- Brock Nelson
- Frans Nielsen
- Casey Cizikas
- Nick Leddy
- Johnny Boycuck
- Travis Hamonic
- Calvin de Haan

Let's assume there's two expansion teams:

My hope would be that those teams would see more in Josh Bailey and Thomas Hickey (who I like) than they would in Matt Martin or Cal Clutterbuck. Unless Ryan Strome knocks next year out of the park, he may have to be traded so he's not lost for nothing in the expansion draft. Ryan Pulock might have to be sent down to Bridgeport real soon, and I would hope he understands that it's a business move, not based on his performance. However, with that said, he has still done little to convince me that he's ready for the NHL right now. He hasn't been horrible by any means, but he just needs some more practice.

GiveDWrightskates

Jul 9, 2007
Oslo
If this is the roster we have to protect, this is who I'm protecting:

- John Tavares
- Brock Nelson
- Frans Nielsen
- Casey Cizikas
- Nick Leddy
- Johnny Boycuck
- Travis Hamonic
- Calvin de Haan

Let's assume there's two expansion teams:

My hope would be that those teams would see more in Josh Bailey and Thomas Hickey (who I like) than they would in Matt Martin or Cal Clutterbuck. Unless Ryan Strome knocks next year out of the park, he may have to be traded so he's not lost for nothing in the expansion draft. Ryan Pulock might have to be sent down to Bridgeport real soon, and I would hope he understands that it's a business move, not based on his performance. However, with that said, he has still done little to convince me that he's ready for the NHL right now. He hasn't been horrible by any means, but he just needs some more practice.

You would protect Cizikas over Strome? :help:

Also, as others have mentioned, the AHL apparently counts as "pros" for expansion draft purposes, so sending Pulock down does nothing to protect him from being picked.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
If this is the roster we have to protect, this is who I'm protecting:

- John Tavares
- Brock Nelson
- Frans Nielsen
- Casey Cizikas
- Nick Leddy
- Johnny Boycuck
- Travis Hamonic
- Calvin de Haan

Solid D-men are hard to come by, so my list would be:

Boychuk
Leddy
DeHaan
Pulock
Tavares
Clutterbuck
Okposo (we need to sign him, else sub Nelson here)
Nielsen

Also, if we can only protect one goalie, it would not surprise me if it was Berube, based on his age, AHL performance, NHL performance if it continues, and the fact that Halak is getting older and is injury prone.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
If we re-sign Nielsen we could leave him unprotected if Barzal looks like he can step up or if Strome rebounds.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There also some strategy involved. If I'm an expansion team I'm taking 22-23 year olds who are under team control for some time rather than take 30+ year olds with maybe just a couple of years remaining on contract.

Frans Neilsen will be 33 by the expansion draft. Would a team really want to invest in him not knowing how many more decent years he has left? Just using him as an example because of his age.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
There also some strategy involved. If I'm an expansion team I'm taking 22-23 year olds who are under team control for some time rather than take 30+ year olds with maybe just a couple of years remaining on contract.

Frans Neilsen will be 33 by the expansion draft. Would a team really want to invest in him not knowing how many more decent years he has left? Just using him as an example because of his age.

True but you also want a healthy mix of vets and youngsters.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
How fun would it be, to be a GM or have input on plucking players. Go through each roster that isn't protected and build your team. I'd love it.

Unfortunately one of the top 4 D is gone. I heard they are still figuring out NMC and how to handle them. If so, Boychuck by then is on the second half of his high salaried contract. It might not be the wisest thing to protect him. You might lose a year or two of a productive JB. But after that not so much right?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
This gives Garth incentive to move Hamonic for futures/ younger protected players . It may set us back initially but so would losing a solid roster player and getting absolutely no return. He's got to consider this before he sells on Travis.

Still, there are going to be plenty casualties to this. If each team can protect 3D, you assume the ' best' 90 defenseman are off the table. Now the Las Vegas Black n Milds have to build a blueline out of the remaining unprotected players, still a decent crop to choose from.

Too bad the league hasn't figured out any alternatives to leveling the playing ground. If they want the team to compete immediately give big name UFA's incentive to sign with said expansion team or give the expansion team right to negotiate with UFAs before the rest of the league.

IMO, gutting the depth of teams throughout the league dilutes the talent level. For the 20 players taken in the draft, 20 new guys have to fill those roster roles throughout the league, whether those guys are ready or not or even as talented remains to be seen. Likely, bottom 6 experienced guys get promotions and AHL talent get call ups.

What is the max number of players a team can lose? I hope not more than 1.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You would protect Cizikas over Strome? :help:

Also, as others have mentioned, the AHL apparently counts as "pros" for expansion draft purposes, so sending Pulock down does nothing to protect him from being picked.

Would Pulock have enough service time to qualify for the draft? I thought you had to be in the league 3 years or so.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is Pulocks 2nd pro season. We would have to protect him.

While it's Pulock's 2nd pro season, it's the 1st year of his ELC. He's a rare case of his ELC sliding for the 2nd time last year despite being in the AHL. He's got 2 more years of his ELC next year, he essentially had a 4 year ELC. I wonder if that's considered in all of this.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Another catch no one really has mentioned who is a UFA for us after next season because obviously you can probably leave those guys unprotected because you have to think he's not getting picked up by any expansion team

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
While it's Pulock's 2nd pro season, it's the 1st year of his ELC. He's a rare case of his ELC sliding for the 2nd time last year despite being in the AHL. He's got 2 more years of his ELC next year, he essentially had a 4 year ELC. I wonder if that's considered in all of this.

How the hell did we get away with that?

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Do you think the GMs or owners will even agree to expansion with restrictions like this? I can't see them doing it. And the other question is if you had to chose between Pulock and CdH, who do you leave unprotected?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
You guys are high if you think they'd protect Boychuk. We're 2 years away from that contract looking like a big-time albatross. And you'd protect him over Hamonic/Pulock? If our roster is the same come expansion I protect

Tavares, Strome, Nelson, Lee
Hamonc, Leddy, CDH, Pulock

Halak

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You guys are high if you think they'd protect Boychuk. We're 2 years away from that contract looking like a big-time albatross. And you'd protect him over Hamonic/Pulock? If our roster is the same come expansion I protect

Halak

They definitely won't protect Boychuk, I'm fairly confident of that, he'd have 4 years left on the deal if I'm right after next season. Odds are neither expansion team would pick up that contract either but you never can be sure

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Halak

Snow has been extremely stingy with NTCs, unlike other teams who seemingly hand them out to everybody. As of right now, only three players on the squad have NTCs: Boychuk, Tavares (in the last two years of his deal), and Zidlicky.

Now, if the rule comes out that all players with NTCs must be protected, then we're going to be forced to protect him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad