Prospect Info: (F) Frank Nazar - 2022 NHL Draft, 13th Overall

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
It's 4 years for the loop hole.

But no NCAA prospect as good as Nazar ever sticks around for 4 years. When you're that good you're either a one and done or you play 2 years, then sign.

I think Kevin Hayes was the last 1st rounder the loophole thing happened with. And that was really just because of the brother situation.

There's no reason to lose sleep over Nazar not signing. Especially since the kid said a rebuilder was his ideal situation.

If you look at the NCAA 1st rounders in recent years. They're basically all 1-2 years then they sign. Keller, McAvoy, Mittelstadt, Zegras, Boldy, York, Knight, Caufield, etc.

Allow yourself to get hyped for Nazar.

It’s 4 years for the loophole if you go straight into college D+1. In the case of Sam Rinzel, it’ll be 3 years bc he’s going back to the USHL next year before embarking to college in D+2.

As you mentioned though, it’s rare that high-end players like Nazar don’t sign. It just doesn’t make sense for him to extend the time horizon to getting paid in the NHL while simultaneously risking being injured by wasting two extra years in college.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
he said in an interview with nhl network that he'll be glad to sign with any team that selects him, Hawks should be a clear path to nhl and top 9 role

I'm not worried about him signing, but do you really think he'd say anything else?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
That video obviously illustrates his skills but what impressed me most is when the play isn't clean, i.e. he didn't undress the guy and had to compete for the puck to continue the play.

THAT was what is missing in Dach's play. How many times did I see Dach with his face up to the rafters in frustration? Hated it. Stay with the play, get on your horse and chase the guy/puck down.

Love this pick. (would Barzal be a comp for him? I see it style wise but looking for input)

Overall, I'm happy with draft and where we are headed. KM can't undo or be held responsible for what happened before, he needs to move forward., and he is.
I was also thinking Barzal.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm not worried about him signing, but do you really think he'd say anything else?
thats fair but its not worth worrying about when he hasnt played a game of college hockey, we don't even know if he'll be worth signing atm, obviously its a high likelihood but even Kevin Hayes wasnt worth a contract after his junior season

Reactions: ClydeLee

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
That video obviously illustrates his skills but what impressed me most is when the play isn't clean, i.e. he didn't undress the guy and had to compete for the puck to continue the play.

THAT was what is missing in Dach's play. How many times did I see Dach with his face up to the rafters in frustration? Hated it. Stay with the play, get on your horse and chase the guy/puck down.

Love this pick. (would Barzal be a comp for him? I see it style wise but looking for input)

Overall, I'm happy with draft and where we are headed. KM can't undo or be held responsible for what happened before, he needs to move forward., and he is.
he seems like a lucas raymond type forward, the speed, skill, skating...barzal and marner also come to mind, clearly would be incredible value at 13 if they get that outcome

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
We'll see. I didn't know he was a NCAA prospect. I'm less interested now and I think that's such a dumb rule that they can be drafted, play 3-4 years of college, and then become UFA's. If you play college hockey you should still have to sign an ELC with the team who drafted you
Its whatever. They also lose out on making 900+K for 4 years if they make the team after the draft and become a UFA much later

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
No. Nazar will go to difficult areas.
He's a lot like Schmaltz used to be.

I forget what season it was (was it the year he was traded?), but Schmaltz came in skating like McDavid then someone rocked him and he returned playing scared. Avoided contact at all costs, and never skated that fast again. And then there was the problem of differing to Kane EVERY SINGLE TIME. Didn't have it in him to be an alpha dog.

But yes, there are similarities to Schmaltz before he became a bum.

Reactions: Muffinalt

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I went to a "Kieth Relief" charity event 3 or 4 years ago and saw Schmaltz there. I was really surprised with how small he looked. Yeah yeah yeah hockey players don't have bulky upper bodies but he looked like some college freshman with his frame. 6'0" 170ish lbs.

Having not played the game much it never made sense to me how guys could be pro hockey players and have such light frames. I'd think everyone would be stacking more muscle and body weight so they're not getting pushed around all the time. Is there really that much of a cost between speed and body mass when you're skating at the pro level?

Kane gets away with it because he's an excellent skater with even better hands, but he's also a world class talent so he can get away with being a somewhat smaller build. Kirill Kaprizov for example is 5'10" 202lbs. He's still a spectacular skater despite the nearly 25 or so pounds of weight he has a Schmaltz. So i see guys like Schmaltz and even Strome and can't help but wonder why they're going with such a passive body frame in a game that forces you to be so physical.

I've met Ovechkin in person, Tom Wilson, Marian Hossa, and more...those dudes are built like total tanks! How's a guy at 170lbs supposed to share the ice with these athletes supposed to fight for pucks and force his way into prime scoring chances? It doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Schmaltz was/is not a big gym guy. Based on what I have heard he was more Concerned with golf and other things.

Reactions: Pez68

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Barzal with more speed and a little less raw skill seems apt, to me.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I went to a "Kieth Relief" charity event 3 or 4 years ago and saw Schmaltz there. I was really surprised with how small he looked. Yeah yeah yeah hockey players don't have bulky upper bodies but he looked like some college freshman with his frame. 6'0" 170ish lbs.

Having not played the game much it never made sense to me how guys could be pro hockey players and have such light frames. I'd think everyone would be stacking more muscle and body weight so they're not getting pushed around all the time. Is there really that much of a cost between speed and body mass when you're skating at the pro level?

Kane gets away with it because he's an excellent skater with even better hands, but he's also a world class talent so he can get away with being a somewhat smaller build. Kirill Kaprizov for example is 5'10" 202lbs. He's still a spectacular skater despite the nearly 25 or so pounds of weight he has a Schmaltz. So i see guys like Schmaltz and even Strome and can't help but wonder why they're going with such a passive body frame in a game that forces you to be so physical.

I've met Ovechkin in person, Tom Wilson, Marian Hossa, and more...those dudes are built like total tanks! How's a guy at 170lbs supposed to share the ice with these athletes supposed to fight for pucks and force his way into prime scoring chances? It doesn't make sense to me.

Lower body strength is everything. Nobody should give two shits about what a hockey player can bench. Or how ripped he is. 90% of the game is abdominal muscles and down. A big red flag to me is prospects who have stick legs. I've met a lot of these guys. Sikura, Strome, Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, these guys all stuck out to me, as guys who needed WAY more lower body muscle. Absolute twig legs. Not shocking at all that they lacked the skating/explosiveness to be impact players.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Do you not believe there is a direct correlation between lower body mass and speed/explosiveness on the ice?
Of course there is. I think he was just injecting some humor into the conversation.

Reactions: Drumman44

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
On a devastating day for the Blackhawks, this was an incredible pick.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Closer look at Nazar with grades and video for McKeen's subscribers:

I like this pick for the Hawks and this pick was pretty much universally loved on the draft floor when it happened by everyone I was surrounded with. There are some things to work on, but his offensive upside may be among the highest of any forward in the draft.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I'm really warming up to this draft and Nazar is going to be the gem of the bunch...everything I read about this guy is glowing. The name Kirby Dach will be long gone from memory when Nazar makes it to the bigs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad