Expansion Teams Thread

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Won't be Kalamazoo, the owners have tons of money and sees the team as a gift to the community.

Could be Elmira, Geary says he is not selling, but we all know that goes. $$$$ talks.

But by the 2017-2018 season, there will probably be a few more moves in the AHL which will in turn effect the ECHL.

Might even see an ECHL team or two drop down to the SPHL.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Won't be Kalamazoo, the owners have tons of money and sees the team as a gift to the community.

Could be Elmira, Geary says he is not selling, but we all know that goes. $$$$ talks.

But by the 2017-2018 season, there will probably be a few more moves in the AHL which will in turn effect the ECHL.

Might even see an ECHL team or two drop down to the SPHL.

According to the newspaper there is supposed to be a decision on the arena sale to a new party within a few weeks. From what I have been directly told the arena no longer has a functioning ice plant as all of the pipes under the floor are rotted, so the new buyer will need to spend a million $ to get the ice making capacity up and running again.

The arena sale would not include the team, so the team could be sold to another party and relocated.

Honestly I would like to see Elmira drop down to junior or the SPHL if other Northern teams join there. Our market is too small to support what the ECHL has become.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Is the Las Vegas Wranglers franchise still floating out there somewhere? I know they ceased operations, but did the franchise license simply disappear? Or could Vegas possibly be an option to be purchased and relocated?

I believe the Las Vegas ECHL franchise was turned back into the league a year ago. The Reno franchise, AFAIK, is still out there.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
According to the newspaper there is supposed to be a decision on the arena sale to a new party within a few weeks. From what I have been directly told the arena no longer has a functioning ice plant as all of the pipes under the floor are rotted, so the new buyer will need to spend a million $ to get the ice making capacity up and running again.

The arena sale would not include the team, so the team could be sold to another party and relocated.

Honestly I would like to see Elmira drop down to junior or the SPHL if other Northern teams join there. Our market is too small to support what the ECHL has become.

Wow the ice plant no longer works? I know that there was an issue a few years ago with rings underneath the floor.

I've heard both but no idea what to believe. The team could definitely be sold along with the arena. The current guys would be idiots to keep it for tear 3 of their failed experiment though.

I heard on the news that all parties that looked at the arena were local but one was from Rochester but this was also only a mere small group of just 5 groups.

It is bizarre they are looking hard for a new coach though given all the uncertainty.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Wow the ice plant no longer works? I know that there was an issue a few years ago with rings underneath the floor.

I've heard both but no idea what to believe. The team could definitely be sold along with the arena. The current guys would be idiots to keep it for tear 3 of their failed experiment though.

I heard on the news that all parties that looked at the arena were local but one was from Rochester but this was also only a mere small group of just 5 groups.

It is bizarre they are looking hard for a new coach though given all the uncertainty.

The rec rink has been closed since April. The reason is the broken ice plant. Although never busy in the summer, there has always been skating lessons, public skating and other ice time in the summer.

http://www.firstarena.com/ice-pavilion/?view=calendar&month=June-2016

One of the potential buyers is very familiar to Jackals fans.

The reason I say that it makes sense for the arena to go with juniors is that a very similar model (college summer league baseball) is working well across town with no player salaries and a similar setup to junior hockey, and that team seems to be profitable and successful.

We'll see what happens I guess.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The rec rink has been closed since April. The reason is the broken ice plant. Although never busy in the summer, there has always been skating lessons, public skating and other ice time in the summer.

One of the potential buyers is very familiar to Jackals fans.

The reason I say that it makes sense for the arena to go with juniors is that a very similar model (college summer league baseball) is working well across town with no player salaries and a similar setup to junior hockey, and that team seems to be profitable and successful.

We'll see what happens I guess.

When this first became news Santulli said something on the news about interest from someone with NHL connections. No idea what that meant. Then you say one of the names is very familiar with Jackals fans. My wish is that meant Craig Rivet haha. The odds on any other former player aren't realistic for obvious lack of cash.

That is interesting. I wonder why they won't make that public that it no longer works. Whoever buys that place has a job and a half on their hands. Not only will they have to spend but they will have to put a lot of time in. If there's no hockey that place has no chance because they struggle having things to fill it.

I don't follow the pioneers but I know who runs it and they used to manage the jackals and I know that under Robbie they loves giving free tickets so I don't know if that is something going on at Dunn or not. Baseball is a cheaper operation as well. You don't have to use lights often or for every game you play for one.

I would be open to juniors but it would have to be the highest quality.

DHammond

May 19, 2015
I wouldn't think a buyer would be interested in First Arena if he had to put $1 million plus into renovations in addition to the price of the arena unless he got a break on the price and the team came with it. Otherwise without control of the team, they could leave and leave the Arena owner high and dry. A junior team wouldn't bring in as much revenue. They'd have to charge lower prices for tickets, and I don't think as many people would support that.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I wouldn't think a buyer would be interested in First Arena if he had to put $1 million plus into renovations in addition to the price of the arena unless he got a break on the price and the team came with it. Otherwise without control of the team, they could leave and leave the Arena owner high and dry. A junior team wouldn't bring in as much revenue. They'd have to charge lower prices for tickets, and I don't think as many people would support that.

The team is locally owned right now and "ran by a community board" I don't think the current owners will move the team. Quite frankly after 3 years I'm convinced they don't know how to run a sports team anyways. I understand it was somehow appraised at $8 million but they have said on the news that, that's not necessarily the asking price and the price is negotiable. At the moment its temporarily owned by some government thing called the IDA and they are just looking to get rid of it and don't want to run it so I'm sure a good deal is out there.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007

Agreed whoever buys the arena will be looking for a deal based on the upgrades needed to even get it functioning.

As for whether fans would support something other than the ECHL, you never know, Johnstown fans seem to be happy with the NAHL.

The owner of the team can actually build a roster and not rely on a parent club that may or may not help out, and fans don't have to complain about constant roster turnover during the season as it is much less.

Agreed tickets would have to be cheaper, no more than $15 for center ice and $10 or less for the ends.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Agreed whoever buys the arena will be looking for a deal based on the upgrades needed to even get it functioning.

As for whether fans would support something other than the ECHL, you never know, Johnstown fans seem to be happy with the NAHL.

The owner of the team can actually build a roster and not rely on a parent club that may or may not help out, and fans don't have to complain about constant roster turnover during the season as it is much less.

Agreed tickets would have to be cheaper, no more than $15 for center ice and $10 or less for the ends.

Not incredibly familiar with the Johnstown area but I'm guessing they have no collegiate team. Elmira does, albeit its low level Division 3 athletics. I think given that unless its top end quality juniors I'm not sure it would work.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

So apparently they had no bids on the joint

http://www.stargazette.com/story/ne...bids-submitted-first-arena-purchase/86430284/

Apparently three groups are still interested though. The reason appears to be a lack of information the IDA had available. I find the end interesting. People seem to suggest that the team won't be included but if that was the case why are they saying they need this sale by October? I just have to think the team is a part of the deal. Its been apparent for awhile the owners want out.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011

Actually not all Johnstown fans. I know many former Chiefs fans that will not attend games. The level of hockey is not what people are used to in Johnstown. The attendance has dropped every year since the team joined the NAHL, if they don't produce a winner soon - don't see them lasting long. When in the states went to a few games - boring is the only word I can come up with. If they would have a USHL team, might be different.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
Actually not all Johnstown fans. I know many former Chiefs fans that will not attend games. The level of hockey is not what people are used to in Johnstown. The attendance has dropped every year since the team joined the NAHL, if they don't produce a winner soon - don't see them lasting long. When in the states went to a few games - boring is the only word I can come up with. If they would have a USHL team, might be different.

The attendance went UP this past year. Overall the attendance has been better than some years that the Chiefs were in the ECHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad