Expiring Contracts Thoughts

Richards18Forever

Nov 15, 2006
philadelphia
Curious what we may or may not do with these players or their cap space next year.

Val- 5m
Read-3.6m
Current cap space 3.25m

28 14 93
40 51 17
11 19 22
12 21 20

9 47
8 53
3 23/6

I don't see any other forwards besides Weise dropping next year and we won't need any top 6 d signings aside from Hagg and possibly Manning getting new contracts.

Will we go into next season with 10m in cap space?

Of course I know we need to plan ahead for all the young studs we have but that's at least 2 years out.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts and predictions are, I don't have a clue what we will do.

Reactions: tymed

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I suspect Hextall has a spreadsheet on his computer with both current contracts, and the probable cost of extensions.
So he may see the $10M as an opportunity to "roll money forward" rather than to go shopping, because in a couple years he's going to have to extend some expensive players (Provorov, Konency, Patrick, etc).

Retaining salary on trades is more effective for this purpose than buying out contracts, since the latter extends a smaller cap hit further into the future. If you have extra money now, retaining salary allows you to use it to eliminate potential dead money down the road.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
One thought is if Hexy is considering signing Veteran FAs, he may see what Filp has left and what he will demand on a short Contract... IIRC you can cut salary on Expiring Contracts.

Of course that is merely an option... and a lot depends on Filp and Hexy's plans... plus how close the Team is to seriously compete for the Cup.

Just a thought.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
One thought is if Hexy is considering signing Veteran FAs, he may see what Filp has left and what he will demand on a short Contract... IIRC you can cut salary on Expiring Contracts.

Of course that is merely an option... and a lot depends on Filp and Hexy's plans... plus how close the Team is to seriously compete for the Cup.

Just a thought.

I'd stay away from re-signing Filp. Vorobyev may be able to make the jump next season, or Giroux goes back to center. There are a lot of options and Filp isn't really an important cog in the Flyers machine.

litflyersfan

Jan 1, 2008
I'd stay away from re-signing Filp. Vorobyev may be able to make the jump next season, or Giroux goes back to center. There are a lot of options and Filp isn't really an important cog in the Flyers machine.

I hope Hak/Hex have Flip on the top power play unit to boost his trade value not the value of his next contract, at least with us.

Edit: oh course this depends on it the team wants to trade Flip.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

All valid points... but this was all contigent on, Filp playing very well and Flyers getting a good Contract deal, Hexy planning on signing FAs... and the Flyers proving to be Contenders for the Cup... a Perfect Storm situation to say the least... Of course, if the Flyers are not ready to take the next step and/or Filp is not playing well or willing to sign a shortish fair Contact, all bets are off and Hexy takes another route.

Again... merely one possible way to go.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Save the cap space so we can extend our young saviors when their ELCs are up. No more $ spent on depth veterans.

bill-hader-this.gif

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Next year will be something like:

Giroux - Couturier - Voracek
Weal - Patrick - Simmonds
Lindblom - Vorobyov - Konecny
Raffl - Laughton - Leier
Lehterä
Weise

Provorov - MacDonald
Gostisbehere - Hagg
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin

Elliott
Neuvirth

That is a 23 man roster...

Cap hit: $63.5m... will be some bonuses I imagine... but should have ~$10m space.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

Raffl - Laughton - Leier
Lehterä
Weise

Provorov - MacDonald
Gostisbehere - Hagg
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin

Elliott
Neuvirth

Cap hit: $63.5m... will be some bonuses I imagine... but should have ~$10m space.
I think you are dead on about the forwards but I think a vet defenseman could go by next season. They are already talking up Myers learning curve after a few weeks. IMO that means Gudas will be moved because he is the only one with trade value and not worth putting as a rotating 7th.

Provorov Myers
Ghost Hagg
Sanheim MacDonald
Morin

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think you are dead on about the forwards but I think a vet defenseman could go by next season. They are already talking up Myers learning curve after a few weeks. IMO that means Gudas will be moved because he is the only one with trade value and not worth putting as a rotating 7th.

Provorov Myers
Ghost Hagg
Sanheim MacDonald
Morin

Yeh, the defense could be interesting... Really hope they dont move Gudas though, he is very good on a very good contract. AMac does become 'buyable outable' this summer... and maybe, just maybe tradeable with retention.

I also think Lehtera could be bought out or moved with a year left.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Hextall will have enough space to acquire the equivalent of a Matt Read and bury him in the AHL in exchange for a pick.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Save the cap space so we can extend our young saviors when their ELCs are up. No more $ spent on depth veterans.

No harm if they are short contracts. If they are useful and we don't need the cap space short-term, why not? They'll expire before we have to extend the young guys.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There's really not any one interesting in the UFA market unless they are willing to sign for a steal or on a one-year deal. If Tavares makes it to UFA the price will be astronomical so I wouldn't imagine the Flyers having interest there. JvR and Kane, if they make it to UFA, are the other guys I'd have interest in. JvR would be a nice fit here but he's probably going to want a big chunk of change for a long time. Kane is intriguing. He has his obvious off-ice issues (and on-ice issues), but the talent is there. He's off to a hot start this year though. If he had a comparable season to last year I think he could be had for cheap, but he's at over PPG right now so we'll see how he keeps it up. Other than that, there aren't any guys that really make sense going after in a big way. I'm sure there will be some sort of UFA signing to add depth and create competition, but no one really worth making a big splash for.

Only other guy that I really would be curious about is Lars Eller. Not sure what kind of deal he's going to get but I have always liked him.

Other than that like everyone has said, save it for dudes that will need it soon.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Raffl - Laughton - Leier
Lehterä
Weise

Provorov - MacDonald
Gostisbehere - Hagg
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin

Elliott
Neuvirth

MacDonald, if he continues to play well, should certainly be tradeable at 2yr/$5M if Hextall retains 50% - try finding an equivalent defenseman in free agency for anything approaching that cost and term length.
With Morin, Myers and Friedman knocking on the door, they really have to find a way to move MacDonald.
Lehtera is unmovable, can they even send him down to LHV next year and bury him?
Weise could be tradeable if he posts 20+ points this year, 2 yrs left at a market rate (i.e. the going rate for third line forwards who score 20+ a year).
With Lindblom, NAK and MV, time to move on from him.

Could end up with $15M in cap room, problem is how to use it to save future money (don't want to take on a big money contract for another player in their 30s, already have G & Vs' deal hanging over the future).
If MacDonald keeps playing well, tradng him with retention of half his salary is certainly feasible, MacDonald at 2y/$5M is superior to just about any second tier veteran you'll sign in FA, and Hextall gets $2.5M in cap relief the next two years.
With Myers and Friedman knocking on the door next year, that's would be the best possible outcome.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Not a fan? I would take him in a bottom six role. I just don't know what type of contract he's going to get. Certainly not looking to break the bank on him.

But we are very, very close to the point - and arguably are already there - where we just do not need a guy like that (even if you think he is halfway decent, which is fairly debatable). In fact, at some point very soon it will become counterproductive to put these guys in a position to block our prospects. That's not me overvaluing the guys in our system - we don't know what we have and won't for a while - but I'd really find it nauseating to have one of them ready to stake his claim and be stifled by the presence of the likes of Lars Eller.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad