F Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Orebro, SHL (2022, 15th, VAN)

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Besides the fact they are Djugarden boys, im not sure what the comparison would be about?

Ostlund is a playmaking C and Lekky is sniper winger.
Not sure why the quick defensive posture? Assuming a Canucks fan? There are plenty of reasons as many teams had both players rated similarly on their draft boards, same class as Swedish eligible draftees, and as you said, both Djugarden players.

I was torn on Ostlund, Ohgren, and Lekky personally. Obviously the bigger need for Buffalo is now a playmaking C but both seem to have really excelled in their development.

Edit - I came here looking for Ostlund’s profile and found Lekky’s. It was just something that popped into my head as I caught up with Lek’s progress.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Going to be interesting to see where this guy and Noah Ostlund stack up against one another.

At the moment, Lekkerimaki is stacked higher and deeper. No shot at Ostlund, just Lekkerimaki is doing more
Not sure why the quick defensive posture? Assuming a Canucks fan? There are plenty of reasons as many teams had both players rated similarly on their draft boards, same class as Swedish eligible draftees, and as you said, both Djugarden players.

I was torn on Ostlund, Ohgren, and Lekky personally. Obviously the bigger need for Buffalo is now a playmaking C but both seem to have really excelled in their development.

Edit - I came here looking for Ostlund’s profile and found Lekky’s. It was just something that popped into my head as I caught up with Lek’s progress.

As a Sabre fan I had the same thought: different teams, different position. Lekkeramaki has had a great season on a weaker team, Ostlund has had a good season on a stronger team. *shrug*

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
At the moment, Lekkerimaki is stacked higher and deeper. No shot at Ostlund, just Lekkerimaki is doing more

As a Sabre fan I had the same thought: different teams, different position. Lekkeramaki has had a great season on a weaker team, Ostlund has had a good season on a stronger team. *shrug*
The search function on this site sometimes struggles but outside of Ostlund’s profile on the Sabres board, I’m struggling to find the prospects sub.

Did it get deleted, never created, or I’m just a technologically inept search functioner?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
while its awkward to compare their playstyles, they can also be compared from an effectiveness relative to teammates angle. Hey, I compare the three of them all the time.

from what I can see mainly following Lekkerimaki from afar.

Lekkerimaki- He is hands down the team MVP. the team is not really a playoff team if he didnt will them into the playoffs. They have an anemic offense. If he bulks up a bit and learn to attack the middle more, he is a lock for a top 6 winger with his shot alone, that consistently beat SHL goalies from distance.

Ostlund- playing for a powerful side, Ostlund was on the third line producing decent numbers. playing around 13-14 minutes? I am lukewarm on him actually, I think he is a good skater for sure, and he was certainly good in the WJC, but he doesnt have that dynamic quality that can overtake Cozens and Thompson and gel with a pretty offensive top 6 in Buffalo.

Ohgren- also playing for the top team that is scoring at will. He is a contributor, good mobility, even uses his body and just more noticeable in one late Feburary game I saw that had him going head to head with Ostlund's Lakers. Too bad his year was marred by injuries, but I came away more impressed with him, I think he can at least contribute on a 3rd line role with his smarts, he should be a versatile guy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Orebro was eliminated in the playoffs yesterday. Lekky's amazing SHL season is now done.

Now the question is what is best for his development and what will he prioritize more.

1. Stay and train in Sweden and possibly play for the national team at the upcoming World Championships.

2. Head to North America and play on the AHL team for their strech run and playoffs then possibly join the Canucks as a black ace and practice with the likes of Q Hughes, JT Miller and Elias Pettersson on a daily basis.

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
Orebro was eliminated in the playoffs yesterday. Lekky's amazing SHL season is now done.

Now the question is what is best for his development and what will he prioritize more.

1. Stay and train in Sweden and possibly play for the national team at the upcoming World Championships.

2. Head to North America and play on the AHL team for their strech run and playoffs then possibly join the Canucks as a black ace and practice with the likes of Q Hughes, JT Miller and Elias Pettersson on a daily basis.
Number 2, please

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Number 2, please

I hear ya, Lekky has had a long year though, from SHL to WJC.

I'm not sure if throwing him into the AHL while having to adjust to North American hockey and playing in a very very good and physical league is the way to go.

Some rest and rehab might be the way to go and then have him play in Worlds in April/May then come to NA in the summer to get ready for a full season of AHL hockey.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

2 because 1 is on Euro ice this year and Lekkerimaki needs to get acclimated to NA ice
But if World Champs were on NA ice, I'd definitely prefer that.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
2 because 1 is on Euro ice this year and Lekkerimaki needs to get acclimated to NA ice
But if World Champs were on NA ice, I'd definitely prefer that.

I personally would be hesitant to throw Lekky into the AHL right away. He isnt no where near physically mature. There's barely any hitting or physical contact in the SHL which is why it was such a perfect league for him to develop this year.

A 6'4 200+ lbs guy like Elias Pettersson (dman) is now in Abby after his SHL season but thats because the kid is a monster and is physically ready.

I'd hate to see Lekky sustain an injury at the AHL level because he just wasnt physically ready yet.

I just dont see why Lekky needs to get acclimated to NA nice now. Its not like they are rushing him to make the Canucks lineup next year. He probably has 1-2 full seasons to play in Abbotsford with the AHL team, i dont see why we need to rush him into the last 3 months of the AHL season.

Maybe World Championship and then a full summer of training and weights will do him better to prepare for the AHL.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Looks like Lekky has decided its North America time.

He is flying to Van and joining the Abbotsford Canucks to at least practice, unsure yet if the plan is for him get into games. He will also likely be a black ace for the Canucks playoff run..

Side Note: He is also leaving it open for Sweden to put him on the roster fo the Worlds. If that happens then apparently Lekky will head to back to Sweden in a few weeks to prepare for Worlds.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Looks like Lekky has decided its North America time.

He is flying to Van and joining the Abbotsford Canucks to at least practice, unsure yet if the plan is for him get into games. He will also likely be a black ace for the Canucks playoff run..

Side Note: He is also leaving it open for Sweden to put him on the roster fo the Worlds. If that happens then apparently Lekky will head to back to Sweden in a few weeks to prepare for Worlds.

You keep being wrong on one aspect:

Him being selected for Sweden's next National Team roster does not mean he'll play at Worlds. He'd be fighting for a spot.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Great news getting him over, even if it's just to get acclimatized to the area and personnel. Canucks will be in dire need of ELC's and scoring wingers next year, this is a really good situation for JL to land. I doubt he plays many games in Abby next year before getting called up.

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I know it's different for young guys, but I gotta wonder how much point there is in a 10 day trip to NA when it could 3 days in each direction to acclimate to the time change.

Does Van still have sleep docs on retainer?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It's only 4 games but it seems to be a fairly disappointing stint so far in the AHL for Lekky as he has yet to record a point.

If I was the Canucks, I think I would keep him in the SHL next season and really let him dominate that league.

Reactions: Fulham

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Feel like he shot his load getting his SHL team into the playoffs and really should have just stayed home and prepared for the WC.

Great season after being sick the year before.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It's only 4 games but it seems to be a fairly disappointing stint so far in the AHL for Lekky as he has yet to record a point.

If I was the Canucks, I think I would keep him in the SHL next season and really let him dominate that league.
You shouldn't stat watch he's been used sparingly and has not looked out of place at all. The SHL next year would be the last option since it means he wasn't adjusting to the smaller ice. The #1 one thing for his development. Both Hoglander and Podz are different players after a season in the AHL.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

I am personally for bringing him over and keeping him over here now...he did well in the SHL this year...he has a get use to North American style and rinks, no sense putting that off another year...he needs to get a lot stronger than he is, playing in the SHL another year he will come back over the year after almost in the same shape he is in.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Wouldn’t shock me to see him make the Canucks out of camp next year or just spend a short time in the AHL.
In very limited minutes in the AHL he’s looked good. Should give him a good taste of the North American game.

Last edited:

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
It’s good for him to get a glimpse of the next level imo. He has a lot to work on and he needs the experience, the jump from shl to ahl is massive.
Feel like he shot his load getting his SHL team into the playoffs and really should have just stayed home and prepared for the WC.

Great season after being sick the year before.

Reactions: Fulham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad