F Alexis Lafreniere (2020, 1st, NYR) part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
If the Wings could snatch him, their rebuild would take quite a big step forward. Pretty fun to watch Lafreniere highlights, whoever drafts him will get some supreme offensive talent.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Montreal is sure in need of the kick this guy could give them, far too many years for that franchise to go without a bona fide offensive star, especially a home grown one. They are the team that needs him most so really hoping he ends up there.

The new age Lafleur, make it happen N.H.L. The whole league experience will be far better for it.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Going to jinx it.

I'd like to see him go to a market that deserves him, so an Ottawa or Detroit, but I'd also like to see french-canadians get a home grown star again, so Montreal would be cool to see.
I hope I didn't jinx it. :(

I really don't care that much where he will end up. Just hoping whoever gets him deserves it like you said. Unlikely that it will be Montreal but quite a bit of hockey left to play so we'll see.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Going to jinx it.

I'd like to see him go to a market that deserves him, so an Ottawa or Detroit, but I'd also like to see french-canadians get a home grown star again, so Montreal would be cool to see.
I agree with the “team that deserves it” line.

I hate the new lottery system where a team could miss the playoffs by one point solely because of mass injuries and still end up with the 1st overall.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Really hopes he goes to Detroit, but id also be fine with him in Ottawa, MTL. Dont want him in LA, ANA, or NJ

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Montreal is sure in need of the kick this guy could give them, far too many years for that franchise to go without a bona fide offensive star, especially a home grown one. They are the team that needs him most so really hoping he ends up there.

The new age Lafleur, make it happen N.H.L. The whole league experience will be far better for it.

Pretty sure Detroit neede him the most since they are dead last.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Not a Habs fan but can't argue with that. Especially since the draft this year is in Montreal, can you imagine the crowd and the hype? That'd be quite a franchise-changing moment for them and a good story for the NHL.

Reactions: jj cale

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Great player but too early to tell if he will be a bona fide top 10 NHL scorer.

Having said that, even Detroit has had the: Yzerman's, Fedorov's, Hull's, Shanahan's, Datsyuk's, Zetterberg's, Lidstrom's etc. etc. When was the last time Montreal had a top 10 scorer on the team? 30+ 40+ years ago? Crazy to think. So if any team "deserves" highly skilled player Like Alex, 100% should be Montreal.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Not a Habs fan but can't argue with that. Especially since the draft this year is in Montreal, can you imagine the crowd and the hype? That'd be quite a franchise-changing moment for them and a good story for the NHL.

I can imagine the crowd and the hype. Then the crippling pressure and all the baggage that comes with being a Québécois star on the Habs. The media attention, the overreaction to every high and low in a young player's development...

I think I'd rather he land on another team.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Pretty sure Detroit neede him the most since they are dead last.
No, Montreal needs him the most IMO. It's not good for the league to have one of it's flagship operations floundering for decades now., especially one that basically needs a homegrown star to have it going at it's highest level in terms of drama and excitement.We all know the ebbs and flows of franchises in todays league especially with the introduction of the salary cap but having Montreal be a serious contender again is long overdue and needs to happen both for the league and fans.They have been bad/middle of the pack long enough, it's way past due for them to be real good again. They have cache value few other franchises in this league have and more classic Boston-habs matchups are needed and ditto for a long overdue Leafs-Habs clash. It's just best for the game at this point if Montreal gets up and running as a serious contender again with a French Canadian superstar leading the charge. The habs are universally loved and hated.......................them going so long not being a real factor just sucks regardless of what side of the fence you sit on with them as a fan of NHL hockey. Even for the fans who despise them, how do you keep up that hate if they are never really any good?

Yes, Montreal needs him the most. The Habs are a brand.................they have to become relevant as a contender once again. I mean, what is the NFL without the green bay Packers ever being a contender? it's just not as good or the same.

Reactions: Tanknation

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It would be insane!! You can't buy buzz for the league like that if it were to happen.

You get it.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No, Montreal needs him the most IMO. It's not good for the league to have one of it's flagship operations floundering for decades now., especially one that basically needs a homegrown star to have it going at it's highest level in terms of drama and excitement.We all know the ebbs and flows of franchises in todays league especially with the introduction of the salary cap but having Montreal be a serious contender again is long overdue and needs to happen both for the league and fans.They have been bad/middle of the pack long enough, it's way past due for them to be real good again. They have cache value few other franchises in this league have and more classic Boston-habs matchups are needed and ditto for a long overdue Leafs-Habs clash. It's just best for the game at this point if Montreal gets up and running as a serious contender again with a French Canadian superstar leading the charge. The habs are universally loved and hated.......................them going so long not being a real factor just sucks regardless of what side of the fence you sit on with them as a fan of NHL hockey. Even for the fans who despise them, how do you keep up that hate if they are never really any good?

Yes, Montreal needs him the most. The Habs are a brand.................they have to become relevant as a contender once again. I mean, what is the NFL without the green bay Packers ever being a contender? it's just not as good or the same.
Why does MTL need him much more than Ottawa???You guys already won the lottery and drafted Kot,let someone else have a turn

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I mean the NFL's biggest franchise has been pretty much irrelevant for 20+ years and they are doing fine. The NHL doesn't need the bigger franchises like the Habs, Leafs and Rangers to win the cup to be successful. As long as those teams are still bringing in boat loads of money to keep the teams at the bottom afloat the NHL doesn't give a damn and probably shouldn't.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I mean the NFL's biggest franchise has been pretty much irrelevant for 20+ years and they are doing fine. The NHL doesn't need the bigger franchises like the Habs, Leafs and Rangers to win the cup to be successful. As long as those teams are still bringing in boat loads of money to keep the teams at the bottom afloat the NHL doesn't give a damn and probably shouldn't.
They don't need it to survive but they do need it for the excitement and balance and tradition. You can still be successful dollars wise as both a team and league but there is a bigger picture at play here.

It's not about just surviving and succeeding regardless. I assume by your avatar you are a Leafs fan and should understand what point I am making here. I mean I am a Montreal fan(naturally I have no love for the Leafs) but more importantly I am a hockey fan, Do you think I would have wanted the Leafs to stay miserable forever? No f***in way!!........................it's no damn good that way if teams like that suck forever.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Going to jinx it.

What's nice is that Ottawa has many French Canadians.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Why does MTL need him much more than Ottawa???You guys already won the lottery and drafted Kot,let someone else have a turn

Um, I am pretty sure that is not winning the lottery as they were just that bad that year, and drafted where they should have, 3rd overall. So that's funny coming from the team that drafted right after us at 4th, and the better player so far to boot in Tackchuk. Furthermore

Ottawa: has had 2nd pick in 2001, 1st overall in 1996, 1st in 1995, 3rd in 1994, 1st in 1993, 2nd in 1992 ( this all in a 28-year time span)

Montreal: 3rd 2012, 1st 1980,1st 1971 ( this in a 50-year time span!)

I rest my case. Should be rigged at this point to make it fair for the Habs to win 1st for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad