F Filip Mesar - HK Poprad U20, Slovakia U20 (2022, 26th, MTL)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Very well surrounded, U20 in a junior league. I remain skeptical. We will know his true level in the AHL.

His profile is top 6 offensive or nothing else in the NHL.

Rather the type of players to make a career in Europe.

I'm not counting on him for the future of Montreal. But I hope I'm wrong.
I think he was picked because he's Slaf best friend. I wanted Kulich. But hope it works out.

Reactions: viceroy

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I think he was picked because he's Slaf best friend. I wanted Kulich. But hope it works out.

I hope so too, but the more I see him play the less I like his chances of having a good career in the NHL going forward.

Defensively, I find that Mesar just coasts way too much, and that he neither cares much to defend, nor is he that effective at it even when he decides to put in the effort.

To be more precise, Measr's positioning defensively, his defense against the cycle, his understanding of passing lanes, his physical work, stick-checking, angles of pursuit, board battles, all of those components to Mesar's game look to be very far below what I'd consider "NHL-average".

And without marked improvement in the coming seasons I struggle to see how Mesar will ever see much ice at 5-on-5 in the NHL.

Then there's also the fact that as a player Mesar likes to try and be aggressive all the time, trying to force turnovers on opponents using his speed and taking-up their space on the forecheck, but also directly challenge and go after his opponents with his deking, skating, and overall offensive skillset when he has possession of the puck.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to be proactive out there overall as opposed to playing a more passive game. But I just feel that Mesar misses out on a lot of opportunities that would come to him if he anticipated plays more and tried to force things less.

Which brings me to questions about his hockey sense. And unfortunately, the more I watch Mesar play the more I start to question not only his awareness of space, but more than anything his play selection offensively.

One of the main reasons I have these concerns for Mesar's hockey IQ is that I routinely see him try and stickhandle through opponents when a simple pass or rim would work much better, or force high-risk plays when simple, fundamental passing would allow for better offensive opportunities.

Similarly, I find that he has trouble anticipating where the puck will be on the ice along the boards, and also how to position himself to get more grade-A offensive chances.

Those question marks I have about his hockey IQ make me believe that perhaps Measr's admittedly very impressive skillset has maybe allowed him to get by and produce offensively at every level so far despite having a very average sense for the ice.

And we all know what happens to undersized junior scorers with average hockey sense and no truly elite components to their offensive game (except skating in Mesar's case) when they make the jump to the pro game.

I really, sincereley hope that I am just over-scrutinizing Mesar's play with Kitchener and during these WJCs, and that my concerns with him will vanish with time/viewings of his play at higher levels. But again, seemingly every game of him that I see I lose a little bit more hope of him ever turning into a good offensive player for the Montreal Canadiens.

The good thing though is that there's lots of time still, and that there will be a great deal of opportunities for Mesar to make me eat my words in the future.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I hope so too, but the more I see him play the less I like his chances of having a good career in the NHL going forward.

Defensively, I find that Mesar just coasts way too much, and that he neither cares much to defend, nor is he that effective at it even when he decides to put in the effort.

To be more precise, Measr's positioning defensively, his defense against the cycle, his understanding of passing lanes, his physical work, stick-checking, angles of pursuit, board battles, all of those components to Mesar's game look to be very far below what I'd consider "NHL-average".

And without marked improvement in the coming seasons I struggle to see how Mesar will ever see much ice at 5-on-5 in the NHL.

Then there's also the fact that as a player Mesar likes to try and be aggressive all the time, trying to force turnovers on opponents using his speed and taking-up their space on the forecheck, but also directly challenge and go after his opponents with his deking, skating, and overall offensive skillset when he has possession of the puck.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to be proactive out there overall as opposed to playing a more passive game. But I just feel that Mesar misses out on a lot off opportunities that would come to him if he anticipated plays more and tried to force things less.

Which brings me to questions about his hockey sense. And unfortunately, the more I watch Mesar play the more I start to question not only his awareness of space, but more than anything his play selection offensively.

One of the main reasons I have these concerns for Mesar's hockey IQ is that I routinely see him try and stickhandle through opponents when a simple pass or rim would work much better, or force high-risk plays when simple, fundamental passing would allow for better offensive opportunities.

Similarly, I find that he has trouble anticipating where the puck will be on the ice along the boards, and also how to position himself to get more grade-A offensive chances.

Those question marks I have about his hockey IQ make me believe that perhaps Measr's admittedly very impressive skillset has maybe allowed him to get by and produce offensively at every level so far despite having a very average sense for the ice.

And we all know what happens to undersized junior scorers with average hockey sense and no truly elite components to their offensive game (except skating in Mesar's case) when they make the jump to the pro game.

I really, sincereley hope that I am just over-scrutinizing Mesar's play with Kitchener and during these WJCs, and that my concerns with him will vanish with time/viewings of his play at higher levels. But again, seemingly every game of him that I see I lose a little bit more hope of him ever turning into a good offensive player for the Montreal Canadiens.

The good thing though is that there's lots of time still, and that there will be a great deal of opportunities for Mesar to make me eat my words in the future.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I just think this is ultimately very very frequent with junior players who are offensively gifted. It works for them often enough that they just don't have to adapt. I think it's too early to draw conclusions at we will only get to see if he adapts his game or not at the next level. The size isn't overly concerning to me as the skating is good enough to overcome the lack of size. He wasn't my pick either and I have doubts like you have, but I think if you focus on the positive there's a lot to like too!

Reactions: hellwar9

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Mesar looked great in that video. Connected on a ton of cross ice passes on the PP. Carried the puck with ease. Great skater. Reception de passes without losing any speed.

He has some real pro ready assets. He may be a guy who will be,a better pro than junior player. I hope so.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Mesar looked great in that video. Connected on a ton of cross ice passes on the PP. Carried the puck with ease. Great skater. Reception de passes without losing any speed.

He has some real pro ready assets. He may be a guy who will be,a better pro than junior player. I hope so.

I find players that work hard only when they feel like it, after juniors they figure out they need to work harder or they don't and end up in some Euro league years later. He's got legit speed, skating, vision, play making but not much else, so he's going to need a reality check and if Houle is back in Laval next year then I assume he gets one or ends up in one of the Euro leagues in a couple years.

Reactions: Eegs and Sam de Mtl

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I find players that work hard only when they feel like it, after juniors they figure out they need to work harder or they don't and end up in some Euro league years later. He's got legit speed, skating, vision, play making but not much else, so he's going to need a reality check and if Houle is back in Laval next year then I assume he gets one or ends up in one of the Euro leagues in a couple years.
That's how I see it also. Jamie Benn is a good example of a player that didn't work hard enough in junior, but made adjustments as a pro. Countless examples of players who didn't though.

We will see with Mesar. I sure wish he showed more urgency, but I am not throwing in the towel just yet, because hemis definitely flashing the skills that made him a 1st round pick ahead of popular options like Jiri Kulich and such.

Reactions: montreal

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Being on the smaller size and limited offensive tools, he better becomes a really good 2-way forward if he wants a steady job in the NHL someday

Reactions: Wats

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Kitchener Ranger fan and watched all round 1 games. I usually have feeling Mesar just isn’t excited to play hockey. The desire and commit just seem lacking. The first round though he was Kitcheners best player. He was laying the body, working hard on the forecheck / backcheck and making some solid plays. Really liked his game in the first series. Kitchener will need him to repeat that type of play if the underdogs have any chance of beating London.

Reactions: Eegs and montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kitchener Ranger fan and watched all round 1 games. I usually have feeling Mesar just isn’t excited to play hockey. The desire and commit just seem lacking. The first round though he was Kitcheners best player. He was laying the body, working hard on the forecheck / backcheck and making some solid plays. Really liked his game in the first series. Kitchener will need him to repeat that type of play if the underdogs have any chance of beating London.

that's how i've seen it, last year especially he really looked at times like he didn't want to be there but credit to him to show more effort this year and now in the playoffs so far he seems to be playing with the most effort i've seen from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad