Expansion Draft III (Info in post #1, event held June 21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Here's my first crack at a Vegas team with the real protection lists again. I have Anaheim taking Kerdiles due to their deal. Vancouver and Edmonton have straight garbage to pick from.

15 forwards + Shipachyov, 10 dmen and 5 goalies, but Ullmark is waiver exempt so he can go to the AHL. Cap hit is $61.5M.

Wilson-Shipachyov-Smith
Perron-Karlsson-Stempniak
Lewis-Eakin-Brouwer
Raffl-Kruger-Dano
(Burmistrov(RFA), Chaput (RFA), Kerdiles, Khaira)

Methot-Martin
De Haan-Dumba
Davidson-McQuaid
Ouelett-Dotchin
Marincin-Merrill

MAF
Raanta
Grubauer
Pickard
Ullmark

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
With the quality of goalies available, I wonder why Vegas would do Pittsburgh a favour by taking Fleury. Need a pretty good sweetener, methinks, either from the Pens to take him or from another team not to take Mrazek/Grubauer/Raanta.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
With the quality of goalies available, I wonder why Vegas would do Pittsburgh a favour by taking Fleury. Need a pretty good sweetener, methinks, either from the Pens to take him or from another team not to take Mrazek/Grubauer/Raanta.
It's moronic, but it's believed that McPhee wants him.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It's weird how Fleury is almost discussed as the best option, he played well, but I don't think he's the best goalie on the board for them.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
My guess is Vegas takes Weise. Would not be my first choice but will provide a level of toughness think Mcphee likes. If Vegas wants picks for Raanta or Grubauer. 2nd at most.

UFA Goalie for me is Mason first or Peter Budaj 2nd. Really like how Budaj rebounded last year on a 2 year deal similar to Neuvy. Big Budaj fan.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wonder if Vegas hoodwinked anyone like telling Minny they'd take a forst to not take Dumba or Scandella and they they just are like, "Psyche!!!" and they take one.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Everyone puts him in the Vegas line up because it's been heavily rumored that McPhee wants him. Mrazek being unprotected is a surprise, so maybe that changes things (I doubt it).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If Vegas takes 6-7 bad players for 1st rounders, they will be a lot worse than the NHL was really hoping. Unless they just cut those players and put somebody else there.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
With the abundance of pretty good goalies for them to select from, almost all of which are much younger than MAF, I think it'd be pretty stupid of them to not take Rust instead.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I'd pass on Budaj. 35, caught lightning in a bottle on the best defensive team in the league last year. Says a little something about him that LA decided to add Bishop at the deadline.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

A couple of things to say about recent NHL goings on and this gets at one of them. How do you evaluate players on Pittsburgh's roster. If the guys aren't playing with Pittsburgh's stars and getting preferential treatment from the officials, how good are they?
A season for goalies, there is such a glut of them on the market and none of them have really distinguished themselves as being heads and shoulders better than the others, there's no reason to over pay to acquire them or pay them salary wise.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If Vegas takes 6-7 bad players for 1st rounders, they will be a lot worse than the NHL was really hoping. Unless they just cut those players and put somebody else there.

That's what I've been thinking and it kind of defeats the purpose of an expansion draft. In the long run, punting the 1st few seasons and loading up on draft picks is the best way to build a contender but the product on the ice may suffer and you wonder what it does to the fan base.

A lot of rumors though. We'll see what happens Wednesday.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Here's my mock:

Cammalleri-Shipachyov-Neal (If NSH Doesn't make a deal)
Pouliot-Nelson-Marchessault
Raffl-Boyle-Hayes

Extras: Bouma, Dano, Kerdiles, Ward

Hamhuis-Methot
Sbisa-Dumba
McNabb-Schmidt

Extras: Connauton, TVR, Koekkeok, Nesterov

Goalies: MAF, Pickard, Raanta, Mrazek, Ullmark

Some of these teams, I did not know where to go.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
A couple of things to say about recent NHL goings on and this gets at one of them. How do you evaluate players on Pittsburgh's roster. If the guys aren't playing with Pittsburgh's stars and getting preferential treatment from the officials, how good are they?
A season for goalies, there is such a glut of them on the market and none of them have really distinguished themselves as being heads and shoulders better than the others, there's no reason to over pay to acquire them or pay them salary wise.

I'd be fine with paying a cheap price (like a 3rd or later and a topper) to Vegas for a guy like Raanta or Pickard. When it comes to paying more than that for anybody in a trade, I'm fine with just waiting it out and platooning Stolarz with another goalie that can split starts at the least or be a stop-gap at the most. No reason to waste a considerable asset on the most oversaturated and cheapest position in the league to acquire. Especially when we already have one goalie who could be ready for all we know and several others who look really promising as prospects. Still probably at least a year away from seriously competing even if we had a goalie.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Here's my mock:

Cammalleri-Shipachyov-Neal (If NSH Doesn't make a deal)
Pouliot-Nelson-Marchessault
Raffl-Boyle-Hayes

Extras: Bouma, Dano, Kerdiles, Ward

Hamhuis-Methot
Sbisa-Dumba
McNabb-Schmidt

Extras: Connauton, TVR, Koekkeok, Nesterov

Goalies: MAF, Pickard, Raanta, Mrazek, Ullmark

Some of these teams, I did not know where to go.

I don't know how anyone can look at Dallas' list and not pick Eakin, honestly. Especially with the weak center pool Vegas has to pick from. Again with Pittsburgh, I get there's rumours saying they want Fleury, but I also don't know how picking Rust isn't smarter with the absolute glut of goalies for them to pick.

Yeah, there's a lot of teams I was just like "who the **** do I even pick here?". They'll probably sign some free agents between now and Wednesday too, in which case things will look completely different. Some teams where the best player available is probably a free agent (Radulov, Oshie, Mason, etc.).

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I don't know how anyone can look at Dallas' list and not pick Eakin, honestly. Especially with the weak center pool Vegas has to pick from. Again with Pittsburgh, I get there's rumours saying they want Fleury, but I also don't know how picking Rust isn't smarter with the absolute glut of goalies for them to pick.

Yeah, there's a lot of teams I was just like "who the **** do I even pick here?". They'll probably sign some free agents between now and Wednesday too, in which case things will look completely different. Some teams where the best player available is probably a free agent (Radulov, Oshie, Mason, etc.).

Totally agree on Pittsburgh. You could even go Ian Cole or Hagelin. With so many goalie choices, I don't get why its dead set on MAF, but my mock was more what I thought they would do, and I just think they will take MAF

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Eakin had 3 goals, 12 points in 60 games last year.

His game fell off a cliff.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I feel like Garry will call Vegas and tell them that they have to take MAF

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
My guess is Vegas takes Weise. Would not be my first choice but will provide a level of toughness think Mcphee likes. If Vegas wants picks for Raanta or Grubauer. 2nd at most.

UFA Goalie for me is Mason first or Peter Budaj 2nd. Really like how Budaj rebounded last year on a 2 year deal similar to Neuvy. Big Budaj fan.

Budaj, really? Are you trying to compete with Carchidi and Kinkaid?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Mrazek is the only guy I would give up something fairly significant for. The Grubauers, Pickards, and Raantas of the world are intriguing but I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for them. If it comes down to giving up a serious asset or assets for someone like that I would just sign Bernier.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mrazek is the only guy I would give up something fairly significant for. The Grubauers, Pickards, and Raantas of the world are intriguing but I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd for them. If it comes down to giving up a serious asset or assets for someone like that I would just sign Bernier.

All 3 of them would rightfully fetch more than just a 3rd.

The Talbot to Edmonton deal is a good comparable. It was a 2nd, 3rd and 7th heading back to NYR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad