Expansion draft prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Tried doing a mock expansion draft on generalfanager. Accidentally hit backspace which took me back to google and erased everything. Bye 35 minutes I'll never get back.
Yeah, accidentally clicked on a player after having done all 30 teams... no idea why there's no way to save the progress.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Too early, until final lists are made about who is protected and who is not. you cant.

Frogger009

May 26, 2016
I played with the expansion tool, here is the result. Probably will look a whole lot different and maybe not many of these players will be taken, but at least the roster reflects the overall ability of the team.

Perron - Fisher - D. Brown
Beleskey - Eller - Frolik
Kulemin - Sheahan - Weise
Chimera - Letestu - Stafford
Purcell

Martin - Methot
Scandella - Savard
Dumoulin - Klein
Merrill

Elliott
Niemi
Markström

prospects

Namestnikov
C. Brown
Laughton
Zadorov
C. Murphy
Jordan

Markstrom is pretty much guaranteed to be protected.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Pouliot - Namestnikov - Dano (RFA)
Spooner (RFA) - Lee - Pulkkinen (RFA)
Markus Granlund - Berglund (UFA) - Jarnkrok
Shinkaruk - Kruger - Smith-Pelly
Marchessault - W. Karlsson - Di Giuseppe (RFA)
Carr - Samuelsson (RFA)

Methot - Hamhuis
Scandella - Despres
Kulikov (UFA) - Del Zotto (UFA)
Schlemko - McNabb
Marincin - Pouliot (RFA)

Varlamov
Raanta
Grubauer (RFA)

Cap-hit: $48,609,166

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Please Las Vegas take either one of Howard or Ericsson from us, Signed disgruntle Wing fans.
I'm pretty interested in what will the teams like Tampa, Dallas, Pittsburgh or Detroit do with their goalies. Will they trade them? Left them unprotected? 'Cause one of them would surely lose that one unprotected goalie, be it Bishop, or Murray/Fleury, or Niemi/Lehtonen, or Howard.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I played with the expansion tool, here is the result. Probably will look a whole lot different and maybe not many of these players will be taken, but at least the roster reflects the overall ability of the team.

Perron - Fisher - D. Brown
Beleskey - Eller - Frolik
Kulemin - Sheahan - Weise
Chimera - Letestu - Stafford
Purcell

Martin - Methot
Scandella - Savard
Dumoulin - Klein
Merrill

Elliott
Niemi
Markström

prospects

Namestnikov
C. Brown
Laughton
Zadorov
C. Murphy
Jordan

I don't think Frolik will be exposed. Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Backlund, Frolik, Brouwer, and either Shinkaruk or Ferland will likely be the 7 they protect.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Pouliot - Namestnikov - Dano (RFA)
Spooner (RFA) - Lee - Pulkkinen (RFA)
Markus Granlund - Berglund (UFA) - Jarnkrok
Shinkaruk - Kruger - Smith-Pelly
Marchessault - W. Karlsson - Di Giuseppe (RFA)
Carr - Samuelsson (RFA)

Methot - Hamhuis
Scandella - Despres
Kulikov (UFA) - Del Zotto (UFA)
Schlemko - McNabb
Marincin - Pouliot (RFA)

Varlamov
Raanta
Grubauer (RFA)

Cap-hit: $48,609,166

The cap floor should be around 54M again, we really need to take some expensive guys.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The cap floor should be around 54M again, we really need to take some expensive guys.

We just have to draft 60% of the cap, which is about $44MM if it's close to this year's cap. We can do anything with it after that to hit the floor, I think it really opens us up to some decent UFAs if we can get our hands on them. Hitting the floor should be pretty easy once we start dipping into the free agent pool.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
We just have to draft 60% of the cap, which is about $44MM if it's close to this year's cap. We can do anything with it after that to hit the floor, I think it really opens us up to some decent UFAs if we can get our hands on them. Hitting the floor should be pretty easy once we start dipping into the free agent pool.

Yes that sounds good, I agree, we should overpay for guys we want to overpay for.
Which forwards will be UFA?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Howard for 2 more years at over 5M might not be a good draft when there will be much better goalies available. You need to add a lot :)

This will be fun .....

Doubt that there will be much better Goalies then Howard available, The only Goalie that i see better then Howard being available at the draft is MAF. And he will cost more and start to regress as well.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
Avs will have to let one of Varly or Pickard be eligible. I don't see LV not picking a goalie from Col if they don't trade one.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Avs will have to let one of Varly or Pickard be eligible. I don't see LV not picking a goalie from Col if they don't trade one.

I wouldn't want Varlamov, we just have to take 3G. Goalies will be the easiest to get, we might get a good goalie as a UFA too (Mason, Neuvirth, Greiss, Elliott).
Most difficult might be forwards since most teams will protect 7F 3D 1G. Interesting will be the teams which protect only 8F/D 1G.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
I wouldn't want Varlamov, we just have to take 3G. Goalies will be the easiest to get, we might get a good goalie as a UFA too (Mason, Neuvirth, Greiss, Elliott).
Most difficult might be forwards since most teams will protect 7F 3D 1G. Interesting will be the teams which protect only 8F/D 1G.

Yeah, but Varlamov is better than them. Who else are you taking from the Avs?

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I'm pretty interested in what will the teams like Tampa, Dallas, Pittsburgh or Detroit do with their goalies. Will they trade them? Left them unprotected? 'Cause one of them would surely lose that one unprotected goalie, be it Bishop, or Murray/Fleury, or Niemi/Lehtonen, or Howard.

Well you can bet your house that Tampa will trade Bishop. I don't know the market for the others but there's probably a team that would like to upgrade to Fleury. Injuries will unfortunately play a role as well.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Seriously you would put those guys in the class of Varlamov? Maybe Elliott, but the others are backup material. Varlamov is a top 10 goalie playing for a team with a poor defense. If I am the Avs I let Pickard go, he's going to have to be paid a lot more soon anyways.

I think the other goalies the speculation is the same. Maybe Bishop has to get traded on value, but really is Fleury a big upgrade over most starters in the league? Same for Howard. High paid average goalies who are living off past reputation.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Seriously you would put those guys in the class of Varlamov? Maybe Elliott, but the others are backup material. Varlamov is a top 10 goalie playing for a team with a poor defense.

Last season Varlamov played 10 games till Nov05 with .890 save pct. Then he was injured till Nov22. Was it a groin injury? Seems he wasn't prepared well for the season.
Then played 47 games till the end of the season with .918.
That wasn't very special, couldn't reach Reimer on a bad Leafs team. Maybe those 57 games were too much for him but I wouldn't pay over 5M for that. He couldn't reach your backups Mason, Neuvirth, Greiss and Elliott either.
No reason to draft Varlamov.

nhl.com EVsave% regular season with more than 30 games played:
#1 .938 Reimer
#4 .934 Elliott
#6 .933 Greiss
#9 .932 Mason
#12 .930 Neuvirth
#19 .926 Johnson on a bad BUF team
#26 .923 Varlamov
If you search for save% Varlamov is even worse, only #29.

Last edited:

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
Last season Varlamov played 10 games till Nov05 with .890 save pct. Then he was injured till Nov22. Was it a groin injury? Seems he wasn't prepared well for the season.
Then played 47 games till the end of the season with .918.
That wasn't very special, couldn't reach Reimer on a bad Leafs team. Maybe those 57 games were too much for him but I wouldn't pay over 5M for that. He couldn't reach your backups Mason, Neuvirth, Greiss and Elliott either.
No reason to draft Varlamov.

nhl.com EVsave% regular season with more than 30 games played:
#1 .938 Reimer
#4 .934 Elliott
#6 .933 Greiss
#9 .932 Mason
#12 .930 Neuvirth
#19 .926 Johnson on a bad BUF team
#26 .923 Varlamov
If you search for save% Varlamov is even worse, only #29.

Based on this, I'm just gonna assume you've never watched Varlamov play before. And not spend money on a goalie? In this thread people are talking about taking Brown to get to the cap floor...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Based on this, I'm just gonna assume you've never watched Varlamov play before. And not spend money on a goalie? In this thread people are talking about taking Brown to get to the cap floor...

COL can protect him.
Reaching the cap floor won't be a problem. We could trade for some bad contracts and get additional picks, so why wasting money in the draft. We just have to draft 44M, 1.5M avg per player and in July we can overpay for UFA.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I definitely think that, within reason, they should be looking for best value-per-dollar. As others have said, use the UFA market and trade for bad contracts to get to the cap floor. Don't waste expansion draft opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad