F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

1 goal tonight it seems. But apart from one 4 point game against a last place team, he hasn't seem to be able to continuously rack up points yet.

I imagine he'll breakout soon but why isn't he dominating offensively?

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

1 goal tonight it seems. But apart from one 4 point game against a last place team, he hasn't seem to be able to continuously rack up points yet.

I imagine he'll breakout soon but why isn't he dominating offensively?

Both his linemates were out tonight. Hell, he's missed his main winger for the entire season. He uses his teammates too much at this level where they don't anticipate elite level passes. And his defence can't get him the puck...Hopefully all this will change in the new year with his winger coming back and the trade deadline bringing some puck moving Dmen.

CapsFans

Oct 28, 2021
I have seen Wright and Savoie both play a decent amount of times this year. Imo Savoie has him beat in skating, hands, playmaking and just overall is more skilled and dynamic. Wright does have the better shot. Anyways I don't think it's crazy to have Savoie ahead of Wright, there was time when they were both applying for exceptional status and most people thought Savoie was the better play at that time, but since Wright had that crazy good rookie year and Savoie had only 7 points in 22 games people have put Wright way above Savoie, but I think Wright was just more physically mature for the higher competition and now since Savoie has gotten stronger and older we are seeing him compete against Wright for the best 04 in the world.

CapsFans

Oct 28, 2021
I have seen Wright and Savoie both play a decent amount of times this year. Imo Savoie has him beat in skating, hands, playmaking and just overall is more skilled and dynamic. Wright does have the better shot. Anyways I don't think it's crazy to have Savoie ahead of Wright, there was time when they were both applying for exceptional status and most people thought Savoie was the better play at that time, but since Wright had that crazy good rookie year and Savoie had only 7 points in 22 games people have put Wright way above Savoie, but I think Wright was just more physically mature for the higher competition and now since Savoie has gotten stronger and older we are seeing him compete against Wright for the best 04 in the world.

Wagon Hockey for example had Savoie as the best u17 prospect two years ago.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
How much better is Shane Wright than the level he’s playing at right now?

Having a 70 point OHL season isn’t 1st OA calibre.

I’d like to see him start picking up his play.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
How much better is Shane Wright than the level he’s playing at right now?

Having a 70 point OHL season isn’t 1st OA calibre.

I’d like to see him start picking up his play.

You and me both. It's still so early. I can see him go to the WJC, where he will outperform Mathew Savoie and come back and finish the 2nd half of the season strong to cement his 1st overall pick position. If not, then it's Savoie taking over a la Hischier over Patrick.

I still like Wright the most as a prospect of this draft. I think it doesn't discount everything he did in the past. He was impressive at the U18s and in his rookie season. He's exactly what Montreal needs in a #1-2 center with Suzuki.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Well Alexis Lafreniere tore apart the Q and is struggling in the NHL so far so projections aren't always cut and dry.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seems like every year consensus 1OA get picked apart by fans.
It's still relatively early, and he can have a strong WJC, U-18 and a hot second half of the season. But, compared to most 1st overall picks his production isn't there. It's more in line with someone like Monahan. And obviously, if a player is labelled as a high-end 1st overall pick like Wright was entering the year, your game is going to be under microscope. I don't think Power really got torn apart because most people didn't have crazy high expectations for him. Whereas guys like Matthews, Dahlin, Eichel, McDavid, Jack Hughes and Lafreniere entered with immense hype.

Well Alexis Lafreniere tore apart the Q and is struggling in the NHL so far so projections aren't always cut and dry.
We all know guys who destroy junior don't always destroy the NHL. But, the real question here is the inverse which is how many highly hyped 17-year-olds who don't destroy the CHL become impact NHLers. Obviously, there are a ton of late blooming picks outside the top 10 like Brad Marchand, Mark Stone, etc.

Reactions: wetcoast

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It's still relatively early, and he can have a strong WJC, U-18 and a hot second half of the season. But, compared to most 1st overall picks his production isn't there. It's more in line with someone like Monahan. And obviously, if a player is labelled as a high-end 1st overall pick like Wright was entering the year, your game is going to be under microscope. I don't think Power really got torn apart because most people didn't have crazy high expectations for him. Whereas guys like Matthews, Dahlin, Eichel, McDavid, Jack Hughes and Lafreniere entered with immense hype.

We all know guys who destroy junior don't always destroy the NHL. But, the real question here is the inverse which is how many highly hyped 17-year-olds who don't destroy the CHL become impact NHLers. Obviously, there are a ton of late blooming picks outside the top 10 like Brad Marchand, Mark Stone, etc.

Yeah Wright sounds similar to Bergeron for sure who had 73pts in 70 gp in his draft year. Two way play is nice but I think people would like to see a focus and explosion on offense in junior given that we already know Wright is fine defensively.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I will say this -- if there's one organization that can derail a player from reaching his potential, it's the Kingston Frontenacs. 100% believe that Wright would be tearing the league a new one if he was playing for London with their development.

Bennett, Crouse, Gudbranson, both Stewart brothers, Gratton, Kilger, etc. Kingston's got a long history of churning out guys who were supposed to be elite players at the NHL level and turning them into serviceable, at best, types.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
He lost a year of development.
Imagine McDavid having lived through the pandemic - you'd really think he would be what he is now? Possible, but chances are he wouldn't be as good.
This is what you get when you don't let the kids play and develop. This affected all of them. We will be seeing a generation of hockey players who could've been more than they will present us. Deal with it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He lost a year of development.
Imagine McDavid having lived through the pandemic - you'd really think he would be what he is now? Possible, but chances are he wouldn't be as good.
This is what you get when you don't let the kids play and develop. This affected all of them. We will be seeing a generation of hockey players who could've been more than they will present us. Deal with it.
That's gonna impact kids more who are in younger stages of development and couldn't find ice. Wright spent a significant amount of time at the Canadian WJC camp competition against many of the best players between 17-20, and then the U-18 camp and the U-18 tournament. Most of the kids he's playing against in the OHL had less chances than that.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
He didn't???
He was already much more developed, especially at a younger age. It's a big difference if you lose a year of development when you are let's say 14 or 16, then when you are 22 years old.
Why do you think people have a harder time learning a language when they are older?

or another concept, the concept of time and experience: When you are younger, you absorb much more things in a shorter time span. Also, time itself was felt differently, things were passing a lot slower. A couple months could feel like an eternity at a young age. When you are old, like 60 or something, it passes much quicker. "What, already winter again?"

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
That's gonna impact kids more who are in younger stages of development and couldn't find ice. Wright spent a significant amount of time at the Canadian WJC camp competition against many of the best players between 17-20, and then the U-18 camp and the U-18 tournament. Most of the kids he's playing against in the OHL had less chances than that.
He couldn't play as much as he would have, wasn't that the case? There were lockdowns, he couldn't skate every day like he normally would've done, at least under regular circumstances. It definitely affected him. How much i don't know to be honest, but i can't imagine the pandemic not affecting him at all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He couldn't play as much as he would have, wasn't that the case? There were lockdowns, he couldn't skate every day like he normally would've done, at least under regular circumstances. It definitely affected him. How much i don't know to be honest, but i can't imagine the pandemic not affecting him at all.
But, he's playing against kids who were just as impacted if not more so. This might be relevant if he was playing in a league where most of the players played a full season last year, but he isn't. Most OHL kids don't get the royal Hockey Canada treatment during the pandemic.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
The truth is though, that even if he plays great it wouldn't necessarily mean he plays up to his pre-pandemic potential, because you can only compare him to the rest of his peers, who were also affected by the pandemic.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

The pandemic affected all players of junior age in the Ontario Hockey League. not just one player. In fact like mentioned above, he had more development opportunities than most if not all of his peers in the OHL, so it shouldn't be affecting him more than anyone he is playing against, it should be affecting him less. Tucker Roberston experienced the same circumstances and had no HC opportunities, just saying.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The truth is though, that even if he plays great it wouldn't necessarily mean he plays up to his pre-pandemic potential, because you can only compare him to the rest of his peers, who were also affected by the pandemic.
Except we are mostly monitoring what he is doing against OHL competition, most who had less advantages than him. If he was dominating the OHL this wouldn't be a major discussion point.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Except we are mostly monitoring what he is doing against OHL competition, most who had less advantages than him. If he was dominating the OHL this wouldn't be a major discussion point.
Some are affected more than others. It's really tough to judge this correctly. It's mostly speculation. Nonetheless there has been a negative impact on a young hockey player's development, there's no doubt in my mind.

It's also about competition. If he played against his peers who were even more affected by the pandemic, as you stated, than this in turn affects him negatively because there was lesser, weaker competition.

Last edited:

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Seems like every year consensus 1OA get picked apart by fans.

And haven’t they been right to in recent memory? Hischier and Patrick are nothing special, Hughes has started off slow and even more so with Lafreniere. The concerns people raised were legitimate.

No matter which way you slice it Wright has been disappointing so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad