PGT: Exhibition • North America 7 Europe 4 • 9/11/16 •

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Watch him play before discussing. He shoots left.

I watch him play and you are right he shoots left. but he plays the right side in philly. and although he shoots left he looks uncomfortable on the left side defensively.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I watch him play and you are right he shoots left. but he plays the right side in philly. and although he shoots left he looks uncomfortable on the left side defensively.

Doesn't really matter in these international tournaments. Handedness takes precedent which is what I was talking about. You'd rather have the better player playing on his strong hand side (even if it's not his typical position) over the worse player playing his weak side and his off hand.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep, Matthews with the worst 5v5 corsi on the entire team at 47.37%.

If the zone starts are correct he started in the offensive zone just 14.29% of the time though, so the adjusted corsi stats are likely going to be much better.

What would concern me a little is that Mark Scheifele is his line mate who had the exact same % of offensive zone starts as Matthews, but still managed to have much better corsi% at 55.56%. He did play more of the game, but that essentially means that without Matthews he did do far better than with Matthews. Saad had only slightly more offensive zone starts(16.67%) yet he's already at 60% corsi%.

It's pretty easy to conclude that with regards to possession, Matthews was the weakest link of his line.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Big Chara has been horrible those two games, he should just retire.

He was even plus/minus yesterday and laid out 6 hits the highest of anyone. It is basically pre-season on a team no one cares about here or back home, well there is no home country watching. In a few years your Weber will be as slow as him he may already be getting there from the games I watched. Well a 39 year old D-man has played what, 40 mins of hockey now since last April and this without a even a full-training camp.
And he's been up against arguably the fastest team ever assembled. Take a look at the teams roster, very underwhelming, a lot of prima donnas on Europe. I only seen Kopi and Bellemare play good so far

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yep, Matthews with the worst 5v5 corsi on the entire team at 47.37%.

If the zone starts are correct he started in the offensive zone just 14.29% of the time though, so the adjusted corsi stats are likely going to be much better.

What would concern me a little is that Mark Scheifele is his line mate who had the exact same % of offensive zone starts as Matthews, but still managed to have much better corsi% at 55.56%. He did play more of the game, but that essentially means that without Matthews he did do far better than with Matthews. Saad had only slightly more offensive zone starts(16.67%) yet he's already at 60% corsi%.

It's pretty easy to conclude that with regards to possession, Matthews was the weakest link of his line.

Don't think it's fair to tunnel vision on one stat to proclaim someone is the weakest link on a line. Pretty much everyone in the thread who watched the game thought he was a driving force and provided quality chances.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
When 13 of your 18 skaters get a point and McDavid isn't one of them...

I think I may be ready to jump on the North-America-is-making-the-Medal-Round bandwagon

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Matthews has been much better than the possession stats suggest, it's also important to point out that he's not playing his natural position either.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
These are the stats from yesterdays game: http://hockeystats.ca/game/2016080108

McDavid with 66.67 CF% leading the team

Matthews with 47.37 CF%, last place on the team

I am all for using advanced stats and everything as its a usefull tool. However its not the only way to evaluate a player which seems to be the only standard around here anymore, which is fataly flawed when you are actually watching and evaluating.

People are also acting like team Europe is some aweful group. They have more talent than the Czechs and fins (albeit the finns have a history of playing very well as a group). My point is these talented players are going to make plays and score goals if this was a team in the NHL it would be one of if not the best. With a 5-1 lead there are going to be breakdowns and for all the players on team Europe they have price and were probably embarassed. They have the least familiarity with one another of any team and had the least amount of time to gel. They also had to take on the most fresh and fastest team in the tournament thats not an easy transition from summer time especially when they are such an old team.

I see people ripping on Ghostesbeher I thought he made some really nice plays and showed his skill. He fits exactly what team NA is trying to accomplish high speed, high intensity puck posession with elite skill.

I dont know who to pull out of the lineup on the D core but I dont think its an easy decision.

Overall team N/A is scary good in my opinion the pace they play at is exactly the style the NHL is going.

I really dont think any of the forwards looked bad haha everyone showed up and had a good game in my opinion. I will say one thing Larkin is not the guy to sit his motor is too good, he has to stay in the lineup. I think Trocheck should be the player to sit after watching the two exibition games. I wonder if Miller will be in for him next game? Can Miller play right wing?

Drouin RNH Mackinnon despite not scoring looked unreal to me together. RNH really looks good.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
I don't particularly want to encourage Matthews hype, but he's the youngest guy on the team. He's playing a preseason, World Cup exhibition game. It's a one game sample size. I think you can pretty much get as much of an indication of his current and future play by sniffing a dog's butt as you can from those corsi stats.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Your Trouba agenda is obvious. I'd keep Ghost over Trouba easily. First he's a better player and second he's a left shot dman.

I'd sit Jones and bring Trouba in the next game if they want to keep handiness.

Rielly Ekblad
Murray Parayko
Ghostibere Trouba

Murray/Parayko can handle top lines too and alleviate some of the pressure Rielly and Ekblad get.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I could name 9 million reasons why this won't happen but I don't have time.

EDIT: I do have time. Dollars.

He's never ever lead any league or any team in scoring but the magic McGretzky powers playing in Edmonton will buc his trend for his second season huh? In the NHL no less.

Good luck with that :naughty:

Check out McDavid's draft year stats. He almost won the scoring title while playing 21 less games than the leader (Strome). And he had the 3rd best points per game in the entire league last season and is obviously only beginning to reach his insane potential. Don't act like it's any sort of a stretch at all if he won the Art Ross as early as this season.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Matthews shift by shift, just to add some context to the possession numbers.

I am a big believer in possession stats, but they need to be over long periods IMO. This shift by shift package will show you that Matthews did a lot more good than he did bad, but the possession got skewed at the end due to the empty net opportunities by Europe at the end.

That's just how possession in one game can go sometimes.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People are also acting like team Europe is some aweful group. They have more talent than the Czechs and fins (albeit the finns have a history of playing very well as a group). My point is these talented players are going to make plays and score goals if this was a team in the NHL it would be one of if not the best. With a 5-1 lead there are going to be breakdowns and for all the players on team Europe they have price and were probably embarassed. They have the least familiarity with one another of any team and had the least amount of time to gel. They also had to take on the most fresh and fastest team in the tournament thats not an easy transition from summer time especially when they are such an old team.

Agreed with this.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Team Europe is sandbagging a bit and just working out their kinks I.E Saving what they really have for when the tournament gets started(due to being a veteran team).

People are making far too much of tune up games

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I am a big believer in possession stats, but they need to be over long periods IMO. This shift by shift package will show you that Matthews did a lot more good than he did bad, but the possession got skewed at the end due to the empty net opportunities by Europe at the end.

Team Europe registered 0 5v5 shot attempts during the last 3 minutes and 30 seconds of the game. In other words, the sequence without a goaltender at the end did not count.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Team Europe registered 0 5v5 shot attempts during the last 3 minutes and 30 seconds of the game. In other words, the sequence without a goaltender at the end did not count.

I was referring to the all situations list, which is also highlighted in that link.

You are correct about the 5v5 though.

And even with that, looking at his 5v5 play in that link and it's obvious he's not to blame for the 'poor' possession metric.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

The game by game Corsi analysis culture we've ended up in is pretty ridiculous.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Auston Matthews is ridiculously talented and he's shown up and proven that he can not only play, but excel, in a best-on-best tournament at 18 years old.

FWIW, he's also not playing his natural position.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Physical =/= good defensively. I thought Jets fans were the big on that mantra.

Nowhere in that post do I see a claim that Trouba was better defensively because he's physical. Physical != bad defensively either. Also, you should check out HFJets at some point. Surprisingly, there are a myriad of opinions on there.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I realize all NA posts will be mostly comments about Matthews and McDavid and them, but IMO there needs to be a lot more discussion of Parayko. He is a star in the making and will be a huge piece of Canadian teams for international tournys

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I realize all NA posts will be mostly comments about Matthews and McDavid and them, but IMO there needs to be a lot more discussion of Parayko. He is a star in the making and will be a huge piece of Canadian teams for international tournys

He's a monster.

He'll probably be a top ten d-man in the NHL in two years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The game by game Corsi analysis culture we've ended up in is pretty ridiculous.

Isn't that the truth.

Auston Matthews is ridiculously talented and he's shown up and proven that he can not only play, but excel, in a best-on-best tournament at 18 years old.

FWIW, he's also not playing his natural position.

Matthews, a kid from Arizona, will be leading the Leafs for years. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad