F Tij Iginla - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2024 NHL Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Remember when Jack Quinn went over Marco Rossi even though he had 30 less points on the same team and everyone lost their minds?

That could very well happen with Iginla and Catton, despite Catton having 30 more points right now.

Not saying the players are perfectly comparable by any means, but scouts don't put as much faith in production as people on this site compared to projectability, tools, development curve, etc...
What is Iginla better at other than being related to a former NHL’er?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Tij doesn't go top 6 - top 10... then all of those scouts, gm's are dumb

this is his 53rd goal and 90th point of the season (reg+po combined)
And Parascak has 111 combined points in the same league. Does that mean he should be taken above Iginla, or all the scouts and GM's are dumb?

Reactions: wetcoast

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
And Parascak has 111 combined points in the same league. Does that mean he should be taken above Iginla, or all the scouts and GM's are dumb?
I know where you are going for with this and what your point but
as good as player i think Paracek is, Iginla is more versatile,
physical, more all around forward what Paracek is.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What is Iginla better at other than being related to a former NHL’er?

Scoring ability and size/strength. His development curve and rate of improvement is very steep and scouts care about that quite a bit, as they should.

Personally I wouldn't take Iginla over Catton, but the gap between them is less than people think looking at their point totals, and it's entirely possible Iginla goes higher on draft day.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Scoring ability and size/strength. His development curve and rate of improvement is very steep and scouts care about that quite a bit, as they should.

Personally I wouldn't take Iginla over Catton, but the gap between them is less than people think looking at their point totals, and it's entirely possible Iginla goes higher on draft day.
I'm a Flames fan but if we get to pick between Iginla and Catton, I'm taking Catton all day.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Had less goals, so that doesn’t even square up.

He’s listed at 1 inch taller by EP, which I guess is a slight advantage.

This guy has all the Alex Nylander warning signs. Buyer beware. Wouldn’t consider him in the top 10.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

This guy has all the Alex Nylander warning signs. Buyer beware. Wouldn’t consider him in the top 10.

Iginla has played on Kelowna's 2nd line and on the 2nd PP for most of the year, while Catton has been playing massive minutes for Spokane, so it's not a surprise Catton's goal total is higher.

It's quite impressive the numbers Iginla has been able to put up playing the role he has. For some reason the Rockets coach likes to have 20YR old Szturc paired up with Cristall at even strength and with the man advantage, even though Iginla is better and more suited to playing in the shooter's spot on the PP. Had he been in that role all season he'd have significantly higher goal and point totals, no question.

He doesn't play like Nylander at all. There aren't any skating concerns with Iginla, nor concerns about effort level, willingness to handle physical play, etc... that's just a bad comparison.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Iginla has played on Kelowna's 2nd line and on the 2nd PP for most of the year, while Catton has been playing massive minutes for Spokane, so it's not a surprise Catton's goal total is higher.

It's quite impressive the numbers Iginla has been able to put up playing the role he has. For some reason the Rockets coach likes to have 20YR old Szturc paired up with Cristall at even strength and with the man advantage, even though Iginla is better and more suited to playing in the shooter's spot on the PP. Had he been in that role all season he'd have significantly higher goal and point totals, no question.

He doesn't play like Nylander at all. There aren't any skating concerns with Iginla, nor concerns about effort level, willingness to handle physical play, etc... that's just a bad comparison.
I am not comparing his game to Alex Nylander. I’m saying he doesn’t have the profile of a top 10 pick, and some will elevate him there because they were too attached to his father’s career. Jarome Iginla was good before my time, so I don’t have that type of attachment. I consider him for what I believe he is, which is a top 15-20 selection, not a top 10 selection.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I am not comparing his game to Alex Nylander. I’m saying he doesn’t have the profile of a top 10 pick, and some will elevate him there because they were too attached to his father’s career. Jarome Iginla was good before my time, so I don’t have that type of attachment. I consider him for what I believe he is, which is a top 15-20 selection, not a top 10 selection.

47 goals and 84 points in 64 games as a 17YR old without top PP time and playing with inferior linemates is excellent production and would be deserving of a top 10 pick in most drafts.

Not that scouts tend to put a ton of weight towards stats anyways. His projectability and steep development curve is what will probably make him a top 10 pick. Just keeps getting better and better and those types of prospects are most often the ones that turn into positive surprises.

Also you may not like it but I'm sure NHL teams will absolutely put some value on Tij's last name being Iginla. Kid is getting coaching and tips after every game by a HOFer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
47 goals and 84 points in 64 games as a 17YR old without top PP time and playing with inferior linemates is excellent production and would be deserving of a top 10 pick in most drafts.

Not that scouts tend to put a ton of weight towards stats anyways. His projectability and steep development curve is what will probably make him a top 10 pick. Just keeps getting better and better and those types of prospects are most often the ones that turn into positive surprises.

Also you may not like it but I'm sure NHL teams will absolutely put some value on Tij's last name being Iginla. Kid is getting coaching and tips after every game by a HOFer.
Statistically, that’s not top 10 for this draft. That’s not even top 3 for the WHL.

Maybe he’ll go top 10 and it’ll be justified in the way you say, but people find spurious justification for anything. I think the Jarome angle is what carries this more than people want to admit.

gothegr8

Jul 7, 2012

Catton played around 25 mins per game, it's been around 16 for Iginla. The /60 scoring would tell a whole different story.

I personally take Iginla over Catton, but i also understand why so many people prefer Catton.

Iginla has the pro habits that are gonna translate so well in the NHL. His shooting and scoring instincts are very high end, better than Catton's for me. I'm still impressed to see how much puck skills Iginla has now, i wouldn't have bet on that just one year ago. He's now dangerous 1 on 1, creative and also uses his body so well to protect the puck while attempting dekes and moves around the opponents. He's just so good at using his body to initiate contacts to gain the edge and protect or steal pucks along the boards to bring the play back to the middle of the ice. The little details that matters at the pro level against bigger and faster guys. Also, i think Iginla's playmaking is a bit underated, he doesn't spam it like Catton does but he connects on the plays at a very high rate, i feel his play selection overall is better when it comes to feed the puck. But he's not as flashy, so maybe that's why that part is that underated. I'm not taking anything away from Catton's playmaking abilities, i'm just saying Iginla is very underated at that.

I can't believe how much he progressed in one year, his development curve is truly the most impressive of this whole draft class, one of the best in recent years too. I'd run to the stage to pick that kid in a heartbeat and know he's gonna be a winner for my team someday. He's not Ryan Leonard, but i see similarities between them when it comes to their impact on the game, it simply goes way beyond the numbers and you have to see it to understand it fully.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Statistically, that’s not top 10 for this draft. That’s not even top 3 for the WHL.

Maybe he’ll go top 10 and it’ll be justified in the way you say, but people find spurious justification for anything. I think the Jarome angle is what carries this more than people want to admit.

Again, you're not considering role in this.

It's not difficult to rack up easy points playing on the top PP unit, and if you're playing almost 10 minutes more a night like Catton did that's going to obviously increase point totals as well.

I'm very impressed by Catton and think he could be a big point producer at the NHL level, but looking strictly at point totals is misleading and doesn't mean he's been significantly better or more efficient.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Again, you're not considering role in this.

It's not difficult to rack up easy points playing on the top PP unit, and if you're playing almost 10 minutes more a night like Catton did that's going to obviously increase point totals as well.

I'm very impressed by Catton and think he could be a big point producer at the NHL level, but looking strictly at point totals is misleading and doesn't mean he's been significantly better or more efficient.
I’m not looking at only scoring. We’re talking about a guy who potentially is top 10 and we’re saying he couldn’t play enough to have big boy stats on a junior hockey team. Seems a little ridiculous to me.

Also, my opinion is he’s a goal scorer who projects as middle six. Good skater, skills, and shot. Size and compete isn’t bad. Sense and playmaking a little questionable, and for a guy who doesn’t have elite scoring skills it might be the eventual difference between second line or third line.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
As someone who lives in the Okanagan and sees him regularly. He should easily be in contention for #3. Reminds me of Matt Tkachuk in his draft year. Skill is blatantly obvious.
Ya he’s had a big 2nd half and has embarrassed Wenatchee. People who haven’t watched him and are just stat watching don’t know what they’re missing. There probably a nepotism bias as well because of the last name.

Probably can’t go wrong between Catton and Iginla, but anyone saying Catton is blatantly better just don’t know what they’re talking about. Catton is smaller, but sick and can dance with great vision and even gets his nose dirty at times. Iginla is just a beast. Sturdy, super shifty, great shot.

It just looks like a Tkachuk brothers scenario where teams weren’t 100% on them and they slide out of the top 5, but are all kicking themselves now.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Catton played around 25 mins per game, it's been around 16 for Iginla. The /60 scoring would tell a whole different story.

I personally take Iginla over Catton, but i also understand why so many people prefer Catton.

Iginla has the pro habits that are gonna translate so well in the NHL. His shooting and scoring instincts are very high end, better than Catton's for me. I'm still impressed to see how much puck skills Iginla has now, i wouldn't have bet on that just one year ago. He's now dangerous 1 on 1, creative and also uses his body so well to protect the puck while attempting dekes and moves around the opponents. He's just so good at using his body to initiate contacts to gain the edge and protect or steal pucks along the boards to bring the play back to the middle of the ice. The little details that matters at the pro level against bigger and faster guys. Also, i think Iginla's playmaking is a bit underated, he doesn't spam it like Catton does but he connects on the plays at a very high rate, i feel his play selection overall is better when it comes to feed the puck. But he's not as flashy, so maybe that's why that part is that underated. I'm not taking anything away from Catton's playmaking abilities, i'm just saying Iginla is very underated at that.

I can't believe how much he progressed in one year, his development curve is truly the most impressive of this whole draft class, one of the best in recent years too. I'd run to the stage to pick that kid in a heartbeat and know he's gonna be a winner for my team someday. He's not Ryan Leonard, but i see similarities between them when it comes to their impact on the game, it simply goes way beyond the numbers and you have to see it to understand it fully.
Well said. You should post more 🙂

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
apparently habs have met with him 4X.
Will be interesting to see how it play outs on draft day around the 5-6-7 picks

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad