Expansion Teams Thread

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
What do you think the next expansion teams will be for these leagues?

FHL ECHL SPHL NAHL USHL and AHL

Heres what i think

FHL-Watertown New York
ECHL-Portland Maine
AHL-Belleville Ontario
NAHL-Shreveport/Bossier City Louisiana
USHL-St Charles Missouri or Rochester Minnesota
SPHL-Birmingham Alabama, Biloxi Mississippi or Richmond Virginia

What are your thoughts

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
ECHL- Fresno at some point soon
AHL- Estero Fla.
FHL- Battle Creek Michigan
USHL-Traverse City Mi.
NAHL- Hoffman Estates Ill.
SPHL- St.Charles Mo.

Jntg4

Jan 13, 2013

Heres what i think

FHL-Watertown New York
ECHL-Portland Maine
AHL-Belleville Ontario

What are your thoughts

Not too bold with the FHL, Watertown is already coming back next season along with an expansion team in St. Clair Shores

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Not too bold with the FHL, Watertown is already coming back next season along with an expansion team in St. Clair Shores

Same goes for for his NAHL pick, team already joined a month or so ago.

A genie he is not.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
I can see Orlando and Estero, FL (Everblades) moving up to the AHL, with possible Atlanta (Gwinett).
ECHL, is the AHL keeps losing teams in the Northeast, you could see Utica, Binghamton, Portland and maybe Hartford or Springfield thrown into the mix.

USHL wants to expand east and have heard they are looking at the Buffalo, NY area.

SPHL - there are lots of potential cities who could join, but you hear the same ones being tossed around year after year.

FHL - does anyone really care?

toledo109

Dec 15, 2015
-Fresno has failed before in ECHL and California has enough teams it seems through many leagues.
-I could see Orlando moving up but the Everblades are in the middle of nowhere and Peter Karmanos had it's issue owning them.
-Gwinnett has always done well but it' still an warning sign to have hockey in Georgia even if you move them up.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
AHL- Estero Fla.
USHL-Traverse City Mi.
SPHL- St.Charles Mo.

If Fresno gets a team, it'll be AHL. For the ECHL, Fresno would bo on an island. There are 5 other California AHL teams to bus to.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
ECHL- Dallas to start team in OKC.

The viability of hockey in OKC has been discussed at length in various other posts on this site. Sadly, I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

If Dallas wanted to move their ECHL affiliate closer, then Allen would be the obvious choice.

That being said, there really isn't any reason to have an ECHL team close to the NHL market. Players from the ECHL aren't being directly called up to the NHL. Dallas seems fine having its ECHL affiliate in Boise, but does have its AHL affiliate in Cedar Park, TX.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I will pick a new NAHL and FHL team, sorry i have not been up to date with the expansion news for those areas.

NAHL-Lewiston Maine

FHL-Traverse City Michigan

That's not likely to happen right now.... It might be several years, if ever, before they attempt to bring in an NAHL team. Market seems content with NA3HL team.

Last edited:

eggy2486

Hitman #6
Jun 9, 2011
Eastern CT

Heres what i think

FHL-Watertown New York
ECHL-Portland Maine
AHL-Belleville Ontario

What are your thoughts

I can't see an AHL team working in Belleville, as a league they're not going for small cities anymore. If they're losing the Bulls, I can see them going for a Jr A team instead, low overhead for almost the same turnout for fans.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
ECHL- Dallas to start team in OKC.

OKC, IMO, is the best available market without hockey where a franchise would be successful. But the Thunder's vise grip on not just its arena, but the Myriad/Cox Center (where the NBDL team has scheduling priority) makes it a very difficult place to operate a team. Lund has explored it.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
I can't see an AHL team working in Belleville, as a league they're not going for small cities anymore. If they're losing the Bulls, I can see them going for a Jr A team instead, low overhead for almost the same turnout for fans.

There was apparently an ownership group that wanted to put a OJHL team there but the owners of Wellington and Trenton blocked it as they are each only 20 minutes from Belleville.

I also heard there was interest in the Allan Cup Hockey League, but with Norwood folding all of the other teams are the other side of Toronto now except for Whitby.

BladesFan10

Jan 26, 2016
The Everblades -- barring the arrival of a sugar daddy with nothing else to do -- will not go to the AHL. Our fan support is enough to do good in the ECHL thanks to snow birds who won't drive to Tampa or Sunrise to boost us up in the second half of the season.

Don't expect the team to go anywhere any time soon though, even with the recent Karmanos law suit. Team helps balance the operations of the arena on off nights while big concerts ( Luke Bryan, Elton John, etc) put the arena into the black.

Though the team may be losing slightly in the money column, there presence is what helps balance the arenas books every year.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
We could say that about a lot of teams in the minor leagues. That could be a big issue. I remember an article a few years back where a rumored sale was up and there were two options, the arena and the team but someone wanted just the arena space to turn it into something else undisclosed.

CMUBrent

Jan 23, 2007
AHL- Estero Fla.
USHL-Traverse City Mi.
SPHL- St.Charles Mo.

I could see Battle Creek in the FHL before too long. They already have teams in Port Huron and St. Clair Shores, so a third Michigan team would be logical (if, of course, logic would ever apply to the FHL :laugh:)

Not familiar with Traverse City's rink. Is it large enough to support USHL hockey?

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
Portland will not be applying for an expansion team. They plan on taking another route to acquiring an ECHL or AHL franchise.

Hmm? Is AHL actually a possibility? This story has gone completely cold since the few days after the announcement - and now hearing they will not be pursuing an expansion team makes me curious if there is something in the works, or if the idea somehow doesn't seem as profitable to them as it originally did...

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Hmm? Is AHL actually a possibility? This story has gone completely cold since the few days after the announcement - and now hearing they will not be pursuing an expansion team makes me curious if there is something in the works, or if the idea somehow doesn't seem as profitable to them as it originally did...

Ultimately, I'm under the belief that they're looking at purchasing an existing ECHL franchise. They're still on the same timeline for the 17-18 season. I just think they are leaving all options open.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
As I said a few days ago... Ownership group looking to bring an ECHL team to Portland will not apply for an expansion franchise. Instead they are close to purchasing an existing franchise. I'm hearing that its either Evansville/Owensboro or Kalamazoo. I'm leaning toward the Evansville/Owensboro franchise because the current owner is getting bored with owning the team and doesn't want to pay for the upgrades to the arena in Owensboro.

Portland would still be looking at 2017-18 for hitting the ice.

READ MORE>>>>

BTV

Oct 12, 2005
Lewiston, Maine
Is the Las Vegas Wranglers franchise still floating out there somewhere? I know they ceased operations, but did the franchise license simply disappear? Or could Vegas possibly be an option to be purchased and relocated?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad