GDT: Exhibition • Canada vs. Sweden • Dec. 20 • 8 PM ET • 2 AM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Obviously you cannot let the hit just go. You let this go and you will be back to the brawls we've seen before at the tournament. Ultimately teams will simply send in goon squads to even up with the Canadians

People who think that Canadians are the only tough people in the world or feel more macho coming on here and talking about 'tough Canadian hockey' are idiots. Probably suffer from some sort of inferiority complex, or some big hole in their lives, and need to compensate.

There are plenty of tough Americans, Swedes, Russians and people of any nationality.

The guy who showed toughness in this incident was the player who took a nasty elbow to his face, and probably a broken nose, and played through it. Anyone who thinks Cormier showed toughness on the play is truly mixed up. This was not tough hockey but dirty and cheap hockey and should be dismissed by any thinking person. Have other people engaged in dirty and cheap hockey? Well sure. But what's the logic in saying one dirty play justifies other dirty plays. Last time I looked you couldn't defend yourself from a theft charge because other people also steal.

The play was very undisciplined and I worry about the coaching. Canadians turn to this type of hockey and their play will completely unravel. I thought the last couple of years the team was gaining a decent reputation for hard but disciplined hockey. Type of hockey Cromier played here is pushing us back into the sewer in terms of international opinion on Canadian hockey.

espo*

They are going to think that about Canada anyway, especially when they lose to Canada.

hell, they've practically been brought up to think that way about Canadas game, one roll around the boards at HF should show you that.

i've seen dirty plays by all the teams at this thing and when i average it out i can't say any team is any worse for cheap stuff then the other, at the senior level too.

the cormier thing is just something fans can latch onto after a loss at the moment.

if my memory serves me correctly Jack Johnson wasn't even suspended for his elbow on Downie a few years back and that tournament was in Canada too.

This Cormier and ref biased stuff is just pissed off after a loss sabre rattling.

JeffYear92*

great point

Sweden showed a lot of class

leaving the ice early without shaking the Canadian's players hands

Why isnt this being discussed?????

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
great point

Respect and class go both ways.

I'm perfectly fine with what Sweden did. That Cormier hit was stupid beyond words. An exhibition game shouldn't be played like this.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Don't like the Cormier hit, and you could tell by the way the game was flowing that someone was going to make a stupid decision.

Don't like Team Sweden leaving the ice, it's just plain disrespectful and they blew a chance to take the high road.

I can't freaking wait for a rematch.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
They are going to think that about Canada anyway, especially when they lose to Canada.

hell, they've practically been brought up to think that way about Canadas game, one roll around the boards at HF should show you that.

i've seen dirty plays by all the teams at this thing and when i average it out i can't say any team is any worse for cheap stuff then the other, at the senior level too.

the cormier thing is just something fans can latch onto after a loss at the moment.

if my memory serves me correctly Jack Johnson wasn't even suspended for his elbow on Downie a few years back and that tournament was in Canada too.

This Cormier and ref biased stuff is just pissed off after a loss sabre rattling.

If I remember correctly, Johnson wasn't suspended because he didn't actually make contact with Downie.

I don't care what team he's on, that Cormier play was something I'd expect from an LNAH game, not from the captain of the Canadian national team.

Davebo*

I'm perfectly fine with what Sweden did. That Cormier hit was stupid beyond words. An exhibition game shouldn't be played like this.

So, one player on our team makes a bone headed mistake - spur of the moment, so in your mind it's fine to insult the host nation and the fans at the rink by not attending the end of game ceremony.

Hey - don't shake Cormier's hand - that I'd understand. But the whole team scurrying off the ice? Looked childish and pathetic.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
If I remember correctly, Johnson wasn't suspended because he didn't actually make contact with Downie.

I don't care what team he's on, that Cormier play was something I'd expect from an LNAH game, not from the captain of the Canadian national team.

TSN did a frame by frame of the Johnson hit and he did hit Downie.

justPlay

(>‿◠)✌
Jan 10, 2009
So, one player on our team makes a bone headed mistake - spur of the moment, so in your mind it's fine to insult the host nation and the fans at the rink by not attending the end of game ceremony.

Hey - don't shake Cormier's hand - that I'd understand. But the whole team scurrying off the ice? Looked childish and pathetic.

What? It takes so little? :laugh:

Davebo*

I really wish that Cormier hadn't thrown that elbow.

If only to see if the swedes can be magnanimous in defeat - ever. Have we ever beaten them 'fair and square' in their eyes?

Without that elbow, what would the swedes be chirping about?

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
It looks like most of the talk is being directed around the chippiness of the game when the most important part is being overlooked, Canada totally outplayed Sweden in this tilt.

And that is what it is all about, not about chest thumping posturing.

Wouldn't it all be more fullfilling to just beat the top dog and celebrate instead of complain?

I would think so, so do it.

Until that happens,please hold off on the sour grapes until at least the medal round games.

They got outmatched in an exhibition game, big deal.

at least akagenokeri seems to get that.

...and this is correct.

I have made several post, and somehow the message got lost:

I love the North American style of hockey, and I think Sweden for one would gain A LOT from learning amd developing the skill sets required to play a more physical style of game. Because Canada is great at playing the physical style we all enjoy to watch, it's relatively safe. We can always argue potential injury risks associated with one style or the other, but it would yield nothing. All sports have risk associated with it, soccer, boxing, basketball, etc.

What I object to is the silly stuff, behind the play, like Cromier's elbow.
Nobody here is trying to argue that the refs gave Canada the victory, at least not that I have seen, and my initial posts should clearly demonstrate that I think Sweden beat itself again by acting silly and concerning itself with everything but hockey, seemingly.

What I see from the other fans here is not frustration about winning or losing though. I hear people being fed up with "yet another incident" of unsportsmanlike conduct from Team Canada.

I agree that the Swedish coach needs to have his boys shake hands after the game.
Moron move not to. All he is doing is firing these kids up, the wrong way, so that instead of focusing on playing hockey, they might get so wrapped up in bitterness that they lose all concepts and do something really stupid. Who knows? These are young men in a quite stressful situation. How a responsible adult can encourage and setting this tone for his team is beyond me. Tons of respect lost for him.

But from a Swedish perspective, Team Canada needs to clean its act up quite a bit before the sportsmanship issue will be taken for real. We're talking about decades of Canadian players, officials, and managers doing anything from busting into practices and meeting rooms, screaming, threatening, and sabotaging to crap moves with serious intent to hurt. So, to hear about how upset people are becasue a team didn't see it being worthwhile to shake hands, is rather easy to dismiss to say the least.

That being said, none of that was going on last night, and Canada won the game because they played much better. I thought Team Sweden would have learned something from last year, but I guess they didn't.

"You can always tell a Swede, but you can't tell him much."

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

Dirty Hit? No

Physical Play? Absolutely

Sweden knew what they were getting from Canada (physical play) even though it's exhibition. Remember the hit on Hedman last year?

A really stupid play by Cormier, and I wouldn't be against is it if he got suspended. I think we can do without him against Latvia.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
great point

Canadians need to stop crying about this.

Captain Cormier (captain as in representing the ENTIRE team canada) threw a dirty elbow in intent to injure.

Sweden decided that they weren't going to respect a team that didn't respect them.

So stop crying and move on.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I think 90% of us agree that it was a dirty play, and he should be suspended for a game (that'd be 1/6 games).

so Swedish fans relax about the hit. Now, Canada dominating should be a worry for them, but Sweden has the talent and will to beat Canada on any given day. They came out really strong and if it wasn't for Allen, it could've been 2-0 Sweden, but after that was total domination.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Euhm... no.
The Swedes honestly don't know what they are doing, especially not on nights like this.
They don't play this way at home; the large ice do not generate the kind of physical play they see against TC on small ice, and whereas they are FAST, they are not used to playing QUICK (if that makes any sense at all).

Now, when they start worrying about "sending a message" or "stand up" to TC, they are worrying about all the wrong things, which pretty much all the TC boys said after the game.

The Swedes need to understand that they first and foremost must play hockey. If you want to be physical make it a part of the game. Look at Canada's opening goal, the Swedish defender, #2, looks at the puck instead of focusing on the player and gets smoked like a cheap cigar. If you want to install a little respect, level the guy and worry about the puck later.

Same thing with the 2-0 goal. Weak goaltending ofr certain, but the problem is in the neutral zone way before that, when the Swedish defenseman needs to bury the Canadian kid just as he gets the puck then the break will never happen.

We can go on and on about it, but my point is, unless they are going to bring some head bangers ball to the game, the Swedes may as well skate around and try to outmanuever the Canadian kids, which they possibly could, because when they skate around and try to "bring the pain" with sticks, poor hitting, and ridiculous after-the-whistle-theatrix, they either draw stupid penalties or get themselves out of position (get overplayed). Their heads are for sure not focused on scoring goals.

For whatever ungodly reason, Team Sweden decided to leave out several promissing prospects, who earned their wings in the CHL and could have provided much needed leadership to this team, on behalf of those "well behaved, staying at home boys" and that's fine and dandy, but please don't expect these kids to be able to handle or match the heat and the physicality that a North American team brings on small ice.

Had this been a thxgiving dinner, the Swedes would have "tried" (A for effort), but instead of turkey, mash, and stuffing, they would have come up with roasted chicken, french fries, and lingonberry jam. Either call in the kids who have learned the ropes over here, or stay with preparing meatballs and potatoes, which we do best, and try to succeed with that.

On a bright note, at least Markström stayed on his feet. I was waiting for him to start flopping around like a one-legged-clown, so I guess I need to be appreciative of him saving me at least that embarrassment.

I think you're over reacting, it was just an exhibition game, and if there was anytime to get emotional and stand up for themselves, it was this game. It didn't matter how well they played or if they won or lost, all that matters is Canada knows that they stand up for themselves.

Besides, lossing their cool and playing like idiots today will only help them going forward, more game tape to look at and more to learn from.

espo*

? Johnson made contact with him, at least my memory says he did.

But who cares? there are lot's of players on all the teams over the past years that have made dirty plays, it's hardly just Canada and everyone being "honest" would admit that.

There are hundreds of examples of players from all teams getting out of line, hell, the swedish player hitting hall from behind was out of line too. Is he a discrace to his team and country too? what about markstrom diving to get a cheap couple of calls in last years gold medal final?

in other words, every team does it, i don't see your point in singling cormier out.

The game was 6-2 in favour of Canada, no way cormier and what he did brought about that score.

That's the point. which some people seem to be missing.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I think 90% of us agree that it was a dirty play, and he should be suspended for a game (that'd be 1/6 games).

so Swedish fans relax about the hit. Now, Canada dominating should be a worry for them, but Sweden has the talent and will to beat Canada on any given day. They came out really strong and if it wasn't for Allen, it could've been 2-0 Sweden, but after that was total domination.

I think its a heck of a lot closer to 100%, if anyone doesn't think that was dirty should give their head a shake.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Hand shaking should be at the beginning of the game, not at the end.

No. In IIHF hockey, you always shake hands after the games.
It's totally absurd that Sweden didn't, and I have a fair idea of why they didn't, which to say the least is childish. :shakehead

espo*

Exactly.

Davebo*

Canadians need to stop crying about this.

Captain Cormier (captain as in representing the ENTIRE team canada) threw a dirty elbow in intent to injure.

Sweden decided that they weren't going to respect a team that didn't respect them.

Swedes need to stop crying about that missed elbow. The coaching staff (representing the ENTIRE team) needs to show more class, and rise above a simple hockey play.

The IIHF will take a look, probably at the elbow and the abuse of offiicals, as well.

YES - THE ELBOW WAS DIRTY. WE ALL AGREE. WE ALL AGREE THAT THE SWEDES ACTED CHILDISHLY AT THE END OF THE GAME.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Swedes need to stop crying about that missed elbow. The coaching staff (representing the ENTIRE team) needs to show more class, and rise above a simple hockey play.

The IIHF will take a look, probably at the elbow and the abuse of offiicals, as well.

You've been quoting me all night long, so here, i'll quote you back so you'll feel like you've been seen :laugh:

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
I think you're over reacting, it was just an exhibition game, and if there was anytime to get emotional and stand up for themselves, it was this game. It didn't matter how well they played or if they won or lost, all that matters is Canada knows that they stand up for themselves.

Besides, lossing their cool and playing like idiots today will only help them going forward, more game tape to look at and more to learn from.

They did the same thing last year, in the finals... and the year before... and so on...

They never learn.

You can't play one style 355 days out of the year, and then come to the WJC's and try to play another with great success.

Their idea of standing up for themselves should be connected to efforts that make a positivie difference on the scoreboard, and the jackass coach telling the kids to not shake hands after the game, is telling me that he has no intention on focusing these kids head's on playing hockey, but rather how to worry about things they have no control over, like Team Canada, refs, or whatever. They are out of their league when trying to pull off this kind of crap.

Canada is clearly in their heads for all the wrong reasons, and it shows.

JeffYear92*

thats another good point

how physical the Swedish players were with the refs and the lineman

In the CHL,,you get a game or more for pushing a linesman or even abusing them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad