Prospect Info: F Martin Misiak, Youngstown Phantoms (55th overall 2023)

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I watched a good part of the Erie/London game tonight and like every other time I've watched Misiak play - I come away impressed with his overall 200' game. He's constantly moving and getting in on plays all over the ice. It seems he thinks the game very well and has that knack for knowing where the puck is going and getting there before others get there.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
For a Sept 04, I thought he's had a really disappointing year. Did absolutely nothing at the WJC. Is super up and down in a bad OHL.

He can skate, has a big body but when I watch Erie I don't see it between the ears.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Given the people still on the board at the time of this pick don’t feel great seeing Misiak post a mediocre year.

Definitely think the FO has to dial it back when it comes to focusing on skating when it comes to draft eligible skaters

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Given the people still on the board at the time of this pick don’t feel great seeing Misiak post a mediocre year.

Definitely think the FO has to dial it back when it comes to focusing on skating when it comes to draft eligible skaters
Misiask's not even an outstanding skater. I feel like this was an example of drafting for need. KD probably envisioned him being our long term 3C with his size and being a well-rounded 1C on a USHL championship team and passed on players with higher upside/skill.

I remember he looked pretty damn solid during TC so he might still get there, but personally I still would have swung at someone like Sawchyn/Heidt since we need all the talent.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
he is under a PPG in the OHL which is not great. But he has not been terrible for 55th pick in the draft. in regard to skating. of our 4 picks not bedard, gajan, Moore, kantersov, msiak and lardis. I think they have all been OK, guys that can skate and can skate with size are just going to have an extra level if they can get there. its rare for guys to really improve skating by much comparatively. that is a focus for every player. and every prospect. so even if you improve a bit, more then likely so are all the other skaters as well.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I would say he has been close to bad (in my opinion). He's a Sept 04. I realize its his first season in the OHL and there is an adjustment, but he also was a non-factor in a 19 year olds tournament.

Never write a guy off. I only comment from what I've seen this season. When I'm negative I never just sit here and say yep this guy is f***ed forget about him. I wouldn't ever say that about a 19 year old kid. Just saying I expected much better this year.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I watched a bunch of Erie games early in the season and Misiak looked very good - he was about a ppg and his overall 200' game was solid. He anticipates plays very well and breaks up a lot of the opponents plays.

However, over the past month or so, including the WJC, his play has noticeably dropped off. Why? I don't know.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I watched a bunch of Erie games early in the season and Misiak looked very good - he was about a ppg and his overall 200' game was solid. He anticipates plays very well and breaks up a lot of the opponents plays.

However, over the past month or so, including the WJC, his play has noticeably dropped off. Why? I don't know.
Thought his first 15 games or so were pretty good. He was around the puck a lot and playing hard. I never saw a ton of cerebral play but I’m not going to disagree with you directly.

But before the WJC it felt like he got soft, and slow. Sort of reactionary. Then had a terrible WJC. Maybe he’s hurt?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Thought his first 15 games or so were pretty good. He was around the puck a lot and playing hard. I never saw a ton of cerebral play but I’m not going to disagree with you directly.

But before the WJC it felt like he got soft, and slow. Sort of reactionary. Then had a terrible WJC. Maybe he’s hurt?

My thoughts are that it's way too early for "concern". He's 19 playing in his 3rd new league in 3 years. Progress isn't always linear. He has a lot more runway to traverse before anything concrete should be "decided".

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
My thoughts are that it's way too early for "concern". He's 19 playing in his 3rd new league in 3 years. Progress isn't always linear. He has a lot more runway to traverse before anything concrete should be "decided".
I definitely agree it isn’t linear but I expected more from a 19 year old in a pretty soft OHL, that’s all. Especially when he is getting outplayed significantly by an 06 on his own team.

No reason to give up or not expect growth.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Do any players come to mind with a history of underperforming in multiple leagues away from home in a short period of time before figuring it out and becoming solid NHL players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad