Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Nope, but I can say I'm not sure. Because I don't know and no one that I trust in hockey insider circles has provided any evidence.

None of the stuff you posted is proof, or anything close to it, it's speculation. If you think they were shopped, that's awesome, it's interesting to read your conjecture. I just don't like to see definitive statements saying they were absolutely shopped and anyone saying otherwise is wrong, like you've written above.
They’ve absolutely been shopped. They’re 8 million dollar players left unprotected in an expansion draft. Think about that for a second.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
you go ahead and find me reports of just 50% of the trades poile has completed in the past 3 years and I’ll Venmo you a $1,000. Good luck.

it’s like you woke up at midnight and just wanted to argue. Johansen and Duchene have been shopped and will continued to be shopped. At the end of summer, I’m sure more reports will surface if they are both on the team.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
They’ve absolutely been shopped. They’re 8 million dollar players left unprotected in an expansion draft. Think about that for a second.

As as I said, it's awesome that you think so. I haven't seen any proof and I'm not connected to anyone in the org, so I'll personally stay away from statements like "this absolutely has or hasn't happened", but more power to you. Good talk

you go ahead and find me reports of just 50% of the trades poile has completed in the past 3 years and I’ll Venmo you a $1,000. Good luck.

it’s like you woke up at midnight and just wanted to argue. Johansen and Duchene have been shopped and will continued to be shopped. At the end of summer, I’m sure more reports will surface if they are both on the team.

So if I can't find leaked information from prior trades then your random speculation here is certainly correct? Well, I suppose you've bested me then. Congrats

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
As as I said, it's awesome that you think so. I haven't seen any proof and I'm not connected to anyone in the org, so I'll personally stay away from statements like "this absolutely has or hasn't happened", but more power to you. Good talk
As as as as I said, find me just 50% of the trades completed that were reported or rumored and I will personally Venmo you a 1,000. It may help you since you have nothing better to do than quarrel about something rather obvious.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
As as as as I said, find me just 50% of the trades completed that were reported or rumored and I will personally Venmo you a 1,000. It may help you since you have nothing better to do than quarrel about something rather obvious.

I can't find anything logically wrong with your argument here. I doubt I can find leaks for half of Poile's trades, therefore what you've said is most certainly true. You've put me in a box here, I submit.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I can't find anything logically wrong with your argument here. I doubt I can find leaks for half of Poile's trades, therefore what you've said is most certainly true. You've put me in a box here, I submit.
You asked for reports of them being shopped. I obliged. TFP sucks. Not good enough.

You asked for reasoning. I obliged. They are both overpaid and could have been had for free. again, for free.

I ask for you to show me just half of any moves poile has made that was reported through leaks. You do not oblige because we both know poile is extremely tight lipped.

what else Mr. 86?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Huh, I was wrong. Seattle after the draft looks like a huge disappointment.

Our team looks a lot better but who knows if the deals announced later today will change that. Probably won't, but goddamn Francis seemed to not go for BPA at all.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
You asked for reports of them being shopped. I obliged. TFP sucks. Not good enough.

Technically you provided a report that Johansen was shopped. If TFP is good enough for you, then you're right and you've been vindicated (in the case of Johansen). Congrats.

You asked for reasoning. I obliged. They are both overpaid and could have been had for free. again, for free.

I never asked for reasoning, I asked for proof or concrete evidence. I said it was interesting to read your conjecture and it is. It's not much fun to read statements that say "anyone that says otherwise is wrong" with no proof.

I ask for you to show me just half of any moves poile has made that was reported through leaks. You do not oblige because we both know poile is extremely tight lipped.

I agree Poile is "tight lipped". What purpose does that serve in your argument? It seems you are saying Poile doesn't leak information, I can't find proof, therefore I'm correct. You don't see an error here?

what else Mr. 86?

Proof. If you're going to say things like "this absolutely happened, anyone that disagrees is wrong". If you just wanna speculate then be my guest, it's fun and pretty much the purpose of this site.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Do I think Poile may have tried to move one or the other if not both? Absolutely. Do we know to whom or how far that got? Absolutely not.

I think it's entirely possible that it could have only been Joey being he was part of the core just like Arvy and Ellis.

When jumping into speculation though you also must remember that Arvy wanted out. Poile moved him partially because of that just like he did with Erat. My guess is Poile hoped to move him later, but once Fancis said he would be the pick Poile got what he could.

Ellis I think was more about getting rid of him because of play and attitude, he got a good offer and took it. Ellis never bought in and I think more than anything that is what got him moved.

After the picks tonight I now understand why Poile protected Jeanot. No doubt in my mind that is who Francis was after initially.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Technically you provided a report that Johansen was shopped. If TFP is good enough for you, then you're right and you've been vindicated (in the case of Johansen). Congrats.

I never asked for reasoning, I asked for proof or concrete evidence. I said it was interesting to read your conjecture and it is. It's not much fun to read statements that say "anyone that says otherwise is wrong" with no proof.

I agree Poile is "tight lipped". What purpose does that serve in your argument? It seems you are saying Poile doesn't leak information, I can't find proof, therefore I'm correct. You don't see an error here?

Proof. If you're going to say things like "this absolutely happened, anyone that disagrees is wrong". If you just wanna speculate then be my guest, it's fun and pretty much the purpose of this site.
I really hope you got what you were going for kid.

TK

Feb 26, 2019

Looks like lots of people also noticed that Johansen and Duchene are overpaid. I noticed that too. Seems like lots of people think the Preds might want to try to trade them, I've thought that too. I don't see any proof that they were shopped. I don't have a problem with any of your thoughts on the matter, I probably share most if not all of them. Despite the many times I've reiterated it, you've "missed the boat". I have a problem stating things as absolute fact without proof.

I really hope you got what you were going for kid.

It's always interesting to me when people take stances like this and say things like the above and "since you have nothing better to do than quarrel..." when they have engaged in literally the EXACT same behavior they are trying to mock and belittle.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
After the picks tonight I now understand why Poile protected Jeanot. No doubt in my mind that is who Francis was after initially.

You might be dead-on there. Jeannot does seem to fit the mold of the team he assembled.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
The 31 Thoughts Podcast mentioned that Poile was trying to move Duchene and Johansen for whatever it's worth.
My issue with most of the statements is they are based off speculation with no real evidence, generally not anymore than any of us have hear. Most of them I've read have been nothing more than, not protected + high contracts = being shopped around the league. Now them being shopped may indeed be true, but that isn't insider information, that's just having half a brain and guessing.

Reactions: originalpredfan

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Don't you all think it's reasonable to assume that when Poile knew he was going to leave Joey and Duchene he would try and trade them?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Don't you all think it's reasonable to assume that when Poile knew he was going to leave Joey and Duchene he would try and trade them?
Well everyone assumed he was trying to trade Ekholm last year too but it didn't happen. The thing is though alot of these media guys don't really have anymore info than we do, they just get to the same conclusions we do because of doing the math just like we do.

I kind of think most of what we've heard around Joey and Duchene is just exactly that. There is a big difference in " I've been told" and " I think ". Problem is some of these guys don't really make much of a delineation between the two.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
My issue with most of the statements is they are based off speculation with no real evidence, generally not anymore than any of us have hear. Most of them I've read have been nothing more than, not protected + high contracts = being shopped around the league. Now them being shopped may indeed be true, but that isn't insider information, that's just having half a brain and guessing.

What's the point of NHL insiders then? Not disagreeing per se, but they are actual insiders with usually pretty good sources.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So am I right in understanding that any "sweetener" deals will be announced today? Cuz with the players not taken yesterday I'd expect quite a few.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So am I right in understanding that any "sweetener" deals will be announced today? Cuz with the players not taken yesterday I'd expect quite a few.

Capfriendly tweeted they made no trades prior to the expansion draft so I think that was it. I get not taking all of the risky contracts but I am quite surprised they didn’t bite on any of them.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Capfriendly tweeted they made no trades prior to the expansion draft so I think that was it. I get not taking all of the risky contracts but I am quite surprised they didn’t bite on any of them.
And this fact colors the "Johansen and Duchene" debate somewhat differently.

Instead of assuming Poile is hellbent to get rid of those two, what if Francis showed his cards to the other NHL GMs? What if the "green light to spend" was a last minute smokescreen? What if most GMs knew beforehand that Francis was going to bargain bin dive and was going to go with younger players and manageable contracts only?

If that were the case, you might "risk" putting the veteran Vezina and Hart winning goalie on a big dollar contract who carried your team to the Cup finals this year on the unprotected list, knowing that contract effectively means he's protected either way. You'd do that to protect your backup goalie, who might have the experience and contract that Francis was salivating over.

Same thing might go for another team who chooses to protect several unproven but promising prospects rather than "core" players, since they have a really strong sense that Francis is a "build through the draft" and conservative cap spender. That is what he was billed as before the expansion draft and now that the results are in there is little evidence to the contrary.

In the postmortem of the expansion draft, Francis only took 1 contract in $6M range and 2 others in the $5M range. Not one player more expensive than that. He took 11 contracts in the $1M range and under and 9 free agents, 7 of whom were RFA. This expansion draft was very thrifty.

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
And this fact colors the "Johansen and Duchene" debate somewhat differently.

Instead of assuming Poile is hellbent to get rid of those two, what if Francis showed his cards to the other NHL GMs? What if the "green light to spend" was a last minute smokescreen? What if most GMs knew beforehand that Francis was going to bargain bin dive and was going to go with younger players and manageable contracts only?

If that were the case, you might "risk" putting the veteran Vezina and Hart winning goalie on a big dollar contract who carried your team to the Cup finals this year on the unprotected list, knowing that contract effectively means he's protected either way. You'd do that to protect your backup goalie, who might have the experience and contract that Francis was salivating over.

Same thing might go for another team who chooses to protect several unproven but promising prospects rather than "core" players, since they have a really strong sense that Francis is a "build through the draft" and conservative cap spender. That is what he was billed as before the expansion draft and now that the results are in there is little evidence to the contrary.

In the postmortem of the expansion draft, Francis only took 1 contract in $6M range and 2 others in the $5M range. Not one player more expensive than that. He took 11 contracts in the $1M range and under and 9 free agents, 7 of whom were RFA. This expansion draft was very thrifty.
It's hard to imagine what he has up his sleeve if he didn't get any extra picks that can't be used as trade bait.
Maybe he's supremely confident that all of these player will flourish give that chance at more responsibility and this is what he's doing, simple as that.?.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

Trade moratorium lifts at noon central, should hear of any side deals then I believe.

Reactions: PredsV82

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It's hard to imagine what he has up his sleeve if he didn't get any extra picks that can't be used as trade bait.
Maybe he's supremely confident that all of these player will flourish give that chance at more responsibility and this is what he's doing, simple as that.?.
True, we don't know anything about subsequent deals. He may be planning on a "big splash" trade for a high contract after the draft, but that would necessarily be for someone that was protected, no? Otherwise, there is no need to make a deal at all.

Honestly, this roster doesn't look very impressive, and I have no idea what's up his sleeve either...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad