Speculation: Expansion Draft

BroadwayJay*

Canadian media is reporting that the expansion draft would LIKELY allow teams to protect 3D, 7F, 1G and only one player can be selected from each team per expansion team.

Also, 1st yr and 2nd yr pros ineligible; 3d year ELC players ELIGIBLE for selection

players with NMC would have to be protected (lolstaal lolgirardi)

Have at it.

Mod Edit; Link to article:http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14987657

Last edited by a moderator:

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Have at it, as in if it happens tomorrow? How many years are we away from it?

BroadwayJay*

Have at it, as in if it happens tomorrow? How many years are we away from it?

Hasn't it always been "as soon as '16-17"? That would be something wouldn't it?

Does anyone remember how much notice there was last expansion?

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Hasn't it always been "as soon as '16-17"? That would be something wouldn't it?

Does anyone remember how much notice there was last expansion?
Really? I must have been living under a rock.

I thought 17-18, but I'm not sure where I heard it.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Canadian media is reporting that the expansion draft would LIKELY allow teams to protect 3D, 7F, 1G and only one player can be selected from each team per expansion team.

Also, 1st yr and 2nd yr pros ineligible; 3d year ELC players ELIGIBLE for selection

Have at it.

i had questions about no movement clauses. the article on tsn made no mention of that. also of note is the idea of protecting 3d, 7f, 1g OR 8 skaters and one goalie.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-presents-potential-expansion-draft-plans-1.454239

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Calvin gone...

These expansion draft rules are a joke. Bettman has said he doesn't want it like previous expansion drafts in that he wants any new team to be very competitive right away. Any city should be happy they have a team and also build from the ground up just like we did. Like Toronto now has to do. I have no problem if you give an expansion team the 1st overall pick, but to simply give them 20 good NHL level players who other teams drafted, developed, and/or traded other good assets for is a joke. Just horrible.

That said based on our current team it's most likely that Calvin deHaan is selected and we lose him for nothing.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc

Have at it.

JT, Strome, Nelson, Lee, Nielsen (assume resigned), Clutterbuck, Cizikas

Hammer, Leddy, de Haan--3 D seems like very few...would hope it would be 4....tough to leave boychuk out there, but i think i would have to under these 3

Halak

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
For fun if the draft is next off-season

Halak

Hamonic
Leddy
De Haan

Tavares
Nelson
Strome
Clutterbuck
Lee
Okposo if re-signed if not Cizikas
Nielsen if not resigned Bailey

Boychuk might be an anchor in 2-3 years with his contract and style of play

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
These expansion draft rules are a joke. Bettman has said he doesn't want it like previous expansion drafts in that he wants any new team to be very competitive right away. Any city should be happy they have a team and also build from the ground up just like we did. Like Toronto now has to do. I have no problem if you give an expansion team the 1st overall pick, but to simply give them 20 good NHL level players who other teams drafted, developed, and/or traded other good assets for is a joke. Just horrible.

That said based on our current team it's most likely that Calvin deHaan is selected and we lose him for nothing.

I'd protect him, Leddy, and Boychuck. Hamonic wants out anyway.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
JT, Strome, Nelson, Lee, Nielsen (assume resigned), Clutterbuck, Cizikas

Hammer, Leddy, de Haan--3 D seems like very few...would hope it would be 4....tough to leave boychuk out there, but i think i would have to under these 3

Halak

According to Jay's post, we're obligated to protect Boychuck because of his NMC.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
According to Jay's post, we're obligated to protect Boychuck because of his NMC.

hmm then id protect boychuk leddy and hamonic.....you have to keep hamonic as he has the most value.....we still need to get that return from him if were gonna lose him

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'd protect him, Leddy, and Boychuck. Hamonic wants out anyway.

Uhhhh...So you either...

1. Want to let Hamonic get taken in the expansion draft
2. Trade Hamonic first and leave the player we get back exposed for the draft

Good plan.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
hmm then id protect boychuk leddy and hamonic.....you have to keep hamonic as he has the most value.....we still need to get that return from him if were gonna lose him

There's really only 4 teams that we could trade him to that would satisfy his request. I don't see how we're getting good value for him with that being the case (not because of the public request, but because of what those teams have to offer in return). I think I'd consider exposing him and making that request some other team's problem.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
There's really only 4 teams that we could trade him to that would satisfy his request. I don't see how we're getting good value for him with that being the case. I think I'd consider exposing him and making that request some other team's problem.

i disagree...you cannot lose hamonic for nothing

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
There's really only 4 teams that we could trade him to that would satisfy his request. I don't see how we're getting good value for him with that being the case. I think I'd consider exposing him and making that request some other team's problem.

So you would want to give away a top pairing dman for free? Even if they don't get good value for him they would still get something back for him rather than giving him away for free

Spybot

May 12, 2014

@NicholsOnHockey
Dreger: "They want to make sure that they're able to go through a full-year cycle" before any possible expansion draft.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Uhhhh...So you either...

1. Want to let Hamonic get taken in the expansion draft
2. Trade Hamonic first and leave the player we get back exposed for the draft

Good plan.

See the above post. Are we going to get good value for him from the four or so teams we can move him to in order to meet his request? Will his humble request start to become more of a team distracting demand in the future?

Hamonic is my favorite Islander, but it might be worth considering getting ourselves away from the trade request issue. Let Quebec/Vegas worry about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad