Prospect Info: F Martin Misiak, Youngstown Phantoms (55th overall 2023)

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Just a point of clarification: no one is quite certain if Saginaw still has his rights. You can only hold onto two import players rights at any given time with the exception that if you have a drafted player, you can hold onto another player’s rights in case they make it to the NHL out of camp. Now neither Mintyukov or Sapovaliv made the NHL so in theory they were the only two Saginaw had rights to after the season started. I’ve seen some mention that Misiak is eligible to be reselected in the import draft. I’ve also seen some that seem to think we still hold his rights. Not super clear. We’ll get a better idea after this weak. If Saginaw makes a pick or Misiak goes to someone else before them, that’ll answer that. With Saginaw hosting the memorial cup this year, it would guarantee he’s playing meaningful hockey into June. Really hoping we didn’t let his rights go.
As you said, Saginaw was allowed to make 2 picks last year despite keeping Sapovaliv and Mintyukov because both of those players were NHL top prospects. I believe usually this rule applies only to first-rounders, but since the NHL draft took place after the import draft last year, they declared some players as top prospects and allowed teams to move them to a special import list. However, when both Sapovaliv and Mintyukov were returned by their respective NHL teams, I think Saginaw had to drop both Petr Hauser and Misiak.

I heard Erie will take Misiak with their first overall pick.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Erie sucks, and he'll be 2C behind Terrance.

Not a great landing spot for him.

He's played with Molnar before but I don't know if they're friends or not.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Sucks that he won't play for Saginaw. Especially since they host the Memorial Cup this year. Would've been great for his development but he's played playoff hockey before in the USHL (and won a cup) so getting alot of top 6 minutes will be great for him.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Erie sucks, and he'll be 2C behind Terrance.

Not a great landing spot for him.

He's played with Molnar before but I don't know if they're friends or not.

They're close friends.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
They're close friends.

"Martin is very familiar with Erie, as he took in a few games last season while visiting his close friend Ondrej Molnár."
Cool.

Molnar is a guy that might still get drafted as an overager.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

Heh.. I can see why former scout Jason Bukala on Sportsnet said he's got alittle cockiness to him. Those goal cellys are top notch. :laugh:

Reactions: Mrfenn92

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
That makes me like him even more.

When I heard him compared to Saad, I was like OKAY. Then I watched some of his WJC play and other highlights and I liked him even more. And now this - oh yeah, he's my guy.

Reactions: Muffinalt

giza

Jul 19, 2011
You know, Saad could skate, was pretty fast and he had some size, but he really wasn't that physical. I wouldn't have described him as a Power Forward by any means. This kid seems to be a little more physical.....they took in 2nd round and there was a lot of talent still available....so they must really like what they saw......sure as heck can skate!

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
He’s what was basically the main piece in our return for Patrick Kane…

To NYR
Patrick Kane(@25%)
Cooper Zech

To ARI
Retained 25% of Kane’s contract
NYR 2025 3rd rounder

To CHI
Retained 50% of Kane’s contract
Villi Saraajarvi
Adam Welinski
NYR conditional 2023 1st(conditions not met) became a 2023 2nd(Martin Misiak)
NYR 2025 4th

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
A good start for sure but let’s not lose sight of the fact that a large number of players in the game won’t even be playing in the OHL this season. This was the first exhibition game and teams are giving their 16 year olds and undrafted FAs a look/chance before sending them back to their Jr A & B teams.

Reactions: d rake and Giovi

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
A good start for sure but let’s not lose sight of the fact that a large number of players in the game won’t even be playing in the OHL this season. This was the first exhibition game and teams are giving their 16 year olds and undrafted FAs a look/chance before sending them back to their Jr A & B teams.

True. I know some of Erie's top players did not play in that game - Terrance and Spence were two of them. Probably the same was true for Brantford. I noticed Lardis did not play in Brantford's 2nd game yesterday so definitely coaches are playing different players in preseason games.

Reactions: Sinbad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad