F Pavel Shen - Admiral Vladivostok, KHL (2018, 212th, BOS; released)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I've been waiting for someone to start a thread, I've made too many about borderline Russian prospects already.

Just a note, Central Scouting has his height listed incorrectly. I think I remember seeing them list him at 6'1", but EP and MHL's site have him at 5'9" and I'd be inclined to trust them over CS. Edit: Mamonty Yugry's website has him at 183 CM and noted by Caser so I guess EP and the MHL site are out of date. Similar size as Rubtsov with equal production. Very interesting. Could be a great pick in the 2nd, though production isn't everything.

He does seem like he could be a decent player though. PPG at 17 in the MHL is no small feat.

If someone with more knowledge could chime in on how he compares to Rubtsov that would be awesome.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Is he half Chinese by any means (I mean he's from Russia and I'm willing to bet Siberia portion not the European portion), he looks kinda Asiatic, and his last name is Shen.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He is 6'0" 179 lbs (183cm/81kg - that's how he is listed at his team's Mamonty Yugry website), MHL measurements are pretty outdated.

Is he half Chinese by any means (I mean he's from Russia and I'm willing to bet Siberia portion not the European portion), he looks kinda Asiatic, and his last name is Shen.

His grandfather is Chinese.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Exciting that Yugra has two prospects like Shen and Marchenko.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Can someone who has seen him play comment on his strengths, weaknesses, and upside? Surprised by the lack of info on him out there considering his solid production this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great, but 99% of us on here don't speak this language.

Can someone who does please translate?

I watch too many of these Russian language hockey-related videos, I put on the subtitles to English, and still don't understand.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He is 6'0" 179 lbs (183cm/81kg - that's how he is listed at his team's Mamonty Yugry website), MHL measurements are pretty outdated.

His grandfather is Chinese.

Kunlun and Chinese Hockey Federation have to be after him. He doesn't look very Chinese though. Still, Chinese grandfather should probably be enough to get the citizenship.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because NHL teams draft them first and Russians second?

I agree, its a flawed strategy. I took your comment almost like it just has to be accepted that only a certain amount of Russians can be picked, and you can't pick them based on their talent, which is what happens for players of other countries.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Someone should've drafted this guy, I had him pretty high on my draft list. Seems like every year there are a few of these Russian guys who teams don't take in the 7th round and the next year you need to spend a 4th or 5th rounder to draft them.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

Can someone who does please translate?
- His family is from Ufa, he started playing hockey in Nizhnevartovsk;
- He played some kind of ball hockey with his brother a lot in their childhood, but didn't know how to skate. Then he started attending the hockey school and had to learn skating in a week;
- He prefers skill-oriented hockey, but can be very agressive when he loses his temper;
- He's great friends with all of his MHL team;
- Needed a bit of time to adapt to the MHL, but he doesn't see it too difficult now;
- Best vacation is just spending time with his parents and family, because he doesn't get to see them often;
- The most important thing for a hockey player is spine and character, everything else can be learned.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad