PGT: Exhibition • North America 7 Europe 4 • 9/11/16 •

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Matthews shift by shift, just to add some context to the possession numbers.

I am a big believer in possession stats, but they need to be over long periods IMO. This shift by shift package will show you that Matthews did a lot more good than he did bad, but the possession got skewed at the end due to the empty net opportunities by Europe at the end.

That's just how possession in one game can go sometimes.

Is this a Matthews shift-by-shift or a Morgan Rielly blooper reel?

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Is this a Matthews shift-by-shift or a Morgan Rielly blooper reel?

Is this a joke?? He made a couple of mistakes but so did everyone else. He also made some great plays, including on the first goal. It seems as if fans from teams who have defenseman on this team like to chirp other defenseman. Rielly's overall game speaks for itself, it did all last year and it will this year. Get use to him on the top pairing and getting top minutes because it'll be like that all tournament.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, counting Corsis over two games is not particularly meaningful. That said, if Matthews's shot differentials continue to be weak after zone and score adjustments throughout the tournament it will be quite interesting.

Not very surprising considering that NHL rookies are almost invariably bad-to-mediocre at driving play regardless of individual offensive production but interesting nonetheless.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I think only generational type talents can come in at 18 and dominate. Pretty clear that the last draft didn't contain any Mcdavid's. Matthews, Laine, and the rest are going to struggle against the best in the world. For now.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think only generational type talents can come in at 18 and dominate. Pretty clear that the last draft didn't contain any Mcdavid's. Matthews, Laine, and the rest are going to struggle against the best in the world. For now.

Matthews looked awesome to me. His motor and strength on the puck is ridiculous. He is clearly ready for Top 6 minutes in the NHL. Beast.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
It was an entertaining game for sure. I thought N/A looked a fair bit better in the previous game but yesterday was good too.
There should be further adjustments made to the forward lines but yesterdays d pairings could stay the same.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

The word Generational gets thrown around a lot. A generational talent in my mind, is the best player of that generation (on the odd occasion debatable).

Mcdavid, Crosby, Gretzky would be those guys. So yes no generational talents came out 10 drafts (besides McDavid) and unless someone supplants McDavid, we wont see one for some time.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The word Generational gets thrown around a lot. A generational talent in my mind, is the best player of that generation (on the odd occasion debatable).

Mcdavid, Crosby, Gretzky would be those guys. So yes no generational talents came out 10 drafts (besides McDavid) and unless someone supplants McDavid, we wont see one for some time.

It's starting to feel like [people are using, Not generational, as a negative on players. We are seeing some Elite prospects over the past few years on several teams, btu since they are no McDavid they get talked down on. It isn't the majority doing it, but some posters just seem to have that mindset.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Doesn't surprise me that Matthews had the lowest corsi, he was impressive when in the offensive zone but not sure how many people noticed his line pinned in the defensive zone as well. I believe they were on for 2 or 3 goals against, but who cares I'd rather see the kind of stuff we saw from Matthews last game from highly drafted offense first player. I've seen Cooper stifle Drouin's creativity for 2 years, its a breath of fresh air seeing Matthews getting the chance to do that instead of being burried for a defensive game he will indoubtly pick up.

McDavid although not hitting the scoresheet had a ton of possession time and chances, this is why any sane person wouldn't exactly say he had a "bad" game. If you didn't McDavid was always doing work on defense and getting the puck of out the zone.

Drouin-Nuge-Mak had the best possession numbers and corsi for, which is also backed up by the eye test from last game, absolutely dominant line at keeping the puck in the offensive zone, the line that spent the least amount of time in their own zone as well.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I realize all NA posts will be mostly comments about Matthews and McDavid and them, but IMO there needs to be a lot more discussion of Parayko. He is a star in the making and will be a huge piece of Canadian teams for international tournys

Parayko is awesome. I think he's a lock to be in the starting lineup.

Going to come down to Trouba/Jones for the final spot.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
It was an entertaining game for sure. I thought N/A looked a fair bit better in the previous game but yesterday was good too.
There should be further adjustments made to the forward lines but yesterdays d pairings could stay the same.

RNH, Duouin and MacK line sure looks like a keeper...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad