F Alexis Lafreniere (2020, 1st, NYR) part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Looking forward to his career. Seems like he will be one of the good ones.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It was also a nice finish by Laf, he's been getting chances, just haven't gone in for him until then
For as much as he looks almost pro already...you can tell he's still feeling his way sometimes and isn't really ready to use all of the tools he has. With more confidence and experience I expect to see him making plays with the puck more o

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hockey's a game where volume in chances, not precision in chances, is what yields success. Players all shoot around the same percentage. Lafreniere missed two easier chances in the third period than his overtime goal. But when you get three chances like that, one is going to go in. Let's see it again next game. I want to see him put forth another good game where he gets on the scoresheet, either with goals or assists. Get a streak going.

Sorry but that's not even close to true.

Top 50 forwards shoot at 13-18%

Bottom 50 forwards shoot at 5-8%

NHL Stats

NHL Stats

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorry but that's not even close to true.

Top 50 forwards shoot at 13-18%

Bottom 50 forwards shoot at 5-8%

NHL Stats

NHL Stats

How can you say that if you don't understand exactly what I was suggesting? In other sports you might get some players who shoot like 40-50%, and others who shoot 15%. Even in other hockey leagues, some guys will shoot 30% and others shoot 5%.

NHL Hockey is a very low dispersion rate. All NHL forwards shoot within a 10% range for their careers, given a pretty high sample.

Lafreniere needs to continue shooting. If this was another sport, we might be criticizing him for missing two open nets, but you know that some games this is going to happen, and he's probably going to shoot within a 10% range. As long as he can continue getting into chances to score goals, he'll have success. He had success in this game because at some point these chances are going to go in. It wasn't that his play in the OT was so much better than his play earlier in the game. The percentages went his way on this one.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
Iam not a Ranger fan either obviously a Sabre fan but give the kid a break.Congrats kid and going to a have a great career,Ranger fans enjoy him he is going to be a beauty

I don't get to watch a lot of Eichel, but seeing these last two games...man he is good. Hope he stays with you guys.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like another daigle situation to me...

Daigle had 51 points in his first season. Are you suggesting Lafreniere's going to score the equivalent (over 56 games)?

Calling Lafreniere a bust because he only has 1 point in 8 games is a little ridiculous. He's had some bad puck luck. His OISH% (all situations) is third worst on the team (4.76%) in front of two guys who are at 0%, so he's been unfortunate. He should have 3 or 4 points even with regular fortune. And then obviously if he had that, you wouldn't begin to suggest what you are.

Didn't you also claim the same thing about Kakko? Kakko's already been playing better this season and showing improvement from last season. His work off the puck and ability to process the speed of the NHL game is much better. Even if Kakko doesn't become a 2OA caliber of player (not something I'd concede at this point), making too much during a player's rookie season is foolish. Lafreniere was picked 1OA for a reason. Even if he doesn't become anywhere near as good as advertised (not something anyone should be conceding at this point), he's likely to see improvement in upcoming seasons and get a lot better. He's also playing better than Kakko did last season, and actually looks like he belongs.

Something else people like you don't realize because you aren't familiar enough with the Rangers is that we can't afford to give these high picks free ice time and situations like most teams that pick in that range do. We have established good NHL'ers in front of these guys and we are trying to win games. There might be some teams where Kakko last season and Lafreniere this season would've gotten top six/first PP/18-20 minutes per game, regardless of how they were playing, because those teams weren't worried about winning and didn't have viable options for their roles, if they weren't getting those roles. For our team, it's not going to work like that. I think the team could do a better job of developing Lafreniere and Kakko, but they aren't going to be put in a situation that they would on Detroit or Ottawa or New Jersey.

Reactions: blindpass

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Daigle had 51 points in his first season. Are you suggesting Lafreniere's going to score the equivalent (over 56 games)?

Calling Lafreniere a bust because he only has 1 point in 8 games is a little ridiculous. He's had some bad puck luck. His OISH% (all situations) is third worst on the team (4.76%) in front of two guys who are at 0%, so he's been unfortunate. He should have 3 or 4 points even with regular fortune. And then obviously if he had that, you wouldn't begin to suggest what you are.

Didn't you also claim the same thing about Kakko? Kakko's already been playing better this season and showing improvement from last season. His work off the puck and ability to process the speed of the NHL game is much better. Even if Kakko doesn't become a 2OA caliber of player (not something I'd concede at this point), making too much during a player's rookie season is foolish. Lafreniere was picked 1OA for a reason. Even if he doesn't become anywhere near as good as advertised (not something anyone should be conceding at this point), he's likely to see improvement in upcoming seasons and get a lot better. He's also playing better than Kakko did last season, and actually looks like he belongs.

Something else people like you don't realize because you aren't familiar enough with the Rangers is that we can't afford to give these high picks free ice time and situations like most teams that pick in that range do. We have established good NHL'ers in front of these guys and we are trying to win games. There might be some teams where Kakko last season and Lafreniere this season would've gotten top six/first PP/18-20 minutes per game, regardless of how they were playing, because those teams weren't worried about winning and didn't have viable options for their roles, if they weren't getting those roles. For our team, it's not going to work like that. I think the team could do a better job of developing Lafreniere and Kakko, but they aren't going to be put in a situation that they would on Detroit or Ottawa or New Jersey.
I'm sorry but kakko also hasn't really impressed me at being number 2 overall. Both currently are struggling. Its early yes but its concerning. Will see how it goes as the season progresses.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm sorry but kakko also hasn't really impressed me at being number 2 overall. Both currently are struggling. Its early yes but its concerning. Will see how it goes as the season progresses.

The point is that you said the same thing last year about Kakko. He’s clearly getting better. Asserting that Lafreniere will be a bust 8 games in is ridiculous. Give these kids some time. I don’t have an issue with criticizing their play and I do so, but comparing them directly to busts is ridiculous at this point.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017

Kakko has 2 points in 8 games. Let’s pump the breaks

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The point is that you said the same thing last year about Kakko. He’s clearly getting better. Asserting that Lafreniere will be a bust 8 games in is ridiculous. Give these kids some time. I don’t have an issue with criticizing their play and I do so, but comparing them directly to busts is ridiculous at this point.
They are borderline busts right now and not even close to playing where they got picked. I stand by that statement . Let's see if they prove me wrong.

Reactions: mm11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad