F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Fixed this for you. He was all these things but his injury history has caught up with him. He's lost more than a couple steps now.
Guys like Hintz, Gurianov and Heiskanen are also way faster than Seguin ever was.

Torlev

Nov 8, 2021
Wright isn't putting up the points I thought he would. Something up?

edit - never mind, I hadn't checked in a few games. He seems to be warming up, to say the least.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Fixed this for you. He was all these things but his injury history has caught up with him. He's lost more than a couple steps now.

I think all those late nights and drinks might have a lot to do with it

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Another underwhelming showing by Wright, meanwhile Jiricek and Yurov are shining on the old continent...

Wright's skating needs to improve, thats average level by junior standarts, Chromiak is looking like Pavel Bure beside him.

Last edited:

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Watched the second and most of the third and I wasn’t particularly impressed.

I get some Lafreniere vibes with him. Someone who dominates at a younger age due to a variety of factors but might be limited as a pro. Don’t get me wrong I think he will be a solid player but I don’t think he will be the dominant Center people think he will be.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
People are just looking to throw their hot takes out there. It’s easy to nitpick a player that’s been playing at an elite level for years. They rarely will receive more credit at this point. He’s going first and deserves to, barring a season where he’s not above 1PPG.

While I do agree I also wonder if a team might consider Savoie but there is alot of time between now and the draft.

WetWholphin

Sep 4, 2021
https://hfboards.mandatory.com
Elite 2C? Hischier?
as somebody who has watched hischier play since his rookie year, i would not say that he is a good comp to wright. wright is much more of an offensive threat + to go along with his offensive awareness and playmaking ability he is a nice shooting threat as well. hischier is not a shooting threat whatsoever and while they may be comparable in the sense that they play a two way game, i would say that wright has a higher ceiling. hischier is yet to reach a high end 2c in terms of offensive production.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
as somebody who has watched hischier play since his rookie year, i would not say that he is a good comp to wright. wright is much more of an offensive threat + to go along with his offensive awareness and playmaking ability he is a nice shooting threat as well. hischier is not a shooting threat whatsoever and while they may be comparable in the sense that they play a two way game, i would say that wright has a higher ceiling. hischier is yet to reach a high end 2c in terms of offensive production.

I meant more in that high pick range but not offensive enough to be a 1C...but your point(s) are valid :)

WetWholphin

Sep 4, 2021
https://hfboards.mandatory.com
I meant more in that high pick range but not offensive enough to be a 1C...but your point(s) are valid :)

i absolutely think wright will be a 1c. just because he is starting the year slower than we expected doesnt mean the projection should drastically change. i will admit that i am not watching wright a whole lot, but from what ive seen of what he has shown over the past few years, he absolutely has the IQ and offensive ability to be a 1c.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't know why people keep saying the bolded. Wright's shown at every level he's played at that he absolutely has the potential to be a 1C, and a high-end 1C at that.

He had almost 40 goals as a 15/16 year old on a bad Kingston team.

He absolutely lit up the U-18s.

And even with his "slow start", he's still well above a point per game and is about 12th in overall league scoring. So it's not even like he's not producing at all.

Will he be on the Crosby/McDavid tier? Likely not. But he's given no indications for anyone to believe he can't be in a similar tier to the next tier down from that.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't know why people keep saying the bolded. Wright's shown at every level he's played at that he absolutely has the potential to be a 1C, and a high-end 1C at that.

He had almost 40 goals as a 15/16 year old on a bad Kingston team.

He absolutely lit up the U-18s.

And even with his "slow start", he's still well above a point per game and is about 12th in overall league scoring. So it's not even like he's not producing at all.

Will he be on the Crosby/McDavid tier? Likely not. But he's given no indications for anyone to believe he can't be in a similar tier to the next tier down from that.

Not improving statistically over what he as done as a 15/16 years old should at least make you raise an eyebrow.

I can't say I a have an opinion on him either way as I don't really watch junior hockey, but statistically speaking, it reminds me of Nolan Patrick. I understand Wright was a much bigger contributor, relatively speaking, than Patrick at the same age, but what bothers me is how he's trending.

We'll see how the season unfolds, but if he maintains that sort of PPG through the year, I don't know why you shouldn't question his status as the definitive 1st overall. His 15 years old season should be irrelevant at this point.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not improving statistically over what he as done as a 15/16 years old should at least make you raise an eyebrow.

I can't say I a have an opinion on him either way as I don't really watch junior hockey, but statistically speaking, it reminds me of Nolan Patrick. I understand Wright was a much bigger contributor, relatively speaking, than Patrick at the same age, but what bothers me is how he's trending.

We'll see how the season unfolds, but if he maintains that sort of PPG through the year, I don't know why you shouldn't question his status as the definitive 1st overall. His 15 years old season should be irrelevant at this point.

He's off to a slower goal scoring pace, but his production has improved. So I'm not sure why you think his production hasn't improved unless you think the only thing he brings to the table is goal scoring. He scored at a 1.14 points per game pace in his rookie year, and even with his slow start he's producing at a 1.29 points per game clip.

Connor Bedard's only got 12 points in 16 games this season. Are there question marks about his upside? Or is it just a slow start and he's got the ability to turn it around?

As I said prior, if the expectation is Wright is going to put up Crosby/McDavid numbers, then yes you'll be disappointed. But you're also putting your own expectations on what Wright is, in that case. But Wright's got all the tools to be a franchise 1C who has a strong all-around game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad