F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
He played LW. Had a very good game...amazing vision and Hockey IQ

I think he need to work on his pure speed....Pelleter of Moncton was a rocket out there while Lafreniere is good skater..

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
are u going to post everytime he gets a point
Every time he performs very well, yes. This kid has been being hyped up for some time, and whether or not he lives up to it, some of enjoy paying attention to elite-tier prospects well before their draft year. Just ignore this thread if you have a problem with it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Im assuming he has to be the current number 1 guy for 2020.

now has 11 points in 9 games and still has 2 years after this one before his draft. He just turned 16 this week.
He's the obvious frontrunner considering a majority of his competition are still in Minor-Midget/travel team hockey. We won't even have a rough out-line of how this draft might look until Jan/February of 2019, and that will just be a rough one.

Dayne97

Oct 15, 2017
i saw him play friday in Québec city.he scored a goal, he plays left wing on a line with Zavgorodniy. they both looked good

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He still projects as a centre, right? To those who focus heavily on the Q, what’s Rimouski’s centre situation looking like? Will there be departures next season that will clear a path to a top-6 centre role for him?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He still projects as a centre, right? To those who focus heavily on the Q, what’s Rimouski’s centre situation looking like? Will there be departures next season that will clear a path to a top-6 centre role for him?
Pretty sure he's been projected as a winger for awhile. I know the QMJHL draft guide put out by HockeyProspects.com lists him as a LWer. Pretty sure he also played the wing in Midget last year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This guy is obviously very good, but let's remember that Patrick as a late birthday in his 16 year old season had 56 points in 55 games and didn't go first in a mediocre draft. I wouldn't assume Lafreniere is a lock to go first if he has a very good season. I think if he continues to play well he'll be a lock for top 5, but what will matter is how he projects in the NHL. Being a winger instead of center and not being that good of a skater is not a great start. He has time to improve and I haven't seen him play myself but from what I've read, he doesn't seem a definite 1st pick type of player, more in line with the Patrick or Veleno tier.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
This guy is obviously very good, but let's remember that Patrick as a late birthday in his 16 year old season had 56 points in 55 games and didn't go first in a mediocre draft. I wouldn't assume Lafreniere is a lock to go first if he has a very good season. I think if he continues to play well he'll be a lock for top 5, but what will matter is how he projects in the NHL. Being a winger instead of center and not being that good of a skater is not a great start. He has time to improve and I haven't seen him play myself but from what I've read, he doesn't seem a definite 1st pick type of player, more in line with the Patrick or Veleno tier.

The kid has played 9 Q games, let's wait a bit longer before we start comparing his season to anyone's. He has 11 points in 9 games so far, and 8 during a current 4 game point streak. At this point he could be off to a hot start or just getting warmed up to dominate the league, we don't know. I don't like the Patrick Comparison at 16 either because Patrick was 6th on his team in scoring, while Lafreniere leads the Oceanic in scoring thus far and will likely do so as the team does not have the offence Brandon did then.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
from my understanding hes a pretty good skater. Also Ive never seen him play but his numbers are vastly superior to Veleno. Hes doing better then Veleno right now despite being almost 2 years younger.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We'll of course see and its far out, but usually the obvious candidates for 1st overall are evidently that at Lafreniere's age. A player like Nolan Patrick is a good skater, not many guys who aren't great skaters go #1 anymore. You could tell that dynamic element was missing from Patrick's game. I can't say whether thats true about Lafreniere, but not being a great skater does make it difficult for him to be that type of player. McDavid's speed is ridiculous, I've always thought Eichel was an incredible skater, his strides have such power to them. Matthews has improved his skating a lot in my opinion, and he plays heavy, so it plays up. Laine might not be a great skater, but he's a goal scorer more than anything.

What is Lafreniere great at? I'd like to know if someone could tell me. There is obviously something that makes him so good. If its not gamebreakinig type of ability like a McDavid or even Eichel or Matthews, what is it? Is it that his game matured earlier or are all the tools there to be a star? I think we should just be a little cautious here. People were sure Patrick would be 1st overall a few years out, and he wasn't. His game matured early, he never turned into that star type of player. Will Lafreniere? I don't know, thats why I'm asking. This kid is pretty obviously going to be a high pick, how high will have almost all to due with his skills instead of stats. Thats what tripped Patrick up. It was perceived that Hischier was the more talented player with more gamebreakinig ability, so he went first.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We'll of course see and its far out, but usually the obvious candidates for 1st overall are evidently that at Lafreniere's age. A player like Nolan Patrick is a good skater, not many guys who aren't great skaters go #1 anymore. You could tell that dynamic element was missing from Patrick's game. I can't say whether thats true about Lafreniere, but not being a great skater does make it difficult for him to be that type of player. McDavid's speed is ridiculous, I've always thought Eichel was an incredible skater, his strides have such power to them. Matthews has improved his skating a lot in my opinion, and he plays heavy, so it plays up. Laine might not be a great skater, but he's a goal scorer more than anything.

What is Lafreniere great at? I'd like to know if someone could tell me. There is obviously something that makes him so good. If its not gamebreakinig type of ability like a McDavid or even Eichel or Matthews, what is it? Is it that his game matured earlier or are all the tools there to be a star? I think we should just be a little cautious here. People were sure Patrick would be 1st overall a few years out, and he wasn't. His game matured early, he never turned into that star type of player. Will Lafreniere? I don't know, thats why I'm asking. This kid is pretty obviously going to be a high pick, how high will have almost all to due with his skills instead of stats.
What is he great at? Hands, Hockey Awareness and Vision. He also has a high-quality shot. He's also a good skater who could add more explosiveness as he fills out.

Now, the last 3 wingers to do first overall were all great skaters in Kane, Hall, and Yakupov. So it is tough to crack the top of the draft as a winger, but Marner and Laine who are too of the higher regarded wingers of the past 5 years are not uber-elite skaters. Marner has ridiculous edgework combined with fast hands that allow him to create holes and breakdowns he can use his vision to exploit, while Laine has good straight-line speed once he gets going but isn't explosive or agile. He seems to have similar tools to Marner but with more size and a better shot, but maybe not quite the same agility. If he is that, his stock should hold, unless someone like Byfield or Drysdale (not trying to say they are currently equal to Lafreniere because they aren't or are locks to be great, just easy examples from the 2020 class) emerge as a franchise center or potential franchise defender, they will obviously get a positional advantage on teams boards.

As previously stated though, we are so far from the draft with the early birthdays still not in junior hockey it would be stupid to say his stock will hold.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto

What is Lafreniere great at? I'd like to know if someone could tell me. There is obviously something that makes him so good. If its not gamebreakinig type of ability like a McDavid or even Eichel or Matthews, what is it? Is it that his game matured earlier or are all the tools there to be a star? I think we should just be a little cautious here. People were sure Patrick would be 1st overall a few years out, and he wasn't. His game matured early, he never turned into that star type of player. Will Lafreniere? I don't know, thats why I'm asking. This kid is pretty obviously going to be a high pick, how high will have almost all to due with his skills instead of stats. Thats what tripped Patrick up. It was perceived that Hischier was the more talented player with more gamebreakinig ability, so he went first.
Im not the best guy to answer that since I have never seen him play but from what I understand he is highly skilled and does not rely on physical attributes like Patrick did. Hes only listed at 6`0 170 however I heard his dad is like 6`4. Hopeully he gets taller still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad