F Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
The pandemic affected all players of junior age in the Ontario Hockey League. not just one player. In fact like mentioned above, he had more development opportunities than most if not all of his peers in the OHL, so it shouldn't be affecting him more than anyone he is playing against, it should be affecting him less. Tucker Roberston experienced the same circumstances and had no HC opportunities, just saying.

Exactly. And for those that argue Robertson is older — he is only six months older. I’m far more impressed by Robertson than Wright.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
The pandemic affected all players of junior age in the Ontario Hockey League. not just one player. In fact like mentioned above, he had more development opportunities than most if not all of his peers in the OHL, so it shouldn't be affecting him more than anyone he is playing against, it should be affecting him less. Tucker Roberston experienced the same circumstances and had no HC opportunities, just saying.
How could he have more development opportunities than others, when said others were affected by the pandemic more than him. Or is hockey now played singular, without competition? If his peers couldn't develop as he did, than he wasn't challenged as much as possible by his peers, which is an important development factor.

A more extreme example: If your colleagues and opponents in a beer league stopped practicing for a year, and instead got fat and did nothing, while you were practicing and working out, wouldn't you say you are limited not only by the worsened play from your fellow teammates, but also by the weaker opposing players?

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
How could he have more development opportunities than others, when said others were affected by the pandemic more than him. Or is hockey now played singular, without competition? If his peers couldn't develop as he did, than he wasn't challenged as much as possible by his peers, which is an important development factor.

A more extreme example: If your colleagues and opponents in a beer league stopped practicing for a year, and instead got fat and did nothing, while you were practicing and working out, wouldn't you say you are limited not only by the worsened play from your fellow teammates, but also by the weaker opposing players?

Except Shane Wright went to World Junior camp and U18 camp, along with the U18 tournament. Compared to a guy like Tucker Robertson, that's an enviable amount of opportunity -- time on ice, top level coaching. Sure, there are guys that played in the USHL or went to Europe (ex: Brandt Clarke, Mason McTavish) but there are a lot of guys that didn't have the opportunity to practice and play at the level that Shane Wright did. And I don't think you can suggest that the WJC and U18 talent is weaker opposing players.

Reactions: OSA

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Except Shane Wright went to World Junior camp and U18 camp, along with the U18 tournament. Compared to a guy like Tucker Robertson, that's an enviable amount of opportunity -- time on ice, top level coaching. Sure, there are guys that played in the USHL or went to Europe (ex: Brandt Clarke, Mason McTavish) but there are a lot of guys that didn't have the opportunity to practice and play at the level that Shane Wright did. And I don't think you can suggest that the WJC and U18 talent is weaker opposing players.
Sure, we can nitpick here. Thanks for your information, some of it i didn't know. However, not accepting the negative effects of the pandemic ever since it started in 2020 is just being far too ignorant, for my taste.
Again, all over the world, lockdowns have surfaced, and young hockey players can't play, practice, skate.

Imagine a little McDavid somewhere in Canada, another potential, so called generational, talent at the age of 4 , ready to hit the ice for the first time, and then whoops, another lockdown.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
It's not nitpicking. You're suggesting that Shane Wright was impacted more than others. How was he more impacted than Tucker Robertson? No one is ignoring the negative effects. We're talking relative comparison here. This is a Shane Wright thread.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
It's not nitpicking. You're suggesting that Shane Wright was impacted more than others. How was he more impacted than Tucker Robertson? No one is ignoring the negative effects. We're talking relative comparison here. This is a Shane Wright thread.
I'm not saying he was more impacted than others. I said it could have affected him more than others (maybe someone like Lafreniere too)
I think it's pretty clear i included each and every hockey player in my arguments, others even more so than him, because as you said rightfully so, at least he had better circumstances. However, he as a hockey player doesn't live on an island, and as i have posted multiple times now, is not excluded from his peers/competition.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I am sure that Shane was negatively affected by the COVID pandemic like players all over the world. The point is that compared to his peers in the OHL, he was afforded more development opportunities during the pandemic than most other OHL players (due to his Hockey Canada participation).

Using COVID as an excuse for his relatively slower start doesn't hold water because who he is playing with and against were all in the same boat. Now, if he was to all of a sudden to be playing in the WHL, Q or USHL and he was off to slow start, you could say that his lack of playing time last year hurt him compared to who he was playing against because those leagues and players did play last year, but that's not the case.

I thinking I am explaining myself but maybe not .

To be clear Wright has a bright future regardless of a slow start.

Reactions: Garyboy and 93LEAFS

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Wisdom is back practicing with the Fronts. There should be no more excuses going forward once he joins Wright's line in the coming days.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It can be something mental. Like, after great WJC U18 he thought his next OHL season would be a cakewalk. And when it happened to be much more complicated, he just lost confidence. The same is true about Bedard.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Another miserable showing from Wright. No way he goes 1st OV if he keeps playing that bad. Im not even sure he cracks TCJ, he is showing no improvement at all.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
It just gets more disappointing each game clicking on this thread.

After that invincible U-18, expected extreme dominance this season. But that player must've been an aberration to his current version.

Does he even make the World Junior team?

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
It can be something mental. Like, after great WJC U18 he thought his next OHL season would be a cakewalk. And when it happened to be much more complicated, he just lost confidence. The same is true about Bedard.

The same isn’t true of Bedard. His numbers aren’t where people expected them to be, but he’s still the most dangerous player on the ice most nights I’ve watched. On the other hand, Wright isn’t even playing like the best player on his own team.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The same isn’t true of Bedard. His numbers aren’t where people expected them to be, but he’s still the most dangerous player on the ice most nights I’ve watched. On the other hand, Wright isn’t even playing like the best player on his own team.

NM him, the only reasons he tries to downplay Bedard is that he wants to promote another player.

And you are right he is creating chances, Wright just isn't looking like a surefire #1 overall so far this season but I think it's a serious of unrelated events and he will show scouts how good he is at some point this season and/or internationally as his skillset hasn't changed.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
NM him, the only reasons he tries to downplay Bedard is that he wants to promote another player.

And you are right he is creating chances, Wright just isn't looking like a surefire #1 overall so far this season but I think it's a serious of unrelated events and he will show scouts how good he is at some point this season and/or internationally as his skillset hasn't changed.

Lol, I don't need to downplay Bedard, he himself does it way better, than anybody else. The same about promoting Michkov...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

The same pretty much can be true about Bedard, because it looks like he shoots like a blind machine gunner. For a player with elite shot his current SOG/goals statistics isn't great.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The same pretty much can be true about Bedard, because it looks like he shoots like a blind machine gunner. For a player with elite shot his current SOG/goals statistics isn't great.

Lol, I don't need to downplay Bedard, he himself does it way better, than anybody else. The same about promoting Michkov...

So which one is it?

The one were is downplaying himself, or the one were he is still creating tons of chances?

Chances are that you are going to be very disappointed in June 2023.

Also I still think Wright goes 1 or 2 in the draft and it's still more likely he goes #1 IMO.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So which one is it?

The one were is downplaying himself, or the one were he is still creating tons of chances?

Chances are that you are going to be very disappointed in June 2023.

Also I still think Wright goes 1 or 2 in the draft and it's still more likely he goes #1 IMO.

The only thing that disappoints me about 2023, some NHL team will pick Michkov for sure. It will be much better for him to go undrafted...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I was at the Bulldogs vs Kingston game tonight, first time seeing him live in person. Two goals and an assist should leave you thinking he’s a great player, yet it still didn’t give the impression that I’d just watched a kid who was bound for NHL greatness. Better than his peers, but not great at anything in particular. Really nice edge work though, good on the PP.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I was at the Bulldogs vs Kingston game tonight, first time seeing him live in person. Two goals and an assist should leave you thinking he’s a great player, yet it still didn’t give the impression that I’d just watched a kid who was bound for NHL greatness. Better than his peers, but not great at anything in particular. Really nice edge work though, good on the PP.

The release and accuracy on his second goal was pretty ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad