Speculation: Expansion Draft

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'm trying to circumvent the process the best way I can :laugh:

Also, I feel like Nielsen is the one guy that is unselfish enough to do this.

Pay him like 6.5 for 1 year and then sign him to a 4-5 year deal around 5 mil after the draft?

4-5x5 for Nielsen in 2 years would be an awful contract

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
If I remember previous expansions, there were some funky trades happening as well. Isn't that how Healy ended up on the Rangers?

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
If I remember previous expansions, there were some funky trades happening as well. Isn't that how Healy ended up on the Rangers?

Yes, sort of. Healy was traded to NYR from after the draft (after being drafted twice - first by Anaheim and then in the second phase, TB drafted him), but I recall there was some hinkiness to the trade we made with Quebec for Hextall that allowed some exposure circumvention (I think on Quebec's part)...

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Yes, sort of. Healy was traded to NYR from after the draft (after being drafted twice - first by Anaheim and then in the second phase, TB drafted him), but I recall there was some hinkiness to the trade we made with Quebec for Hextall that allowed some exposure circumvention (I think on Quebec's part)...

I have to imagine a lot of teams would be willing to give up draft picks to protect a young asset, back-up/future goalie or Top 4 defenseman. This was done by the sharks in the 90's who gave up draft picks in return for Nabakov not being selected in the expansion draft.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I think the way the expansion draft is done, makes sense for the league but is brutal for the existing teams. You could potentially have a first year team in the playoffs. there is going to be a great deal of quality players available. Would be great for the league if a new market team made the playoffs in their first year. Sucks for the existing teams though, who could potentially be set back by losing players that they may have been counting on.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

There has always been a rumor that we were about to get Healy back from Tampa but their GM got angry with Maloney for repeatedly putting him on hold and not getting back to him regarding the deal so he went and shipped him to the Rangers. I've heard the story over the years more than a few times so I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to it

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
So long Thomas Hickey!!!!!

Ill drive him wherever he goes

Why should a team pick him when there will be better opportunities even on the Isles. Hickey's contract is heavy backloaded, 3.1M in his last year.

Also because of expansion the cap will go down over 6% which is much. Expansion teams might only draft bargain contracts and have a big advantage in future years.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
There has always been a rumor that we were about to get Healy back from Tampa but their GM got angry with Maloney for repeatedly putting him on hold and not getting back to him regarding the deal so he went and shipped him to the Rangers. I've heard the story over the years more than a few times so I wouldn't be surprised if there is some truth to it

Maloney was an abject failure on so many levels. I seem to recall rumors of this myself. However I would have to imagine that they would have had Healy back in a backup role to Hextall, which I think would have gone over like a lead balloon with both Healy and fans. Though it still would have been better than Healy on the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad