Expiring Contracts Thoughts

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think you are dead on about the forwards but I think a vet defenseman could go by next season. They are already talking up Myers learning curve after a few weeks. IMO that means Gudas will be moved because he is the only one with trade value and not worth putting as a rotating 7th.

Provorov Myers
Ghost Hagg
Sanheim MacDonald
Morin

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Adding Friedman, Gudas and considering that none of those guys belong one the press box as a 7th (Mcd too expensive) I think a trade is likely. First opportunity will be at Xmas break, then trade deadline then draft. We have some good currency the real question after looking at our lineup is what do you trade for? Picks probably, we already have a good pipeline of forwards and goalies plus a young D.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Money doesn't matter when it comes to who is on the ice. Lehtera is the 13th forward with a $4.7m cap hit. He makes more than the 4th line does combined.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
But we are very, very close to the point - and arguably are already there - where we just do not need a guy like that (even if you think he is halfway decent, which is fairly debatable). In fact, at some point very soon it will become counterproductive to put these guys in a position to block our prospects. That's not me overvaluing the guys in our system - we don't know what we have and won't for a while - but I'd really find it nauseating to have one of them ready to stake his claim and be stifled by the presence of the likes of Lars Eller.
I understand this, but you can't simply assume these guys will make the team or make an impact. You have to have to guys on your roster that you know will be able to play the game at an NHL level. That's not to suggest that I think that all prospects will bust etc., but you don't want to have no backup plan. If Lars Eller (or anyone) comes in on an affordable contract to play bottom 6 minutes, there's nothing wrong with that. If someone outplays him they can play over him. If they don't, why would you want an inferior team on the ice just so someone can play in the NHL? You wouldn't expect the team to bench a better in any other circumstance, would you?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I understand this, but you can't simply assume these guys will make the team or make an impact. You have to have to guys on your roster that you know will be able to play the game at an NHL level. That's not to suggest that I think that all prospects will bust etc., but you don't want to have no backup plan. If Lars Eller (or anyone) comes in on an affordable contract to play bottom 6 minutes, there's nothing wrong with that. If someone outplays him they can play over him. If they don't, why would you want an inferior team on the ice just so someone can play in the NHL? You wouldn't expect the team to bench a better in any other circumstance, would you?

Not to speak for him, but I just think he means that we are getting to the point of having so many options of guys making the team, it makes no sense to add vets who are fighting for 4th line duties....which next year is quite the possibility.

We know the #3LW spot is our weak spot right now....but have Lindblom who can step into that spot right now...let alone by next year. Then we have Vech and Vorobyev on the cusp. Not to mention who know about Rubstov and Frost.

Someone like Eller is not needed at all anymore. After all, we still have "vets" like Weise and Lehtera kicking around next year. Let the young legs play.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I'd honestly be surprised to see us sign any UFA in the next 2-3 years unless a forward prospect flames out badly and leaves us with a hole somewhere. There is a lot of potential in our system and a lot of currently cheap young players that will need to be upped. No reason to get into a bind with big money UFA's.

Edit - Unless somehow a goalie saviour comes on the market.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not to speak for him, but I just think he means that we are getting to the point of having so many options of guys making the team, it makes no sense to add vets who are fighting for 4th line duties....which next year is quite the possibility.

We know the #3LW spot is our weak spot right now....but have Lindblom who can step into that spot right now...let alone by next year. Then we have Vech and Vorobyev on the cusp. Not to mention who know about Rubstov and Frost.

Someone like Eller is not needed at all anymore. After all, we still have "vets" like Weise and Lehtera kicking around next year. Let the young legs play.

For sure. I am not saying we have to get Eller or we are screwed or anything like that. But I also don't think that it is bad to have vets battling for spots with rookies. Eller is a guy that I like, especially if he could be had for cheap. But I don't think that we have to do anything in the UFA market, nor do I think we should NOT do anything in the UFA market. Like I said, unless you have a sure thing, you can't just assume that players with no NHL experience will be better than someone simply because they are younger (nor should you assume the opposite). You can only prepare for one of these things and that is that younger players won't be able to hack it. If you sign someone and it turns out the younger guys can hack it, you don't really have a problem, you just have depth. If you do nothing and it turns out the younger guys can't hack it, you now have a hole in your team that you will be trying to fill. That's why I say I would add someone like Ellers in UFA if he comes at a good cost.

I'd honestly be surprised to see us sign any UFA in the next 2-3 years unless a forward prospect flames out badly and leaves us with a hole somewhere. There is a lot of potential in our system and a lot of currently cheap young players that will need to be upped. No reason to get into a bind with big money UFA's.

Edit - Unless somehow a goalie saviour comes on the market.

They are going to sign someone. It is pretty rare for a team to do literally nothing. Perhaps they don't sign a UFA like they did this offseason, but they acquired Lehtera (obviously that was not the focus of that trade, but he's a vet they added). I don't think they will go out and sign ten guys to huge contracts, but I think they'll look in to adding someone either via trade or UFA for added depth and competition.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just say no.
We see the problem with Weise, what makes you a solid 3 line winger may not make you a good 4th line winger, different roles, different skills.
Why bring in another 25 point 3 line winger?
Either upgrade (i.e. 30+ ES scorer) or go with kids.
And on the 4th line, we want speed and forechecking, NAK makes more sense than any FA.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not a fan? I would take him in a bottom six role. I just don't know what type of contract he's going to get. Certainly not looking to break the bank on him.

No, definitely not a fan.

Who would you take him over?

We are bursting at the seams with prospects. Pretty good chance that both Lindblom AND Vorobyev are on the team next season. Who would Eller play over?

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Weal - Patrick - Simmonds
Lindblom - Vorobyev - Konecny
Leier - Laughton - Raffl

Weise, Lehtera

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
For sure. I am not saying we have to get Eller or we are screwed or anything like that. But I also don't think that it is bad to have vets battling for spots with rookies. Eller is a guy that I like, especially if he could be had for cheap. But I don't think that we have to do anything in the UFA market, nor do I think we should NOT do anything in the UFA market. Like I said, unless you have a sure thing, you can't just assume that players with no NHL experience will be better than someone simply because they are younger (nor should you assume the opposite). You can only prepare for one of these things and that is that younger players won't be able to hack it. If you sign someone and it turns out the younger guys can hack it, you don't really have a problem, you just have depth. If you do nothing and it turns out the younger guys can't hack it, you now have a hole in your team that you will be trying to fill. That's why I say I would add someone like Ellers in UFA if he comes at a good cost.

They are going to sign someone. It is pretty rare for a team to do literally nothing. Perhaps they don't sign a UFA like they did this offseason, but they acquired Lehtera (obviously that was not the focus of that trade, but he's a vet they added). I don't think they will go out and sign ten guys to huge contracts, but I think they'll look in to adding someone either via trade or UFA for added depth and competition.

There will not be a UFA signed next summer for any role other than #7 D to replace Manning. Even that role could be filled by MacDonald if they finally promote Morin.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
No, definitely not a fan.

Who would you take him over?

We are bursting at the seams with prospects. Pretty good chance that both Lindblom AND Vorobyev are on the team next season. Who would Eller play over?

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Weal - Patrick - Simmonds
Lindblom - Vorobyev - Konecny
Leier - Laughton - Raffl

Weise, Lehtera
And it's starts getting more crowded next season : Rubtsov, Laberge, Bunnaman, and possibly Allison and Laczynski could be all joining the phantoms next season. Only Filpulla isn't sign for next year in the top 9. There is going to be an even bigger logjam at forward than currently on defense.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
And it's starts getting more crowded next season : Rubtsov, Laberge, Bunnaman, and possibly Allison and Laczynski could be all joining the phantoms next season. Only Filpulla isn't sign for next year in the top 9. There is going to be an even bigger logjam at forward than currently on defense.

Isn't it an awesome problem to FINALLY have? On the cusp of the really hard part of managing a salary cap by keeping the roster talented and young. Good luck to Mr. Clarke.: moving a logjam of talent with upside to make room for more talent with a greater upside.

Definitely keep trading for picks.... have to keep the rotation cycle fed by good drafts and moving. Can't sign too many veterans or you'll burn through the cap.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Two things are in play here, first off they have to have a good season. If they have another year where they miss the playoffs, I think there will be major changes.

With Filpulla, I think a lot depends on how he's working out on the power play.

But the odds seem to be in favor of us letting the contracts we have expire and being very quiet on July 1. Maybe a depth forward? Perhaps on a tryout in training camp?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Isn't it an awesome problem to FINALLY have? On the cusp of the really hard part of managing a salary cap by keeping the roster talented and young. Good luck to Mr. Clarke.: moving a logjam of talent with upside to make room for more talent with a greater upside.

Definitely keep trading for picks.... have to keep the rotation cycle fed by good drafts and moving. Can't sign too many veterans or you'll burn through the cap.

???

Reactions: Tripod

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Trading and signing are two wholly different beasts. With a trade you have bodies for bodies and cap for cap. You're also not in a bidding war for salary (perhaps for trade price), so you come in with the contract as a known quantity. While it is easy to think of UFA signings as free assets, they aren't often cheap and, with a stocked farm system, it can also mean blocking and devaluing a potential asset.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Yeh, the defense could be interesting... Really hope they dont move Gudas though, he is very good on a very good contract. AMac does become 'buyable outable' this summer... and maybe, just maybe tradeable with retention.

I also think Lehtera could be bought out or moved with a year left.

Caps need help on D. Macdonald at 50% retained and a bad contract back for picks? Everybody wins - we are rid of Macd, Caps get veteran d, no extension of the buyout cap hit, we get rid of Macd, Caps get cap relieff, we lose Macd, room opens up for Morin, and we get rid of Macd.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Caps need help on D. Macdonald at 50% retained and a bad contract back for picks? Everybody wins - we are rid of Macd, Caps get veteran d, no extension of the buyout cap hit, we get rid of Macd, Caps get cap relieff, we lose Macd, room opens up for Morin, and we get rid of Macd.

Also, don't forget that MacDonald would be gone as well.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Trading and signing are two wholly different beasts. With a trade you have bodies for bodies and cap for cap. You're also not in a bidding war for salary (perhaps for trade price), so you come in with the contract as a known quantity. While it is easy to think of UFA signings as free assets, they aren't often cheap and, with a stocked farm system, it can also mean blocking and devaluing a potential asset.

They may be different but they are now linked in the salary cap era. You have to balance the future long term signings you want vs. cap space vs. upcoming cheaper replacement talent (with hopefully at least equal to greater upside).

Not easy.

At least not easy once you have talent. It's been relatively easy so far in Philly only because the team had enough 'poor talent' playing that almost anyone coming up has been better than what we traded or didn't sign.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I would use the cap space to extend provy and konecny if possible that could be down the line . hexy has done a great job of supplying this team with cheap depth from a wide variety of draft picks, no need to pay for depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad