Exhibition: Aug 27 GDT - Russia vs. USA (0-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
cbjfan said:
I remember Zherdev's first few games with the CBJ and how even after escaping Russia and flying have way across the world, he did things that had me leaning forward in my seat. And I doubt he played more than 6-7 minutes in those games. Did not get that feeling from Ovechekin.

Also, with all of his talent, I did not understand why Russia did not have him on the powerplay. To me, it would seem like a great opportunity to let him shine.

Zherdev never made a World Cup Team. He played those minutes as a top 6 player in the NHL. Big difference.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Heading in to training camp I was hoping Dipietro would get the job. Although he has played well I think the U.S.'s best chance is with Esche in net. He just stood on his head last night. Tons of great saves. I also didn't think Ovechkin looked that bad last night. He really didn't play a lot after the first period. It's tough to break in when your playing against elite players of the NHL in your first game. Give him some time. He'll be solid.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
cbjfan said:
I remember Zherdev's first few games with the CBJ and how even after escaping Russia and flying have way across the world, he did things that had me leaning forward in my seat. And I doubt he played more than 6-7 minutes in those games. Did not get that feeling from Ovechekin.

Also, with all of his talent, I did not understand why Russia did not have him on the powerplay. To me, it would seem like a great opportunity to let him shine.

May I point out that Zherdev was not even considered for, let alone selected to, the Russian World Cup Team?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Foppa_Rules said:
May I point out that Zherdev was not even considered for, let alone selected to, the Russian World Cup Team?

May I point out that Zherdev left on terrible terms, and, provided there isnt a major patching up in the relationship between him and the Federation, he probobly will never play for Russia in a international tournament?

Hes playing in Russia right now, which should help. He probobly will never be a Pawn of the Russian Federation like Ovechkin is.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
You're both wrong. He WAS considered and the ONLY reason he's not on the team is that the Russian staff contacted him too late, so his passport wouldn't have been ready or something. I can find the article from Sovetsky Sport for you ...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Samkow said:
May I point out that Zherdev left on terrible terms, and, provided there isnt a major patching up in the relationship between him and the Federation, he probobly will never play for Russia in a international tournament?

Wrong. Zherdev signed a new contract with CSKA a couple of weeks ago.

He did left on terrible terms, but not with the Federation, or the league ... but only Tikhonov, who left CSKA.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
wilka91 said:
You're both wrong. He WAS considered and the ONLY reason he's not on the team is that the Russian staff contacted him too late, so his passport wouldn't have been ready or something. I can find the article from Sovetsky Sport for you ...

Yes I'd like to see this. I just didn't see him on any of the preliminary rosters so I assumed he wasn't seriously considered for the team. I'd like to read the article though if you have the link handy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ott = Snott said:
Anyone willing to share me if Modano looks like his usual self? Or is it still the same Mike we saw last year?

I was at the game and Modano looked great. He was flying up and down the ice and hit the post twice, once on a twisted wrister from 25 feet.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
I was at the game and Modano looked great. He was flying up and down the ice and hit the post twice, once on a twisted wrister from 25 feet.

Hitting the post twice just sums up the season he had. I don't think anyone had more bad luck, as in terms of posts, bars, unlucky bounces than Mike Modano had last year. Kinda destroyed his confidence..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ott = Snott said:
Hitting the post twice just sums up the season he had. I don't think anyone had more bad luck, as in terms of posts, bars, unlucky bounces than Mike Modano had last year. Kinda destroyed his confidence..

He had a pretty upbeat on ice demeanor, and between periods even addressed last year's struggles. He seems intent on redeeming himself. I guess we'll see.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Rabid Ranger said:
He had a pretty upbeat on ice demeanor, and between periods even addressed last year's struggles. He seems intent on redeeming himself. I guess we'll see.

I know he does. Just wanted to see if there was any truth to it, thanks for the info..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Ott = Snott said:
I know he does. Just wanted to see if there was any truth to it, thanks for the info..

No problem. The line of Modano, Tkachuk and Hull looked great. Everything you could ask for on that line. Tkachuk, Guerin and Konowalchuk were bumping heads all night long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->