F Filip Mesar - HK Poprad U20, Slovakia U20 (2022, 26th, MTL)

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Nice game from him here. Such an enigmatic prospect. Appears to be no middle ground with him. He either wows or disappoints. Clearly has NHL-level skill. Guess it must be growing pains or in between the ears, or both.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nice game from him here. Such an enigmatic prospect. Appears to be no middle ground with him. He either wows or disappoints. Clearly has NHL-level skill. Guess it must be growing pains or in between the ears, or both.

That's the rub with prospects, as many of them have good skills but lack the ability or confidence to put it all together consistently. That's why you need proper development for many to help guide them along the way, put them in positons that play to their strengths while working on their weaknesses. So much of it at that stage of development is mental, confidence imo is way more important then many fans seem to credit when things go bust. Often not the only reason but it can play a big part.

When Guy Boucher was the Head Coach in Hamilton, he often talked about the mental side of the game, he really seemed to understand it but with his background it makes sense as sports psychology seems like a great thing to a HC to have these days.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
D+2, not dominating the play in junior at all despite the offensive production.

I don't see him making it, unfortunately. Hopefully I am wrong.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
D+2, not dominating the play in junior at all despite the offensive production.

I don't see him making it, unfortunately. Hopefully I am wrong.
Tough first round for the Habs if he doesn’t make it. Owen Beck isn’t wowing anyone either at the moment…

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Tough first round for the Habs if he doesn’t make it. Owen Beck isn’t wowing anyone either at the moment…

Mesar was a reasonable choice at that position in a weak draft as 2022 clearly was. As was Beck. If Mesar doesn't pan-out, it is what it is. I still think Beck will at least become a solid, defensive center who can be counted on to take big faceoffs. I'd be more than happy with that.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Mesar was a reasonable choice at that position in a weak draft as 2022 clearly was. As was Beck. If Mesar doesn't pan-out, it is what it is. I still think Beck will at least become a solid, defensive center who can be counted on to take big faceoffs. I'd be more than happy with that.
I didn’t say they weren’t reasonable choices! Just feel like the Habs had hoped to get more from Slaf, Mesar and Beck than we’ve seen so far.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I was not happy with the Mesar pick. Even more disappointed in it. He's just first round material.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
That's the rub with prospects, as many of them have good skills but lack the ability or confidence to put it all together consistently. That's why you need proper development for many to help guide them along the way, put them in positons that play to their strengths while working on their weaknesses. So much of it at that stage of development is mental, confidence imo is way more important then many fans seem to credit when things go bust. Often not the only reason but it can play a big part.

When Guy Boucher was the Head Coach in Hamilton, he often talked about the mental side of the game, he really seemed to understand it but with his background it makes sense as sports psychology seems like a great thing to a HC to have these days.

Excellent post.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I wanted Luneau with that pick and everybody was saying I was stupid and that he was not worth a 1st round pick or an early 1st. *sigh*
Mesar wasn't my guy either, but it's way to early... He can still become a top6 NHL player and Luneau nothing.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Mesar wasn't my guy either, but it's way to early... He can still become a top6 NHL player and Luneau nothing.
Yes, but unlikely. Luneau was a former top pick in the Q. Then CHL defenseman of the year in his D+1. Initially made the NHL team in his D+2. Now plays in the AHL and looks good.

He looks like a NHL player.

Mesar looks weak and does not dominate the play in his D+2. Just look at those highlights... Dime a dozen player at this point.

Wasted pick IMO, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Yes, but unlikely. Luneau was a former top pick in the Q. Then CHL defenseman of the year in his D+1. Initially made the NHL team in his D+2. Now plays in the AHL and looks good.

He looks like a NHL player.

Mesar looks weak and does not dominate the play in his D+2. Just look at those highlights... Dime a dozen player at this point.

Wasted pick IMO, but I could be wrong.
I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying weirder things have happened

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Very well surrounded, U20 in a junior league. I remain skeptical. We will know his true level in the AHL.

His profile is top 6 offensive or nothing else in the NHL.

Rather the type of players to make a career in Europe.

I'm not counting on him for the future of Montreal. But I hope I'm wrong.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Very well surrounded, U20 in a junior league. I remain skeptical. We will know his true level in the AHL.

His profile is top 6 offensive or nothing else in the NHL.

Rather the type of players to make a career in Europe.

I'm not counting on him for the future of Montreal. But I hope I'm wrong.
If he really was impressive, he would be in the AHL this year given he was eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad