F Pierre-Luc Dubois - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
would it be fair to say that his NHL comparison is Joe pavelski ???

Not really, Pavs is shorter and much less explosive. Pavs dominates by being extremely smart, calm, and having an extremely good shot.

Dubois is a guy whose game revolves around using his size, speed, and shot. They are both very skilled though.

I see a lot of comparisons to Benn and, while he isn't quite as talented, the combination of size, skating, and skill probably make Benn his closest comparable.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not really, Pavs is shorter and much less explosive. Pavs dominates by being extremely smart, calm, and having an extremely good shot.

Dubois is a guy whose game revolves around using his size, speed, and shot. They are both very skilled though.

I see a lot of comparisons to Benn and, while he isn't quite as talented, the combination of size, skating, and skill probably make Benn his closest comparable.

If Benn displayed the talents he currently has, he certainly wouldn't have been a 5th rder. I wouldn't close the book on Dubois reaching that level, but obviously a lot of things would have to go right and it isn't a realistic expectation. That said, after watching the clip posted on the previous page and listening to the scouts/coach's comments on it, he sounds like his work ethic is unparalleled in this draft class. I wouldn't place any limitation on him.

Benn or Hossa sound like pretty good comparables. Maybe Patrice Bergeron as another comparable.

I hope we draft him, because it sounds like his off ice persona is very similar to McDavid - not concerned with social life and focused on getting stronger and better. That's the identity shift I want to see continue, Hall and Ebs can pack their bags.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
I have only watched highlights of Dubois this season so I would like to know how big is the gap between him and Pulju? And in what aspects is Pulju better and in what aspects is Dubois better in your opinion of course. To me it seems that Pulju is rawer prospect than Dubois at this point.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Unless Subban or a Dman in that range or very slightly below that is coming back, Chia will likely keep the pick and draft Dubois.

He's 6'3 and a kid with his skill set is exactly what Chia wants going forward. Add in lottery protected, value is even higher.

Oilers probably keep the pick and draft Dubois, he's built nicely for the Pacific.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't see oilers moving the pick at all.

That said hard to see where he is going.

It looks like fan base oiler and Canucks fans think he is better.

Scouting lists tell another story with like 80% having tkatchuk higher, including the mckenzies list.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Scouting lists tell another story with like 80% having tkatchuk higher, including the mckenzies list.

If the Oilers keep the pick, Dubois isn't getting past 4. He's the type of player Chia wants going forward.

There's lots of good D available at pick #32 for the Oilers to choose from. No point reaching.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
PLD
vs
Tkachuk

Shot - ?
Play-making - ?
Skating - ? (Acceleration)
Skating - ? (Top end speed)
Intangibles - ?
Offensive Awareness - ?
Defensive Awareness - ?
Grit - ?
Character - ?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If the Oilers keep the pick, Dubois isn't getting past 4. He's the type of player Chia wants going forward.

There's lots of good D available at pick #32 for the Oilers to choose from. No point reaching.

and what kind of player is that may I ask?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

It is very tough to say which one is better, but I think Tkachuk being higher on a lot of lists might be due to more exposure. Obviously the scouts that make these lists have seen both play, but there's a strong chance they've seen more of Tkachuk because of the team he plays on as well as having teammates slated to go early 1st round as well.

I know that in the few conversations Chia has had about the 4th OA, he's actually mentioned Tkachuk by name and getting ready to go watch him live, yet didn't really mention PLD.

I could see Tkachuk being ahead all the way to the combine, but I think once Dubois does his interviews and displays his strength and conditioning, scouts may change their mind.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It is very tough to say which one is better, but I think Tkachuk being higher on a lot of lists might be due to more exposure. Obviously the scouts that make these lists have seen both play, but there's a strong chance they've seen more of Tkachuk because of the team he plays on as well as having teammates slated to go early 1st round as well.

I know that in the few conversations Chia has had about the 4th OA, he's actually mentioned Tkachuk by name and getting ready to go watch him live, yet didn't really mention PLD.

I could see Tkachuk being ahead all the way to the combine, but I think once Dubois does his interviews and displays his strength and conditioning, scouts may change their mind.

I would take Dubois over Tkachuk easily. Tkachuk is still a very good player though.

I can see Chia really liking the type of game Dubois brings, hopefully we keep the pick.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Hopefully the Oilers pick him and develop him in the Q for 2 more years. His playing style is exactly what Chia probably loves dating back to his Boston days.

If he can fill out at 6'3, ~220 lbs, he'd be the perfect winger for McDavid with his skill set.

Super excited to pick here.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

And you know personally that he wouldnt want a player like tkachuk going forward...?

Seems like a guy pete would like as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
And you know personally that he wouldnt want a player like tkachuk going forward...?

Seems like a guy pete would like as well.

Of course I don't know personally, I don't hang out with the guy. I shouldn't need to say that.

We can infer based on statements like "want to get heavier", "want to get bigger", "want guys to play heavy on the forecheck", etc.

The thing I worry about with Tkachuk is inflated stats playing on the line he is on. Dubois also has a size advantage.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Of course I don't know personally, I don't hang out with the guy. I shouldn't need to say that.

We can infer based on statements like "want to get heavier", "want to get bigger", "want guys to play heavy on the forecheck", etc.

The thing I worry about with Tkachuk is inflated stats playing on the line he is on. Dubois also has a size advantage.

Head Scouts were asked about Tkachuk's production being inflated. They all said that it's bull. Tkachuk drives the play of the line just as much as Marner.
If the people whose jobs are to watch these kids every day don't think it's a problem, why should HF stat watchers?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Head Scouts were asked about Tkachuk's production being inflated. They all said that it's bull. Tkachuk drives the play of the line just as much as Marner.
If the people whose jobs are to watch these kids every day don't think it's a problem, why should HF stat watchers?

If that's the case, why is someone that has 1st overall pick production numbers projected to go 4th-5th overall instead?

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
If that's the case, why is someone that has 1st overall pick production numbers projected to go 4th-5th overall instead?

Is this a real question??
Have you heard of Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi?

Don't forget that Dubois/Tkachuk are top 2 ranked north american skaters.
This year is an anomaly in that the top 3 players are all elite Euros.

In an average draft, Dubois/Tkachuk would be competing for first or second overall.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Is this a real question??
Have you heard of Matthews, Laine, and Puljujarvi?

Don't forget that Dubois/Tkachuk are top 2 ranked north american skaters.
This year is an anomaly in that the top 3 players are all elite Euros.

In an average draft, Dubois/Tkachuk would be competing for first or second overall.

I guess I just don't think THAT highly of Pulju, I feel Tkachuk with 1st overall production levels could beat out Pulju for 3rd if he was driving the line the same way Marner does. I agree that 4th/5th overall (if they turn out to be Dubois/Tkachuk) you are going to get a very good player but I feel like they would be 3rd/4th/5th in most other draft years as well, not battling for 1st/2nd.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

He definitely does not drive the line as much as Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad