Prospect Info: (F) Nick Lardis - 2023 NHL Draft, 67th Overall

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I just watched Lardis get his 24th and 25th goal tonight in his 30th game - a Brantford 5-2 win over Barrie. The first was a one-timer on the PP and the second was a break in alone roof shot.

Not to get too hyperbolic - but he might be our best forward prospect after Bedard. He is blazing fast with first step quickness who can absolutely dance on his edges in tight spaces. His puck handling is very good and his shot is quick and accurate.

I don't know if he'll be physically ready to play NHL next season but whether it's next season of the season after he is going to be very good top-6 winger.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I just watched Lardis get his 24th and 25th goal tonight in his 30th game - a Brantford 5-2 win over Barrie. The first was a one-timer on the PP and the second was a break in alone roof shot.

Not to get too hyperbolic - but he might be our best forward prospect after Bedard. He is blazing fast with first step quickness who can absolutely dance on his edges in tight spaces. His puck handling is very good and his shot is quick and accurate.

I don't know if he'll be physically ready to play NHL next season but whether it's next season of the season after he is going to be very good top-6 winger.
29th game actually. Dont get me wrong he's very exciting but Lardis is still far away from being an NHL regular (3+ years) imo. I still don't know if he's inside driven enough to play in a top 6 role in the NHL. Some of his traits scream AHL scorer (smaller perimeter player and doesn't really drive play much) and it'll be up to him to adapt in the pro ranks BUT great tools and value for the pick and the fact that he's improved on his already stellar numbers from last year is very encouraging. Wish the Hawks made more picks like this last draft. Reminds me of Jason Zucker

Hopefully he doesn't suffer a Jagger Firkus fate and can make the 2025 WJC team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muffinalt

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

OHL is the worst it’s been in a long time and he still has a lot of warts in his game. At the same time he has shown improvement this year in driving the center of the ice and being less of a perimeter player. Boy can he shoot it.

I’d rank it

1) Nazar
2) Moore
3) Colton Dach
4)Lardis

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

I would be shocked if Lardis is pushing for an NHL job within the next two years. The kid is fast and he can shoot. Those qualities are going to lead to opportunities and goals in Junior. It's a different game at the pro level.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Agreed on a very down OHL. Look at the Junior Camp for Canada, they aren't taking a lot of OHL kids these days. That region is bleeding kids to the USHL, as a lot more guys these days would rather control their destiny than get stuck on a few of the OHL teams that are basically massive you know what-shows.. another factor is with housing prices where they are and so much of the wealth out west along with changing demographics, the GTHL type darlings aren't coming up at the same rate as they used to.

As far as Lardis goes, he's having a good season, I wouldn't go too overboard until I see more, to me he often still looks like the kind of player who can score in Juniors, but it's a question of how it'll translate and concerns about him as a projectable depth player. As of now, he's 17th in the OHL in scoring, wasn't on the Hockey Canada radar at all as an 18 year old player, and hopefully will have a good chance to make the roster next year at 19. He's in the mix with a lot of other forward prospects at the moment, each with their various pros and cons.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Agreed on a very down OHL. Look at the Junior Camp for Canada, they aren't taking a lot of OHL kids these days. That region is bleeding kids to the USHL, as a lot more guys these days would rather control their destiny than get stuck on a few of the OHL teams that are basically massive you know what-shows.. another factor is with housing prices where they are and so much of the wealth out west along with changing demographics, the GTHL type darlings aren't coming up at the same rate as they used to.

As far as Lardis goes, he's having a good season, I wouldn't go too overboard until I see more, to me he often still looks like the kind of player who can score in Juniors, but it's a question of how it'll translate and concerns about him as a projectable depth player. As of now, he's 17th in the OHL in scoring, wasn't on the Hockey Canada radar at all as an 18 year old player, and hopefully will have a good chance to make the roster next year at 19. He's in the mix with a lot of other forward prospects at the moment, each with their various pros and cons.
I agree in general but to be fair he’s second in OHL goal scoring on a pretty low scoring team. Quite the feat and if he puts it all together he has the tools to be more than a depth player, imo. I still think it’s unlikely he gets there but its nice to have high upside from a third round pick

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Those drills are all easier when you're lighter.
I will somewhat agree on Pull ups... But the Jumping speaks to ELITE fast twitch muscle development

Which is mostly genetic--but yes- trainable... Either way-- he has Elite Fast twitch muscle-- which equals quickness and speed//release.

I loved the kid in Prospect camp-- one of few guys who could keep up with Bedard. Seemed to have Good IQ too... of course- he is "Light" in weight... And needs to avoid injuries... But if complimented w/ Size guys who can skate/ and win battles... I think this kid will have a very Good NHL career w Hawks...

when- depends on who they can "compliment" him with

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I feel like ideally we need a right shot with Bedard so he can play on his “weak” side on the right side. It opens up a one timer option that Bedard can pass to which will give him more space to release his patented wrist shot from the right circle. His one timer, as of right now just isn’t enough of a threat for him to play in the left circle imo

Like him and Guenther at last years world juniors,

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Agree with most of your post - but I feel like this is unfair. Blaming Lardis for not being higher on the scoring list with the Brantford roster is like blaming Bedard for the Hawks struggles.

And jumping off the bandwagon on a player 6 months after being drafted for not instantly dominating the next level of play is PURE HF. (2nd Edit) - This wasn't specifically directed at WoT, but just in general.

EDIT: Also - on Lardis - this is 100% best case after he was drafted. There is literally NOTHING else he could be doing on Brantford that he's not. With that said - producing in the OHL is no guarantee that it's going to translate to the NHL. Just excited that he's showing he's ready for the next step as a pro to see if he can keep doing it there.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah I mean I think that is fair. But the reasons that Lardis went in the third.. he still needs to work on. He is trending great for a 3rd round pick and that is all that matters. Lardis is really young for his class too which is great.

I'm not even really a Moore guy and I would still have Moore ahead of Lardis in terms of NHL projectability.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Agree with most of your post - but I feel like this is unfair. Blaming Lardis for not being higher on the scoring list with the Brantford roster is like blaming Bedard for the Hawks struggles.

And jumping off the bandwagon on a player 6 months after being drafted for not instantly dominating the next level of play is PURE HF.

EDIT: Also - on Lardis - this is 100% best case after he was drafted. There is literally NOTHING else he could be doing on Brantford that he's not. With that said - producing in the OHL is no guarantee that it's going to translate to the NHL. Just excited that he's showing he's ready for the next step as a pro to see if he can keep doing it there.
I don’t disagree with any of this. I’m of course happy that Lardis is playing well, I just think it’d worth contextualizing in the broader picture before we start to get ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8177.jpeg

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I just read back through the last page of comments, mostly from December until it was re-activated by the news of his ELC signing today.

SHEESH! All the usual Debbie Downer opinions buttressed with bluster to sound emphatically empirical. :laugh:

I'll just add some actual empirical data - he has a July birthday so he played the 2023/24 season almost a year younger than many of his fellow 2023 draftees. How much of a factor is that - hard to quantify but it is a fact.

Reactions: Castle8130

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad