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What's your point? You found a few players who had NHL careers from the WHL and were first round picks that he had better stats then.

At least half of those players were not worth top 10 picks in their drafts. No one claimed Iginla won't play in the NHL. Whether he's worthy of a top 10 pick with the season he had is very much up for debate, and the lack of having a big statistical season is part of that.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
If he were a C, where would he go? Probably in the conversation for at least top 5, no?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
If he were a C, where would he go? Probably in the conversation for at least top 5, no?
Don’t think it affects his ranking that much to be honest. The players in front of him are either just better (Celebrini, Demidov..) or more toolsy. He’s a good prospect. I don’t see him getting past Calgary.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I like the player. 2nd line wing who can score 30 some years. That profile doesn’t sniff the top 10 tho

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
The rise is steep I dont see much doubt he will translate to a good to great nhler. For sure a good pick once in the 6-10 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad