Exhibition: Aug 27 GDT - Russia vs. USA (0-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidrage*

Did Esche play 2 periods? Sounds like he did awesome.

I'm so glad Burke sucked.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
Anyonw knows if Andrei Markov played, if not why? Just going crazy when I catched the end of the game and heard that Kalinin and Tverdovsky were on the bleu line on a PP, also Petrov and Kovalenko at front... who's next Bashkirov? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Slick Nick said:
Anyonw knows if Andrei Markov played, if not why? Just going crazy when I catched the end of the game and heard that Kalinin and Tverdovsky were on the bleu line on a PP, also Petrov and Kovalenko at front... who's next Bashkirov? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I think he got hurt. From the sound of it, he was doing some stick work on Guerin, and Guerin retaliated with an elbow. I don't think he played after that.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
nomorekids said:
I think he got hurt. From the sound of it, he was doing some stick work on Guerin, and Guerin retaliated with an elbow. I don't think he played after that.

Guerin just punched Markov right in the face. He went down.

Samsonov played bigger then he is, but like most of Russia, he couldnt buy a shot on net, much less a goal.

Gonchar wasnt noticed, which is a good thing. He also fought Chris Drury.

Ovechkin, since this will be asked a lot, was a non factor, he took one bad penalty, and just seemed to float around a lot.

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Just got back from the game here's somethings i noticed:

Ovechkin dissapeared for most of the game, and i was looking for him.

A. Markov leaned right into an elbow from Guerin, he was down for a couple minutes and didn't return.

Kovalchuk suprised me by jumping back and playing defense, only to be hanging out at center ice as USA got a couple real good scoring chances the next play. He got a couple good shots off, but he, like most the Russian forwards, didn't stick out.

Esche looked real good during both periods he played.

Liles first goal was off a Guerin shot, the puck goes over the goalie and Liles bats it in when the puck is about three feet off the ice. Hulls goal was a one timer on the rush off a pass from Tkachuk.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
What the previous two posters didn't point out is that Ovechkin probably got about four minutes of ice time for the entire game because of all the power plays.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
HockeyMan9 said:
Just got back from the game here's somethings i noticed:

Ovechkin dissapeared for most of the game, and i was looking for him.

A. Markov leaned right into an elbow from Guerin, he was down for a couple minutes and didn't return.

Kovalchuk suprised me by jumping back and playing defense, only to be hanging out at center ice as USA got a couple real good scoring chances the next play. He got a couple good shots off, but he, like most the Russian forwards, didn't stick out.

Esche looked real good during both periods he played.

Liles first goal was off a Guerin shot, the puck goes over the goalie and Liles bats it in when the puck is about three feet off the ice. Hulls goal was a one timer on the rush off a pass from Tkachuk.

Leaned? That was a flagerent elbow by Guerin.

And Ozzie, did you watch the same game I did? 10 minutes sounds a lot better.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
Markov is being used as a cross-chek and elbow sack for the last two years. This guy took so many illegal and punishable hits, it's just pathetic. :shakehead

I hope he returns to Russia, because he´ll have a longer career there. The NHL refs are not doing their job to protect players, especially if they are European.

I hope Russia will have an unbiased referee in the World Cup, but I´m afraid it won´t happen. It will be 1987/1996 all over again. :banghead:

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Samkow said:
And Ozzie, did you watch the same game I did? 10 minutes sounds a lot better.

I saw him for a few shifts in the first and second periods each, and about 5 shifts in the third. All told, he probably played 4-7 minutes. No way he played 10 minutes.

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
I remember Zherdev's first few games with the CBJ and how even after escaping Russia and flying have way across the world, he did things that had me leaning forward in my seat. And I doubt he played more than 6-7 minutes in those games. Did not get that feeling from Ovechekin.

Also, with all of his talent, I did not understand why Russia did not have him on the powerplay. To me, it would seem like a great opportunity to let him shine.

Reilly311

Kronblom said:
Whos´s captain for Team USA? Leetch?

I don't think they've named one. I assume Chelios, but I think Leetch was captain in 96 so they might make him captain for good luck or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad